An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anybody Read Sci Fi Fantasies?

cmotherofpirl

Have you read any McMaster Bujold? How about Jim Butcher? Terry Pratchett? I can't get enough of those authors.

Just read a book that instantly wa put in my top 10: Old Man's War.
It was good, but didn't bump Ender's Game from its pedestal.

[quote name='Cow of Shame' post='1657806' date='Sep 17 2008, 09:53 PM']Have you read any McMaster Bujold? How about Jim Butcher? Terry Pratchett? I can't get enough of those authors.

It was good, but didn't bump Ender's Game from its pedestal.[/quote]
Bujold is fabulous. Pratchett is hysterical. Deliberately haven't read Butcher, because I am irked at urban fantasy. (Never claimed to be reasonable.)

I am not surprised that you liked Old Man's War. I found it a little, ah... bratty, I suppose. I have been told that the sequels get a bit more plotty. Do you follow Scalzi's blog?

Ender's Game is definitely one of the greats. Did you like any of the sequels?

[quote name='Cow of Shame' post='1657806' date='Sep 17 2008, 08:53 PM']Have you read any McMaster Bujold? How about Jim Butcher? Terry Pratchett? I can't get enough of those authors.

It was good, but didn't bump Ender's Game from its pedestal.[/quote]

Terry Pratchett is hilarious.

[quote name='philothea' post='1657820' date='Sep 17 2008, 10:06 PM']Ender's Game is definitely one of the greats. Did you like any of the sequels?[/quote]
I read all the sequels...

they were good. they weren't as awesome as the original, but I though they were worth the time it took to read them. though I wasn't crazy about the order he made up... :idontknow:

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1658667' date='Sep 18 2008, 08:32 PM']I have a bunch of them to get rid of if anyone is interested.[/quote]
... I'm interested. I shouldn't be, but I am. :)
what do you have?

[quote name='philothea' post='1657820' date='Sep 17 2008, 11:06 PM']Bujold is fabulous. Pratchett is hysterical. Deliberately haven't read Butcher, because I am irked at urban fantasy. (Never claimed to be reasonable.)

I am not surprised that you liked Old Man's War. I found it a little, ah... bratty, I suppose. I have been told that the sequels get a bit more plotty. Do you follow Scalzi's blog?

Ender's Game is definitely one of the greats. Did you like any of the sequels?[/quote]

You should give Butcher a try. He's got the Dresden series, which you are referring to, but also has a different set, "Codex Alera"...or as I call them, the Furies books. They're more of an alternative world/medieval setting.

I peeked in on Scalzi's blog, just because I loved Old Man's War so much. I've got his others on my library list. We'll see if they're any good. ...explain 'bratty'.

The sequels for Ender's Game were interesting, but progressively less engaging. I think if he wrote up his plot outlines & had Bujold write his stuff, it would be BRILLIANT. Same goes for his Homeworld series. The Alvin Maker series was good-ish. I was put off by his name-dropping...Lincoln, etc and the more blatant incorporation of Mormonism, which I've always found...well...kind of icky, really. *shrug* But I think I enjoyed reading Alvin Maker more than Homeworld. Although, it's been a LONG time since I read Homeworld.