An Old School Catholic Message Board

Forbidden Foods

Balthazor

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1664776' date='Sep 26 2008, 11:11 PM']bees are INSECTS not animals...geese a looo[/quote]
:lol:

[quote name='Mr.CatholicCat' post='1664925' date='Sep 27 2008, 11:09 AM'][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarian"]Vegetarianism [/url] and [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegan"]veganism [/url] are two different matters. I have recently in my life a certain respect for people who take vegetarianism seriously, though I have still my reservations about veganism. I love animals and they shouldn’t be mistreated, though I admit I love to eat them. Which on the surface it seems like a contradiction to me, maybe it is?[/quote]

I know the different :P

I guess I considered insects to be a part of the animal kingdom.

There are different types of vegetarians too. Some eat eggs....some don't...some eat dairy and dairy products...others do not. It is pretty facinating.

I love animals too...I think that they should be treated humanely because as stewards of God's earth, I think that we need to be respectful of what is His. However, I have no problem eating meat because God said it was ok. I just think it should be done in a respectful manner.

I don't eat fish because just the thought makes me sick. They smell and just taste gross. I do not eat fish...I do not touch fish. I had to disect one for school once. I almost threw up. It was so gross. I can handle anything anyone throws at me but centipedes and fish.

I love aquariums though and we have pet koi. I hand feed them and touch them but just dead fish are gross.
Meg

I'm not quite vegetarian. I actually eat some fish. I'm working my way down the food chain. No mammals though.
It's against my social conditioning to eat insects, though my husband-to-be says they're good for you. Ew.
I can't seem to tolerate red food colouring.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Sarah_JC' post='1664956' date='Sep 27 2008, 05:01 PM']I can't seem to tolerate red food colouring.[/quote]
I had a friend in high school who was allergic to red 90 (or whatever the most common red food colouring in the US is).

[quote name='Sarah_JC' post='1664956' date='Sep 27 2008, 10:01 AM']I'm not quite vegetarian. I actually eat some fish. I'm working my way down the food chain. No mammals though.
It's against my social conditioning to eat insects, though my husband-to-be says they're good for you. Ew.
I can't seem to tolerate red food colouring.[/quote]

Crab and shrimp are just bugs that live in the water...

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1664929' date='Sep 27 2008, 09:17 AM']I am forbidden by my gag reflex from eating raw meat of any type. [b]I also refuse to drink anything mistakenly called 'beer' if I can see through it.
[/b]
However, I am compelled to ingest large quantities of pizza whenever possible.[/quote]

I have to point out that IPAs (perhaps the most delicious beer available) are clearish. Not as clear as lagers, though.

[quote name='Balthazor' post='1664936' date='Sep 27 2008, 09:38 AM']I am also not adverse to personally killing what I eat.[/quote]

If you're not willing to get your hands dirty...

Insects are animals, they are in the animalia kingdom.... I certainly do not think they are in the Monera, protista, fungi or plantae kingdoms.

Of course they are not of the Chordate phylum but they are still animals.

[quote name='Mr.CatholicCat' post='1664925' date='Sep 27 2008, 11:09 AM'][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarian"]Vegetarianism [/url] and [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegan"]veganism [/url] are two different matters. I have recently in my life a certain respect for people who take vegetarianism seriously, though I have still my reservations about veganism. I love animals and they shouldn’t be mistreated, though I admit I love to eat them. Which on the surface it seems like a contradiction to me, maybe it is?[/quote]
I was vegetarian until I moved to the country and saw a whole lotta beef living a better life than most people do. (Seriously. Lovely field, hang out with all your friends, eat all day. Sure, it's not a [i]long[/i] life, but it's pretty sweet while it lasts.)

I realize not all livestock is particularly well treated.

Honey is kind of contentious for me. Honey-making bees are treated great! However, the bees used to pollinate commercial agricultural crops live in terrible conditions -- hives bounced around in hot trucks, going from farm to farm. Lots of them die.

Humane eating is complicated.

As for dietary restrictions... it varies a lot for me. For years I couldn't eat carbohydrates, and now suddenly I seem to need them. :idontknow: Also, I can have an allergic reaction to anything that isn't water/white flour/plain meat at any random time. :wacko:

Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='Balthazor' post='1664968' date='Sep 27 2008, 12:09 PM']Insects are animals, they are in the animalia kingdom.... I certainly do not think they are in the Monera, protista, fungi or plantae kingdoms.

Of course they are not of the Chordate phylum but they are still animals.[/quote]

nerd.

Where did all these come from? Back when I was in high school, we only had plants and animals. Protists were being considered, but not approved as a kingdom yet. Fungi were part of the plant kingdom.

What the heck is a monera? lawyers and politicians, I guess...

[quote name='missionseeker' post='1664788' date='Sep 27 2008, 12:27 AM']same.

Also, tinkerlina, what do you use, fake eggs?[/quote]

Well, for baking I usually add a little apple cider vinegar to soy milk; it thickens it a little and it makes a good binder. If I'm making something simple, like pancakes, I just mash up a banana. Cornstarch also works in some things. For scrambled eggs, I use tofu. :) Katie

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1664776' date='Sep 27 2008, 12:11 AM']bees are INSECTS not animals...geese a looo[/quote]

Yeah, there are some vegans who do still eat honey. I just figure it's not that huge of a sacrifice for me to give up anyway and yeah, bees are definitely a lot less complex than cows/pigs/chickens but what the heck, it's not too difficult to avoid honey/beeswax. -Katie

[quote name='Sarah_JC' post='1664956' date='Sep 27 2008, 01:01 PM']I'm not quite vegetarian. I actually eat some fish. I'm working my way down the food chain. No mammals though.
I can't seem to tolerate red food colouring.[/quote]

Alot of red food coloring comes from carmine, which is made from insects, so I guess you're better off not eating it anyway! -Katie

[quote name='Mr.CatholicCat' post='1664925' date='Sep 27 2008, 12:09 PM'][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarian"]Vegetarianism [/url] and [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegan"]veganism [/url] are two different matters. I have recently in my life a certain respect for people who take vegetarianism seriously, though I have still my reservations about veganism. I love animals and they shouldn’t be mistreated, though I admit I love to eat them. Which on the surface it seems like a contradiction to me, maybe it is?[/quote]

Well, being an ethical omnivore is possible-I mean, if you are going to eat meat, better from an animal that was treated well and lived a natural life until it was killed in a humane manner. -Katie

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1664966' date='Sep 27 2008, 01:07 PM']I have to point out that IPAs (perhaps the most delicious beer available) are clearish. Not as clear as lagers, though.[/quote]

Have you tried the Dogfish Head IPAa? 60 minute is about your average IPA, but a little smoother. 90 Minute is quite a bit stronger and easily one of my favorite beers... 120 minute IPA is like drinking cognac, it's incredibly tasty and complex and thick, really an experience that must be tried by anyone that loves a good IPA (and at $9 per 12 oz bottle, one that should be enjoyed sparingly.)

Also very good is Bell's (of Kalamazoo, MI) Two Hearted Ale, very drinkable IPA.