An Old School Catholic Message Board

Fasting

jckinsman

[quote name='SpareTime' post='1649511' date='Sep 6 2008, 09:05 PM']Lenten fasting is especially hard for me because I hate fish (I don't think I'd eat it even if I liked fish because I think that's kind of a loophole and misses the point of giving up meat.... but that's another thread) so I usually give up something that I really really really like (like my starbucks addiction) instead of dealing directly with ultra-low-calorie fasts.[/quote]

I think that is a great topic though that I have talked with others on. I understand the whole point of not eating meat. I think that these days though seafood is an expensive food and not a very penitential food anymore . Although that is why this is called "abstinence". The fasting part should consist of something a little more simple and plain. People going out and buying Seafood kinda misses the point.

Mortify pointed me in the direction of fisheaters.com. :fisherman:

Edited by jckinsman

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1649730' date='Sep 7 2008, 12:45 AM']I'm sure I can think of something that's hard but won't kill me. :)[/quote]

Lent :annoyed:

Isn't it funny what we find tough! <_< I think that we are just big sissy's :sweat:

[quote name='jckinsman' post='1649744' date='Sep 7 2008, 01:04 AM']Lent :annoyed:

Isn't it funny what we find tough! <_< I think that we are just big sissy's :sweat:[/quote]
Maybe I should sleep without a pillow. Now *that* would be tough. Usually I sleep with four. Although I wouldn't want to give myself neck problems.
Hehe, I could sleep on the floor a few days a week.
Now that I think about it..............
Well now I'm honestly considering it. Darn, that's sorta exactly what I'm looking for. :( Hard but not traumatizing. Argh!

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1649748' date='Sep 7 2008, 01:09 AM']Maybe I should sleep without a pillow. Now *that* would be tough. Usually I sleep with four. Although I wouldn't want to give myself neck problems.
Hehe, I could sleep on the floor a few days a week.
Now that I think about it..............
Well now I'm honestly considering it. Darn, that's sorta exactly what I'm looking for. :( Hard but not traumatizing. Argh![/quote]
My vote is on one pillow on the floor twice a week,then no pillows on the bed three times a week and to finish off the week with one pillow on the bed for half the night wake up at 3am(of course pray a rosary) Then hit the floor and use your shoe for a pillow the rest of the night. :seesaw: Yes 40 days should be done in no time. Music permitted though.

[quote name='jckinsman' post='1649763' date='Sep 7 2008, 01:33 AM']My vote is on one pillow on the floor twice a week,then no pillows on the bed three times a week and to finish off the week with one pillow on the bed for half the night wake up at 3am(of course pray a rosary) Then hit the floor and use your shoe for a pillow the rest of the night. :seesaw: Yes 40 days should be done in no time. Music permitted though.[/quote]
At first I thought you were serious. You're not... are you? :unsure:
If I end up using this idea... one pillow on the floor... maybe three times a week?
Waking up at 3 for a rosary would be unfair to my family. ;) My alarm clock is sooooo loud. Otherwise it's a good idea.
...but darn! I wish I weren't so creative. The fact that I thought of this means I'll probably have to do it. <_<
Next He'll be asking me to walk on water or something.......

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1649767' date='Sep 7 2008, 01:36 AM']At first I thought you were serious. You're not... are you? :unsure:
If I end up using this idea... one pillow on the floor... maybe three times a week?
Waking up at 3 for a rosary would be unfair to my family. ;) My alarm clock is sooooo loud. Otherwise it's a good idea.
...but darn! I wish I weren't so creative. The fact that I thought of this means I'll probably have to do it. <_<
Next He'll be asking me to walk on water or something.......[/quote]
Gotta' love computers huh? You just never know what the author is really thinking do you? :detective: If you wake them up you could make it a family rosary, you know!!?? Me,???? I think fasting is looking pretty good right about now! :eat:

Be very very careful with any fasting. People tend to overdo this stuff at the detriment of their health. Loosing 35 pounds that quickly could do some real damage to ones body. Anything excessive is not God driven.
If you have any medical conditions do not do this. It could make someone wth diabetes very ill or worse.
Give up something, if you believe you have to. Just be careful, alot of people get carried away. Why not do something constructive like volunteer your time at a local charity, read at a senior citizens home, help out a neighbor.

[quote name='alicemary' post='1649881' date='Sep 7 2008, 11:28 AM']Be very very careful with any fasting. People tend to overdo this stuff at the detriment of their health. Loosing 35 pounds that quickly could do some real damage to ones body. Anything excessive is not God driven.
If you have any medical conditions do not do this. It could make someone wth diabetes very ill or worse.
Give up something, if you believe you have to. Just be careful, alot of people get carried away. Why not do something constructive like volunteer your time at a local charity, read at a senior citizens home, help out a neighbor.[/quote]
Agreed, I do not think that it should be used as a weight loss program under the context of "offering it up" Are we not called to fast without anyone knowing???? If you lose 35 pounds I think that people would notice. Am I wrong on this?? I was very careful when I did the lenten season but it was more about giving up any excesses. Not starving yourself to death. As I said It was very hard and I have not been really good about it since. Our Blessed Mother seems like she always calls us to fast and pray. It must be a powerful thing. I think Phatmass should have a day when we all do it together.A pinned one. Offer an intention once a month and pick a day and a prayer for the day. What do you think? JC

[quote name='jckinsman' post='1651068' date='Sep 9 2008, 12:50 AM']Agreed, I do not think that it should be used as a weight loss program under the context of "offering it up" Are we not called to fast without anyone knowing???? If you lose 35 pounds I think that people would notice. Am I wrong on this?? I was very careful when I did the lenten season but it was more about giving up any excesses. Not starving yourself to death. As I said It was very hard and I have not been really good about it since. Our Blessed Mother seems like she always calls us to fast and pray. It must be a powerful thing. I think Phatmass should have a day when we all do it together.A pinned one. Offer an intention once a month and pick a day and a prayer for the day. What do you think? JC[/quote]
I think that would be immensely powerful. Good idea!

Just for the intentions of the Holy Father or something, so no one can argue about it. :saint:

[quote name='philothea' post='1651566' date='Sep 9 2008, 02:36 PM']I think that would be immensely powerful. Good idea!

Just for the intentions of the Holy Father or something, so no one can argue about it. :saint:[/quote]

That sounds good! We should have someone pin it though so we are all on the same page. They can check in. Once a month (pick the same day every month,like the first Friday's or the 1st of every month) and the intention and a prayer to coinside with the intention. Like for the Holy Fathers intention this month,What it might be and then a prayer is added to the day of fast. I do not know how to do this though so someone would have to take over here. JC

Hmmmmmm?????? I know a boring topic to some but if I would have titled this"SEX" how long? and how often? I would have got everyone to read. I guess fasting and prayer just does not have that same excitement!!!!!! Go figure that one out?????

Hahaha, yes, well. Maybe if you added some politics...

I was thinking of giving people a few days, and then maybe posting something new calling for volunteers. It's possible people stopped reading new entries on this topic.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Paddington' post='1652978' date='Sep 11 2008, 09:35 AM']If you want responses, insult people. :mellow:[/quote]
Like what do you suggest?????? and should it be really nasty? somewhat nasty? or just subltly nasty?

"Being Insulting" and "Fasting and Prayer" don't mix well either! <_< You go first! :unsure:

Fasting cobined with prayer is definitely powerful. As to how often and how long- outside the days the Church sets aside, I think it is up to the individual? I ‘ve always been taught that if you’re fasting, you must control your irritability so that nobody else knows that you are fasting.

Many of my friends and siblings fast regularly and have resolved to try to fast as a group. For example, this year -providing they are in good health- they are on bread and water twice a week, nothing from good Friday to Easter Sunday morning, and no food from 3:00pm to 4:00 pm daily (hour of Mercy). But they are joyous with it. They also pray a lot, and offer it up for common intentions (e.g. for the intentions of Our Holy Father). I don’t think they could get there without prayer. I try to do some of that, but often fail. :(

Growing up we never had meat on Fridays, and so I’ve kept that with my kids as well. It’s an easy thing to build into the weekly menu, can be substituted with fish, and also helps the shopping budget- good quality meat is expensive.

I think it’s difficult when somebody offers you food that they have cooked especially, not knowing that you are fasting. I’ve been rude in the past, where I have asked if I could take the food with me and have it the next day. I guess it depends on the situation- I think if it’s not a Church mandated fast, then it’s better to accept food rather than to offend someone. My two pence.