An Old School Catholic Message Board

Reasons For Veiling

Lil Red

Archaeology cat

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1619200' date='Aug 6 2008, 06:01 PM']I do it because the feel of the thing on my head reminds me that I should be praying. With my attention span, that's very useful :)[/quote]
:yes: I understand that.

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1619200' date='Aug 6 2008, 06:01 PM']And also, I don't have to worry about my hair..[/quote]
Yeah, I definitely don't worry about my hair as much (or at all) now. Which is probably a good thing. :lol:

+J.M.J.+
i thought of a kinda snarky reason:

if Muslim women can do it, why can't Catholic women?

speaking to those who believe that everything Muslim is cool and right (of course [b]it's[/b] not an oppressive, paternalistic society, but Catholicism is! :rolleyes: )

HisChildForever

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1619431' date='Aug 6 2008, 03:52 PM']+J.M.J.+
i thought of a kinda snarky reason:

if Muslim women can do it, why can't Catholic women?

speaking to those who believe that everything Muslim is cool and right (of course [b]it's[/b] not an oppressive, paternalistic society, but Catholicism is! :rolleyes: )[/quote]

I feel that with Islam, women are forced to hide their beauty, but in Catholicism (in terms of veiling), women are encouraged to embrace their beauty.

dominicansoul

I used to veil, but then my veil got worn out and tiny tears became larger holes, until I could slip the whole thing over my head and wear it like a scarf...

Interesting fact: Nashville Dominican postulants veil, DSMME postulants do not

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1619447' date='Aug 6 2008, 02:02 PM']I feel that with Islam, women are forced to hide their beauty, but in Catholicism (in terms of veiling), women are encouraged to embrace their beauty.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
lol, i was just pointing out that ironic for people to say it's okay for Muslim women to veil because of their religion, but Catholic women are mocked/made fun of for the same thing.

puellapaschalis

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1619451' date='Aug 6 2008, 11:08 PM']I used to veil, but then my veil got worn out and tiny tears became larger holes, until I could slip the whole thing over my head and wear it like a scarf...[/quote]

My white mantilla got ripped when VA ripped it off my head once <_<

I think I may have asked this before on here, but why wear a veil as a headcovering rather than a hat? A hat is less conspicuous, serves the same purpose and is surely more practical: it shouldn't fall off, for a start.

Edited by Deeds

[quote name='Deeds' post='1619720' date='Aug 6 2008, 05:56 PM']I think I may have asked this before on here, but why wear a veil as a headcovering rather than a hat? A hat is less conspicuous, serves the same purpose and is surely more practical: it shouldn't fall off, for a start.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
:idontknow: i'm actually using a 'prayer shawl' right now. not an actual mantilla veil.

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Deeds' post='1619720' date='Aug 6 2008, 07:56 PM']I think I may have asked this before on here, but why wear a veil as a headcovering rather than a hat? A hat is less conspicuous, serves the same purpose and is surely more practical: it shouldn't fall off, for a start.[/quote]

Maybe in other women's cases a hat is less conspicuous, but in mine I really don't think it would be. I just do not see women wearing hats anymore. And with a hat, there is just so much more one has to take into consideration because it is something much more known of in the world. I would worry about how big the hat was, what color the hat was, how it coordinated with what I was wearing. With a veil, it is simply something for Church and especially used and known for just that. It takes up no room and can be worn with anything despite color. I might wear a hat and deal with all the questions about size, color, and shape if there were also more women wearing hats in my parish, but no one does.

I like the idea that Mary veiled too. She did not wear a hat.

Plus, a baseball cap just doesn't fit into a church scene, and those that are suppose to .... well they have all kinds of decorations on them and fuzzy and feathery things sticking out of them. I suppose you could just get a plane black hat... St. Gemma Galgani wore a plane black hat.

I also think the veil is more feminine then the hat.

Anyway it goes I would draw attention whether I wore a hat or a veil, simply because no one else is wearing them... except the boy who took it off when coming into Church.

Edited by TotusTuusMaria

TeresaBenedicta

Veiling to me seems to be a very beautiful thing and I've considered doing so a few times. (In fact, a group of friends and I are considering to all start together.) But actually, one thing that has deterred me, is that I have no idea how I would respond to people asking why I veil... the only thing I can think of is that it's a beautiful outward sign/reminder of humility and obedience to God.

So, I like reading these answers.

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1619124' date='Aug 6 2008, 11:07 AM']Really short answer: because I believe that women should cover their heads when in church (I say "to cover one's head" rather than veiling because a headcovering doesn't necessarily have to be a veil).

Less short answer: because St. Paul said so and because women have done so throughout the life of the Church; it shows the dignity of a woman, it directs her beauty towards that beauty's Creator and is a consequence of her unique relationship [i]as a woman[/i] with God.

Non-short answer: Shall we get a cup of tea and have a chat?[/quote]

Great answer

TeresaBenedicta

I found a very beautiful article on veiling, if anyone's interested in reading it:

[url="http://culbreath.wordpress.com/2008/07/15/veiling-the-sacred/"]http://culbreath.wordpress.com/2008/07/15/...ing-the-sacred/[/url]

melporcristo

JMJ

Because Momma Mary does it.
:-)

Unfortunately, I don't wear mine too much anymore because its too distracting in the regular N.O. Mass, but I love wearing the veil at the Latin Mass!

puellapaschalis

[quote name='Deeds' post='1619720' date='Aug 7 2008, 02:56 AM']I think I may have asked this before on here, but why wear a veil as a headcovering rather than a hat? A hat is less conspicuous, serves the same purpose and is surely more practical: it shouldn't fall off, for a start.[/quote]

There's a lady in my parish who wears a hat in church all the time. It's not in the way (I dislike the way some ladies come in with hats so large they keep an area around them measuring about a yard radius free because of it) and at least in the society where I am it's not as "out there" as a mantilla. Another lady has an enormous piece of fabric she covers her whole head, neck and shoulders with. I generally have a piece of fabric wrapped around my head and tied at the back. Occasionally a mantilla.

Mantillas, when you get them fixed on right, don't fall off (although with VA around you're seldom safe).

What kind of headcovering it is is really a personal style question, up to the individual lady, maybe with help from her husband.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Deeds' post='1619720' date='Aug 7 2008, 12:56 AM']I think I may have asked this before on here, but why wear a veil as a headcovering rather than a hat? A hat is less conspicuous, serves the same purpose and is surely more practical: it shouldn't fall off, for a start.[/quote]
I actually wear a Pashmina scarf; it's almost the same colour as my hair.

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1619865' date='Aug 7 2008, 03:52 AM']Veiling to me seems to be a very beautiful thing and I've considered doing so a few times. (In fact, a group of friends and I are considering to all start together.) But actually, one thing that has deterred me, is that I have no idea how I would respond to people asking why I veil... the only thing I can think of is that it's a beautiful outward sign/reminder of humility and obedience to God.

So, I like reading these answers.[/quote]
I was worried about it as well at first, but I've only been questioned once. And that was when I had the Pashmina just down instead of tied around a bun, and someone asked me if I was changing religions (I guess she thought I looked Muslim wearing that :idontknow: ) I do think it could be easier if a group of you were all going to start doing it together.

[quote name='melporcristo' post='1619965' date='Aug 7 2008, 06:04 AM']Unfortunately, I don't wear mine too much anymore because its too distracting in the regular N.O. Mass, but I love wearing the veil at the Latin Mass![/quote]
There's at least one older lady who also veils at my church (it's an English NO Mass), so I don't feel too distracting. Maybe it helps that I sit with a Pakistani family, and sometimes they have the scarf over their heads, instead of just on the shoulders. :) Or maybe they just figure the crazy American is going to be weird. :lol: