An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Became Pope (and Were Male)

tinytherese

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1666914' date='Sep 30 2008, 10:44 AM']I think I'd do something like found a Catholic university somewhere in Europe that is completely solid, preferably near either Rome (so I can go and learn stuff) or Solesmes (Gregorian chant yay) or something. It needs to have a navigable website, with [b]decent[/b] translations in several languages, and where the lingua franca isn't English.

There'd be funds all over the place so that people could come even if they couldn't pay so much. Oh, and it'd be Benedictine, not only in terms of the altar but also in terms of the general atmosphere of the place :P[/quote]
i know :offtopic:
sounds like ITI, [url="http://www.iti.ac.at/about/about_main.htm"]http://www.iti.ac.at/about/about_main.htm[/url] even Solid Benedictine Monks take theology there,its a former Monastic building, both Rites etc, and English is the principal language..just a tinier version of your dream?
Countries represented: Austria, Belarus, Canada, France, Germany, Estonia, India, Italy, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Ukraine, United Kingdom, and United States.
(not to be mixed up with the Steubenville Gamong Euro. Campus close by)

Edited by EJames2

icelandic_iceskater

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1667140' date='Sep 30 2008, 06:01 PM']you mean there isn't one of b16 already?![/quote]course there is! everywhere I've looked they're sold out though. :ohno: I guess he's just that popular :smokey:

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='icelandic_iceskater' post='1667169' date='Sep 30 2008, 06:53 PM']course there is! everywhere I've looked they're sold out though. :ohno: I guess he's just that popular :smokey:[/quote]

I have one! :cool:

It is so cool! :))

I got one the week after Pope Benedict came to America, when it was shown on the metro commercial.

I totally have forgotten where I got it. I ordered it online.

I'd also like to make sure that all masses are celebrated appropriately and that the architecture of catholic churches both inside and out are in line with real church practice. So many churches used to be beautiful before Vatican II and then were renevated to look so plain and simple.
Why on earth did they get changed? "Hey I know, let's uglify our church!"

"Awesome idea! Let's do a make over in reverse!"

One of the seminarians in one of my classes was talking the other day about how in Victoria, BC, they took the beautiful wooded altar out of the Cathedral (I think he said cathedral), and cut it up in the alley with a chain saw and had it put in a dumpster. He said years later, people are still devastated by it.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1671836' date='Oct 7 2008, 12:07 AM']One of the seminarians in one of my classes was talking the other day about how in Victoria, BC, they took the beautiful wooded altar out of the Cathedral (I think he said cathedral), and cut it up in the alley with a chain saw and had it put in a dumpster. He said years later, people are still devastated by it.[/quote]

:sadder:

[quote name='tinytherese' post='1671755' date='Oct 6 2008, 08:40 PM']I'd also like to make sure that all masses are celebrated appropriately and that the architecture of catholic churches both inside and out are in line with real church practice. So many churches used to be beautiful before Vatican II and then were renevated to look so plain and simple.
Why on earth did they get changed? "Hey I know, let's uglify our church!"

"Awesome idea! Let's do a make over in reverse!"[/quote]

the only reasonable answer i have heard is that it is the goal of the architect to create designs that are modern, and that going traditional would be going backwards. it is less about God and His Church, and more about being innovative, creative, and sheek. the motives aren't so much in line with worship of God, but in line with what is "good design". so i think the responsibility lies in 2 hands ultimately, the bishop and the architect he hires. the designs of churches in his diocese must be approved by him also. the pastors can suggest, but they must ultimately obey. pray for us. :pray:

[quote name='Chiara_' post='1673377' date='Oct 9 2008, 10:20 AM']I would also go into random confessionals around Europe and hear confessions, then tell people I was the pope :shock: hehehe[/quote]

hah. but how you would do that discretely..

"..amen. btw, who's your papa? boo!"

JM + JT

I'd want to be as close to the people as possible. I don't want them to think their Papa is fleeing as if from the plague. :D

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='salterrae' post='1675689' date='Oct 12 2008, 11:47 PM']JM + JT

I'd want to be as close to the people as possible. I don't want them to think their Papa is fleeing as if from the plague. :D[/quote]

Me, too :)

I'd secretly go to parishes all over the world and just put on an alb and walk in 10 minutes before Sunday Mass. And ask them whether they've got an extra chausuble lying around :)

[quote name='salterrae' post='1675732' date='Oct 12 2008, 04:41 PM']JM + JT

I'd feel bad for your security team. :lol:[/quote]

Vatican Security/Police/Swiss Guard has just joined Interpol, so they'd be well wired.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='salterrae' post='1675732' date='Oct 13 2008, 12:41 AM']JM + JT

I'd feel bad for your security team. :lol:[/quote]

There's a long-standing tradition of popes trying to sneak away from their security team :P

So you see, I'd be super-trad :D

Oh, and I'd also reform education etc. Of course.