An Old School Catholic Message Board

Canadian Election

Mari Therese

After hearing so much about the American election on the news, I feel as if I have hardly the energy to endure the one in Canada. I just don't care... :stretcher:

I have officially banished my husband's political TV watching to the bedroom. On a day when Saudi Arabia left OPEC, the US ambassador was kicked out of Bolivia, and Hurricane Ike was headed towards Texas, all I got to see was Stephen Harper.

[quote name='Mari Therese' post='1654343' date='Sep 13 2008, 12:14 AM']Believe me, there isn't any one worth voting for. I'm voting for whoever causes the least damage.[/quote]
sounds like the American election :cyclops:

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1655674' date='Sep 14 2008, 10:25 PM']I thought that Canada was still ruled by Great Britain's Royal Family or something. hehe[/quote]

Technically, yes we are. The Queen of England remains the head of Canada; she still has to sign all our laws (although the governer general signs them for her 'cause she can't make enough time for us - hmmpph, grumble).

Personally I have had more than enough with Canada and the more I look at it, the more I'm thinking of emigrating somewhere else - Poland comes to mind.

[quote name='Didacus' post='1655774' date='Sep 15 2008, 07:04 AM']Technically, yes we are. The Queen of England remains the head of Canada; she still has to sign all our laws (although the governer general signs them for her 'cause she can't make enough time for us - hmmpph, grumble).

Personally I have had more than enough with Canada and the more I look at it, the more I'm thinking of emigrating somewhere else - Poland comes to mind.[/quote]

My husband wants me to apply for my Irish passport so that he can get one once we've been married 3 years, and then we could move anywhere in the EU. I just hate the idea of trying to apply for my grandparent's birth certificates, if they even have one. My dad didn't. He was born at home, and the only thing he had was a baptismal certificate.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1655860' date='Sep 15 2008, 10:53 AM']My husband wants me to apply for my Irish passport so that he can get one once we've been married 3 years, and then we could move anywhere in the EU. I just hate the idea of trying to apply for my grandparent's birth certificates, if they even have one. My dad didn't. He was born at home, and the only thing he had was a baptismal certificate.[/quote]

Do you know if a Canadien birth certificate gives the same right since technically we are part of the British empire?

Bring back the Union-Jack! Ha! I love that.

[quote name='Didacus' post='1655909' date='Sep 15 2008, 12:45 PM']Do you know if a Canadien birth certificate gives the same right since technically we are part of the British empire?

Bring back the Union-Jack! Ha! I love that.[/quote]

No, Ireland has a special return rule. So many Irish had to immigrate over the years, that they wanted to make sure their kids and grandkids could return. You have to show birth certificates for everyone, and fill out a form to receive your passport. My father in law holds American and British passports, but didn't fill out the forms for my husband to have dual citizenship, and now it's too late. In certain circumstances, you can even claim Irish citizenship from a great-grandparent.

[quote name='Didacus' post='1655774' date='Sep 15 2008, 08:04 AM']Technically, yes we are. The Queen of England remains the head of Canada; she still has to sign all our laws (although the governer general signs them for her 'cause she can't make enough time for us - hmmpph, grumble).[/quote]

The Queen is technically supposed to sign off on the laws? I honestly didn't know that. But she doesn't actually do that ...so that is just an un-enforced formality?

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1658047' date='Sep 18 2008, 01:52 AM']The Queen is technically supposed to sign off on the laws? I honestly didn't know that. But she doesn't actually do that ...so that is just an un-enforced formality?[/quote]

The queen's representative, the Governer General, signs off in her stead.

One incident in the 1970s I believe was put on record with the Queen refusing to sign a certain law (don't know which one). After a brief call from the Canadien Prime minister, the Queen signed the law and nothing of the sort was ever heard of again. So yes, it is a formality of sorts, but by law, nothing can come into force in Canada without the signature of the Queen or her representative.