An Old School Catholic Message Board

Parents Abandoning Their Children

Lil Red

[quote name='Don John of Austria' post='1664379' date='Sep 26 2008, 04:43 PM']As a Teacher i have grown to really hate Piaget. I mean I really have to will myself Christian Charity when it comes to discussing him.[/quote]

I agree with you. I am not a huge fan of Piaget. I think because his theories and what not didn't make as much sense to me as Erickson. But it sounds like you have a deeper reason for not liking him. Mine was that I couldn't apply his developmental stuff as well.

+J.M.J.+
[url="http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hlZbpXbUt5CbF3Ra6tEc-6uzzToAD93EIP981"]Nebraska dad says he was overwhelmed[/url]

how sad to think though, that he thought he had no other recourse than to abandon his children.

There was a dad about a month ago in St. Pete that got overwhelmed, and he got suicidal. Ended up committing suicide by cop, in front of his kids.

[quote name='picchick' post='1664388' date='Sep 26 2008, 02:54 PM']I agree with you. I am not a huge fan of Piaget. I think because his theories and what not didn't make as much sense to me as Erickson. But it sounds like you have a deeper reason for not liking him. Mine was that I couldn't apply his developmental stuff as well.[/quote]

See, I am a huge cognitive development nut, and I liked how replicable and applicable his theories were. Never knew about his other philosophies.

Thy Geekdom Come

I was born at that hospital where those kids were abandoned. :(

I'm really sorry to see this. The sad thing is that Omaha has Boys Town...it's right there...and these parents didn't go there to get help?

Don John of Austria

[quote name='zabbazooey' post='1664400' date='Sep 26 2008, 05:11 PM']See, I am a huge cognitive development nut, and I liked how replicable and applicable his theories were. Never knew about his other philosophies.[/quote]

I actually mean the philosopical premises upon which his developmental theories are based. However, there is a lot of his stuff that I do agree with. But his ideas on mean being constructed by the learner..... :no:

Thy Geekdom Come

BTW, one of the articles said this happened in North Omaha, which is the poorest part of town and riddled with gang activity, so those could be factors as well.

So you think kids are both with the innate ability? Are you taking more of an information processing theory approach? Just curious :)

Edited by zabbazooey

Don John of Austria

[quote name='zabbazooey' post='1664414' date='Sep 26 2008, 05:23 PM']So you think kids are both with the innate ability? Are you taking more of an information processing theory approach? Just curious :)[/quote]

I think that things have meaning in and of themselves, that that meaning is not determined by the learner, or by any subjective force. The intellect makes sense of what is, it does not construct what is. And yes i realize that that is a subtle distinction but I believe it is a really important one.

The very foundation of his ideas, seems to be to be a serious challenge to a world that is really real.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='zabbazooey' post='1664414' date='Sep 26 2008, 05:23 PM']So you think kids are both with the innate ability? Are you taking more of an information processing theory approach? Just curious :)[/quote]

I guess yes I am taking more of an information processing approach---- though I would normally call it an Objectivist approach----- ( silly educational terms)

its the idea that people woould be so despairing that gets me. I mean who really wants to give up their whole family. But they aren't being helped. I've seen life both ways...the poor who try every trick in the book to stay on welfare, the lower middle class or upper lower class who trick social programs to work for them so they can afford things they don't need like big screen TV's. (and believe themselevs justified) and those poor who are truly working hard but hit hard times and there is no more money for them. Hopefully, these kids are now in a better, safer place with more love and no abuse or neglect. Really, if someone is so despriate to give up their children in such a way then the children may be better off.

[quote name='Don John of Austria' post='1664442' date='Sep 26 2008, 03:33 PM']I guess yes I am taking more of an information processing approach---- though I would normally call it an Objectivist approach----- ( silly educational terms)[/quote]

Very interesting views! I'm still in school but I mainly subscribe to the (whispers) Constructivist theories :)

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1664802' date='Sep 26 2008, 11:52 PM']its the idea that people woould be so despairing that gets me. I mean who really wants to give up their whole family. But they aren't being helped. I've seen life both ways...the poor who try every trick in the book to stay on welfare, the lower middle class or upper lower class who trick social programs to work for them so they can afford things they don't need like big screen TV's. (and believe themselevs justified) and those poor who are truly working hard but hit hard times and there is no more money for them. Hopefully, these kids are now in a better, safer place with more love and no abuse or neglect. Really, if someone is so despriate to give up their children in such a way then the children may be better off.[/quote]
Agreed.

Sadly, I read this and felt sort of wistful: "Gee, I would have appreciated being dropped off like that..." :mellow: