An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Music...

Old_Joe

...would you have or had played at your wedding or ordination/first Mass?

A couple of my friends got married this weekend and their processional song was the theme from Beauty and the Beast. It was instrumental not sung. It made think of what kind of music I would choose for either my wedding or first Mass.

Wedding:

processional hymn: trumpet voluntary by J.S. Bach
Offertory hymn: You are mine.
communion hymn: Pange Lingua, Adoro te devote (Godhead here in hiding)
meditation: ave maria
dedication to the BVM: On this day O beautiful mother
closing: haven't decided

First Mass:

processional hymn: Non nobis, te Deum (from the movie of Henry V)
Offertory hymn: let all mortal flesh keep silence
communion: Pange Lingua, Adoro te devote (Godhead here in hiding)
meditation: Vene Sancte Spiritus (i think it's by taize, it's kind of a round with a cantor singing in english)
deciation to the BVM: ave maria
closing hymn: O God beyond all praising

Edited by Old_Joe

puellapaschalis

I'd whip out my Triplex and hand it to the organist. Or better still, I'd make sure that whoever was organising the music considers the Triplex the most important book ever after Scripture and the Catechism :topsy:

We didn't have any music at our wedding. It was at 7am on a Sunday morning, in secret, with the doors to the church locked behind us once we came in with the wedding party. Our priest was expecting trouble. I guess if real marriages are ever outlawed, that's how all weddings will be held in Catholic churches.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1674208' date='Oct 10 2008, 04:20 PM']We didn't have any music at our wedding. It was at 7am on a Sunday morning, in secret, with the doors to the church locked behind us once we came in with the wedding party. Our priest was expecting trouble. I guess if real marriages are ever outlawed, that's how all weddings will be held in Catholic churches.[/quote]

I thought it was law that the doors had to be left open?

:mellow:

I never really planned my wedding. I am unlike normal girls who have it all figured out at 3 years of age.

I do have my first Mass music planned....ok so I was just kidding on that one. :P

I do have some songs I came up with that I would like to have at my wedding whenever that is. It is pretty much the ONLY thing I planned. :lol:

I would like to have:
Processional: Intermezzo Cavalleria Rusticana

um, yeah that's all

Meg

Basically it's going to be all praise and worship, except for the procession. And people are going to pray over us at some point. I love being charismatic!

[quote name='RandomProddy' post='1674236' date='Oct 10 2008, 10:07 AM']I thought it was law that the doors had to be left open?[/quote]

I don't remember studying that in canon law, but I don't think it comes up that often. People who showed up late were locked out and banging on the door. We'd had so much interference, that our pastor was taking no chances. It had been canceled once before because of his family. I think he was afraid my mother in law would show up with a machine gun or something.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='MissyP89' post='1674481' date='Oct 10 2008, 09:47 PM']I'm not Irish, but I love the Celtic Alleluia.[/quote]
We have that one a lot at my parish b/c our priest likes it. :)

I've only ever thought about my funeral hymns. You can't be sure you're gonna get married (plus your spouse might have other ideas for hymns) but everyone dies.

VeniteAdoremus

Okay. This is going to be a very difficult post for me, because

1. when I walked home from the bus-stop today I was thinking about the music for my First Vows (I just came back from choir practice)
2. My sister dragged me in here to champion the Graduale Triplex.

And I do love the Graduale. I think Gregorian chant is the best thing since before sliced bread. I want it at every mass.

But...
I've been in a LOT of choirs for a LONG time, and I have loads and loads of friends who are great singers, and I want them to sing at my vows. In harmony.

Sorry PP :(
You'll still come and sing, won't you?

Introit: Cantique de Jean Racine, Faure
Graduale: of the day
Alleluia: of the day
Offertory: Greater Love Hath No Man, Ireland
Communio: of the day during the people's communion
Then nothing for a loooooong while
Then Like as the Hart, Howells
Closing: O Thou the Central Orb, Wood

puellapaschalis

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1674506' date='Oct 11 2008, 12:52 AM']Sorry PP :(
You'll still come and sing, won't you?[/quote]

HELL NO!!!
Verradster.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1674513' date='Oct 11 2008, 12:58 AM']HELL NO!!!
Verradster.[/quote]

Double a.

And :(

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1674334' date='Oct 10 2008, 01:37 PM']I don't remember studying that in canon law, but I don't think it comes up that often. People who showed up late were locked out and banging on the door. We'd had so much interference, that our pastor was taking no chances. It had been canceled once before because of his family. I think he was afraid my mother in law would show up with a machine gun or something.[/quote]
How dramatic!!

I don't remember what music we had, though there was a trumpet an organ and... a flute? A violin? Something. Gah. Been a long time now. I have a list somewhere. Basically the music director suggested things, hummed bits for me, and I picked one. :rolleyes: I was 18 and didn't know a thing about either the Catholic church or music.

In the end it all turned out very nice, and everyone said I had great taste... yay for leaving it to the experts I guess. :topsy:

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1674157' date='Oct 10 2008, 05:48 AM']I'd whip out my Triplex and hand it to the organist. Or better still, I'd make sure that whoever was organising the music considers the Triplex the most important book ever after Scripture and the Catechism :topsy:[/quote]
*puts on shades because of awesomeness emitting from post* :cool:

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1674506' date='Oct 10 2008, 05:52 PM']Okay. This is going to be a very difficult post for me, because

1. when I walked home from the bus-stop today I was thinking about the music for my First Vows (I just came back from choir practice)
2. My sister dragged me in here to champion the Graduale Triplex.

And I do love the Graduale. I think Gregorian chant is the best thing since before sliced bread. I want it at every mass.

But...
I've been in a LOT of choirs for a LONG time, and I have loads and loads of friends who are great singers, and I want them to sing at my vows. In harmony.

Sorry PP :(
You'll still come and sing, won't you?

Introit: Cantique de Jean Racine, Faure
Graduale: of the day
Alleluia: of the day
Offertory: Greater Love Hath No Man, Ireland
Communio: of the day during the people's communion
Then nothing for a loooooong while
Then Like as the Hart, Howells
Closing: O Thou the Central Orb, Wood[/quote]
How about praying the chants as per late mediaeval performance practice? :D