An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Rosary Is A Gang Symbol

socalscout

Well that's what this school is telling this girl.

[url="http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,423143,00.html"]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,423143,00.html[/url]

P.S.

Its also not a piece of jewelry either

Edited by socalscout

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1656820' date='Sep 16 2008, 12:01 PM']I was under the impression that a rosary was [i]not[/i] to be worn as jewelry...[/quote]

There is a thread on that somewhere here.

You know I am going to start praying for the intelligence of the people that make up society..........

Edited by Balthazor

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1656920' date='Sep 16 2008, 05:40 PM']I saw a girl on the bus here with one tattooed on the side of her neck. It creeped me out.[/quote]
I wonder if that's a new way you could pray the rosary? As it's getting put on, you pray along.

:crazy:

I have to admit im guilty of wearing a rosary more then once. (Iv'e never been involved in gangs)
Some of them really do look fashionable in all the different colors.
I would never do this again though because I see how its takeing reverence away from God.
But I could see how someone lacking in the catholic faith could see it not being a big deal.
Does church teach on if its ok to wear it casually ? I know Bono does, is he catholic ?

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1656920' date='Sep 16 2008, 06:40 PM']I saw a girl on the bus here with one tattooed on the side of her neck. It creeped me out.[/quote]
Pfft. That's not going to help any with keeping count! Should at least have it tattooed on an arm, where it's visible.... :rolleyes:

[quote name='philothea' post='1656955' date='Sep 16 2008, 06:39 PM']Pfft. That's not going to help any with keeping count! Should at least have it tattooed on an arm, where it's visible.... :rolleyes:[/quote]

That's what I thought too. Besides, how much did that have to hurt getting it on the neck. I can't stand to even have a collar touch my neck. I have throat issues. I'd have to be put under general anesthetic.

princessgianna

i have always heard that wearing a Rosary around the neck like shows disrespect.

my cuz is in the Army and she got a tattooed cross and she was justifying by if she was hurt she had a cross always with her. :unsure: i was more concerned about treating our bodies as the Temple of the Holy Spirit with respect!

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1656954' date='Sep 16 2008, 07:37 PM']I have to admit im guilty of wearing a rosary more then once. (Iv'e never been involved in gangs)
Some of them really do look fashionable in all the different colors.
I would never do this again though because I see how its takeing reverence away from God.
But I could see how someone lacking in the catholic faith could see it not being a big deal.
[b]Does church teach on if its ok to wear it casually ? I know Bono does, is he catholic ?[/b][/quote]

While I was taught growing up that wearing a rosary is inherently disrespectful, this is patently false.

One may wear a rosary as a devotion to Our Lady, but may not wear it as jewelry. It's all about intent. If the rosary is worn out of devotion, then this is a VERY good thing.

To the OP:

This is frustrating. I can understand the desire to limit gang symbols in school. This is an important thing to do. The rosary is indeed worn as a gang symbol, so I can sorta understand where they're coming from here. I can also understand the desire to "normalize" dress -- I have no problem with having uniforms, along with a policy that specifies "no jewelry of ANY kind, including religious".

The problem is, not everyone who wears a rosary is trying to identify as a member of a gang. Many, like this girl, are wearing it out of devotion, or even style as noted before.

If not everyone who wears a rosary is a member of a specific gang, then it's not a very "good" gang symbol. A gang symbol's "value" comes from the fact that everyone who uses it are members of the gang, and that no one who wears it is not a member of the gang. Thus, you can look at someone, notice from their dress how they identify, and know without a doubt what gang they belong to.

Since this isn't the case with the rosary, gang members would need other flags to know for sure. I say that we should focus on these other factors (color of dress, tattoos, specific hats (Pittsburgh Pirates, here), rolled sleeves/pant legs, graffiti, direction of these things (left-right), various subtleties, etc), first. If it's a part of normal dress, then I say not to make it an issue.

Kris

Edited by mommas_boy

[quote name='princessgianna' post='1657037' date='Sep 16 2008, 06:59 PM']i have always heard that wearing a Rosary around the neck like shows disrespect.

my cuz is in the Army and she got a tattooed cross and she was justifying by if she was hurt she had a cross always with her. :unsure: i was more concerned about treating our bodies as the Temple of the Holy Spirit with respect![/quote]

I have a tattoo of a triquetra for my devotion to the Holy Trinity. Tattoos are not inherently a bad thing.