An Old School Catholic Message Board

Attending Harvard?

littleflower+JMJ

Attending Harvard  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Boston is beautiful, and Cambridge (where Harvard is located) is in a very nice area. It's extremely easy to get around using the public transportation, getting into the city where you can find pretty much anything you'd ever need.

She should totally go for it. School is so hard to pay for. People have to take out loans and pay for it forever. She should go after this and do it.

[quote name='littleflower+JMJ' post='1665276' date='Sep 27 2008, 08:37 PM']Oh thanks so much Era! You are close by there aren't you? How safe is it? :detective:[/quote]
Like any city, it depends where you live. If they live around the Harvard area, it will probably be a student/upper class area, so not much danger. But I would say Boston in general is pretty safe. And it's easy to get around. Boston is a big city, but it's pretty small compared to somewhere like New York. You can pretty much see all of downtown Boston on the skyline.

princessgianna

we as Catholic/Christians need to be in the world not of the world!
so hey if you think that this is God's will then GO!!! We as Catholic/Christians need to
preach to the world using words when necessary!!! :))

EDIT:it would depend how they feel about! And if they think that it was God's will!!!

Edited by princessgianna

[quote name='princessgianna' post='1665523' date='Sep 27 2008, 11:06 PM']we as Catholic/Christians need to be in the world not of the world!
so hey if you think that this is God's will then GO!!! We as Catholic/Christians need to
preach to the world using words when necessary!!! :))

EDIT:it would depend how they feel about! And if they think that it was God's will!!![/quote]

+

Of course, Harvard has a lot of clout in the secular world, and as an evangelist, that's okay and can be a real door-opener in the future to be able to reach people for Christ. Folks like your friend (devout Catholics who get in) can do great things for Christ on a secular campus. In fact, the Church NEEDS people to be there presenting Christian views and perspectives, participating in pro-life clubs, bringing Catholic intellectuals on campus for lectures, etc. This is a fantastic opportunity to 1. get a great education for free 2. evangelize! 3. pave the way for future evangelization opportunities!

I would just really encourage your friend to get involved with good Catholics on campus right away through the chastity, prolife, and/or catholic clubs etc.

I can't imagine any school (save one or two) nowadays not having serious problems and Harvard is no exception. But having a degree from there would be huge. I don't consider it worse than most other schools one could go to, and the degree you would get in return is far better than what you could expect at other schools. So I would definitely recommend it.

I think there are a few things you need to keep in mind. Firstly the academic concerns: no matter how big the name, if the program for the major is no good then don't go there. Also, I know for some programs, where you go to school for undergrad doesn't matter as much as where you go for grad school. So keep that in mind as well. And the tuition issue is pretty big, too...

But as far as spiritual matters, I think it's important to really research what you'll be getting yourself into. Despite how strong you are (or you think you are), it's incredibly difficult to do it alone. You need to see if there are good strong Catholic young adult groups and such in the area, and good parishes. I know of one in Boston run by the OMV, the St. Clement Eucharistic Shrine (I think), that's pretty good--and I think it's right across the street from Fenway Park. But I have a friend going to school at Yale who tends to feel incredibly isolated in his faith. In such situations either you're faithful but lonely, or you end up giving in to the pressure to abandon your faith. So you really, really need to tread carefully.

I think that if the door opens and everything is payed for, I think it is worth looking into.

Discernment is definitely needed to make such a decision. We can not underestimate the rabid bite of liberal thoughts Harvard offers. On the other hand, while isolation is a worry, the change has to start with one person. I agree that you must tread carefully, but if God is calling you, makes it possible, do not be afraid.

Also, if you plan on going to college that isn't known for it's Catholicism, prepare to defend your faith anyway from professors, students and classmates. I think going to a secular college, I saw small miracles everyday of students defend their faith and others come to a better understanding of the abortion debate and other issues.

We also must remember that the daily onslaught of isolation and attacks does not only have one effect: to make someone lose their faith. Sometimes, all you have is God. In isolation, we find God and a stronger faith. Of course, this isn't without much prayer, daily Mass, adoration hours and asking God on our knees.

If your prepared to do that, then honestly, I would bet on you any day. It is a very hard path, but definitely not impossible.

[quote name='littleflower+JMJ' post='1665232' date='Sep 27 2008, 06:32 PM']Hey guys I have someone close to me who is graduating high school and looking into taking advantage of [url="http://www.admissions.college.harvard.edu/prospective/hrp/index.html"] [u][b]this offer[/b][/u][/url] that basically gives them free tuition to go to school there. I have no doubt that this person will be a solid catholic throughout college but I was just wondering overall thoughts, experiences or knowledge you know about the location, university and state?

Also, their major will be electrical engineering and computer science. Would you take advantage of this offer if you were interested? Recommend it or discourage it?

What do you think?

Also [u][b]money or tuition isn't an issue[/b][/u] because this person already qualifies for free tuition to alot of major universities already. Its just a matter of choosing which one? :idontknow:

I really have no idea since Harvard is so far away and foreign to me that I have no idea what to even think. I know it is liberal but how much so? And would there even be a Catholic presence? :i

Thanks so much![/quote]

How does one qualify for free tuition?

[quote name='jmjtina' post='1671820' date='Oct 7 2008, 12:50 AM']I think that if the door opens and everything is payed for, I think it is worth looking into.

Discernment is definitely needed to make such a decision. We can not underestimate the rabid bite of liberal thoughts Harvard offers. On the other hand, while isolation is a worry, the change has to start with one person. I agree that you must tread carefully, but if God is calling you, makes it possible, do not be afraid.

Also, if you plan on going to college that isn't known for it's Catholicism, prepare to defend your faith anyway from professors, students and classmates. I think going to a secular college, I saw small miracles everyday of students defend their faith and others come to a better understanding of the abortion debate and other issues.

We also must remember that the daily onslaught of isolation and attacks does not only have one effect: to make someone lose their faith. Sometimes, all you have is God. In isolation, we find God and a stronger faith. Of course, this isn't without much prayer, daily Mass, adoration hours and asking God on our knees.

If your prepared to do that, then honestly, I would bet on you any day. It is a very hard path, but definitely not impossible.[/quote]

I definitely agree. Harvard and the particular "poison" they may offer shouldn't be underestimated. Check out they area to see what the diocese is like and also religious communities nearby.