An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Women Be Included In The Draft?

Fidei Defensor

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1684616' date='Oct 23 2008, 08:16 PM']Well think of the average 18 year old female. Would they be as able to deal with the horrors of war as 18 male could? Men and Woman are different in respect to war, men have been fighting the wars since probably the beginning of time, where as woman more often than not stay home or away from the front.

In war is where the females ability to pay attention to everything acts against her, but the males ability to focus only on one thing and drown everything out is a positive.

We should also remember that the years in which women would be endangered for the draft are also the same years she is best able to become pregnant and repopulate the species. If the war were to go badly and many women died, this could endanger a nations people to continue on.

Also, and a dark part of the reality of war, woman would be much more endanger when captured by the enemy, in the since she would be endanger of having her honor stolen.

Also I know there are exceptions to these 'rules' but they are just that. Drafting women is wrong and a great danger on so many levels.[/quote]

Is it sexist to assume women can't handle war and should thus be left out of the draft? Should they be included?

eagle_eye222001

I am probably going to get flak for this opinion.

While I will not doubt that women are perfectly capable of shooting and can do everything that men can do...

I think that men are wired more to kill and are wired better for actions that are needed to be done in war zone and I think women can be a distraction for men in missions and what-not.

This goes back to the idea that there are specific roles for men and women to fill in a family. A man is seen as a traditional protector of the family and leader. Now. This does not mean that women cannot protect families or they cannot be leaders. However, women tend to be the more emotional and carry more of the caring factor that all families need. A child growing up needs both a father and a mother to grow up healthy. This would run along with the counter to gay families by that having two moms or two dads is not equivalent to a mom and a dad for a family because a father uniquely fills certain roles and vice versa for women.

I am not sexists. I believe a women can fight in a warzone and kill if needed to. However, men are wired to fight more and women can be a distraction in a place distractions cannot be afforded. Are the prisons filled mostly with women or men? Why?

Hopefully I have explained this decently. I guess I will have to watch from my perch and count the flak.

Excelsior1027

As a man, I would be furious as all heck if there was a draft instituted that included women. I agree with eagle_eye on this, men are just better fitted for war. I'm not saying women shouldn't be in the army, because there are women who can do it and do it very well, I'm sure. I also agree that women would be a distraction. In the heat of battle a man's instinct to protect the women could interfere with what has to be done. Plus, just personally--I, as a man, would want to go to war to protect my sisters in Christ back home, not see them go to protect me. I would feel that's my duty. I honestly hope that it's never even considered to include women in the draft; I don't see how anyone could think it might be a good thing.

My father who served in WWII, including a short stint in a POW situation, and I had many discussions about this. We can handle the blood and gore just as easily as men. We were the ones responsible for caring for the dead bodies of family members until relatively recently. We were nurses, midwives and butchers. If you don't think we are capable of extreme action, go watch a little league game and see how the mom's react when someone hits one of their babies with a pitch. There are some jobs that women are actually better suited for than men, and that's fighter pilot and submarines because they are usually smaller than men.

When push comes to shove though, men are usually stronger, larger, and have more stamina. My dad's position was on the line, in the trench, he was afraid that a male's inbred feeling to protect females might come out at the wrong time. It wouldn't just endanger the woman, it would endanger the men too if they were thinking more about protecting a female colleague than in doing his job. In summer field exercises while I was in forestry school, there were 19 guys and 5 girls in my class. We had to divide into teams of three. Three of us girls decided to form an all female unit. They didn't want to let us, but we persisted. The other two women spent the summer holding the clipboard while their male teammates got to carry the equipment and learn how to use it. We lugged our own equipment, and learn a lot more. We also broke down easier. I'm not talking about crying, I'm talking about being able to finish all the tasks assigned. We got worn out or injured easier.

So anyway, I voted that females shouldn't be included in the draft. Those that are capable and inclined to serve can and should, but I'm still conflicted about sending them to the line. My female pride says that we should be allowed to do anything we want to, but the reality is that we are physically different.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' post='1684834' date='Oct 24 2008, 12:25 AM']I am probably going to get flak for this opinion.

While I will not doubt that women are perfectly capable of shooting and can do everything that men can do...

I think that men are wired more to kill and are wired better for actions that are needed to be done in war zone and I think women can be a distraction for men in missions and what-not.

This goes back to the idea that there are specific roles for men and women to fill in a family. A man is seen as a traditional protector of the family and leader. Now. This does not mean that women cannot protect families or they cannot be leaders. However, women tend to be the more emotional and carry more of the caring factor that all families need. A child growing up needs both a father and a mother to grow up healthy. This would run along with the counter to gay families by that having two moms or two dads is not equivalent to a mom and a dad for a family because a father uniquely fills certain roles and vice versa for women.

I am not sexists. I believe a women can fight in a warzone and kill if needed to. However, men are wired to fight more and women can be a distraction in a place distractions cannot be afforded. Are the prisons filled mostly with women or men? Why?

Hopefully I have explained this decently. I guess I will have to watch from my perch and count the flak.[/quote]
No one is wired to kill, that would be against our nature, which God created. I doubt God made anyone to kill.

Being that I'm a sexist male pig I would prefer that the draft be women-only actually, as I certainly don't want to die. Of course, I would want to sleep with the hot one's before they fight, but you know, its kinda a sucky situation either way so I'm ok if the government can't give me that. Hey, not everyone can be in the military, and surely some of those have to be babes.

Seriously though, I'm really not for any draft at all in today's world. It would force too many people who don't want to be military in with me, and that's not a situation I want to deal with.

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1685016' date='Oct 25 2008, 12:59 AM']Either the Selective Service, or the mystical draft that Bush has been going to reinstate for the last eight years.[/quote]
Ever notice the only people who've ever brought up the mystical draft have been Democratic opponents of the war?

[quote name='Justin86' post='1685015' date='Oct 24 2008, 09:59 AM']Being that I'm a sexist male pig I would prefer that the draft be women-only actually, as I certainly don't want to die. Of course, I would want to sleep with the hot one's before they fight, but you know, its kinda a sucky situation either way so I'm ok if the government can't give me that. Hey, not everyone can be in the military, and surely some of those have to be babes.

Seriously though, I'm really not for any draft at all in today's world. It would force too many people who don't want to be military in with me, and that's not a situation I want to deal with.[/quote]

Before reinstating the draft, perhaps they could stop restricting otherwise able bodied individuals from enlisting instead of discriminating because of certain "conditions".

And no, I'm not talking about compulsive homosexuality...

[quote name='Justin86' post='1685017' date='Oct 24 2008, 10:02 AM']Ever notice the only people who've ever brought up the mystical draft have been Democratic opponents of the war?[/quote]

Pretty much.

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1685018' date='Oct 25 2008, 01:03 AM']Before reinstating the draft, perhaps they could stop restricting otherwise able bodied individuals from enlisting instead of discriminating because of certain "conditions".

And no, I'm not talking about compulsive homosexuality...[/quote]
I'm rather confused. You said "able bodied" so I assume you aren't for lowering the physical requirements (something that the Army has been doing, by the way)...do you mean alcohol related offenses? Minor drug use like marijuana? Start taking kids who just have a diploma written by their parents again? Become more lax with criminal records? :detective:

[quote name='Justin86' post='1685021' date='Oct 24 2008, 10:09 AM']I'm rather confused. You said "able bodied" so I assume you aren't for lowering the physical requirements (something that the Army has been doing, by the way)...do you mean alcohol related offenses? Minor drug use like marijuana? Start taking kids who just have a diploma written by their parents again? Become more lax with criminal records? :detective:[/quote]

They have numerous "unfit for service" things that come up in physicals. For instance, I have a genetic condition called Neurofibromatosis. Even though I am asymptomatic, I am ineligible for military service. There are lots of other diseases like this.

I'm not really sure what I would consider it. I mean you would have to think about it this way. What if a single mother were to be drafted :S who would that leave to care for her children especially if the father is not involved in their lives or is drafted as well. I would say the same goes for single fathers what would happen to their children if they were drafted and there was no one to care for their children. What if in either case these fathers or mothers were to die? In the case of a married couple, would they draft both parents, just one, and if just one which one if it could be either male or female? I'm also of the of the opinion that I think it is more difficult for this country to handle the death of a woman compared to the death of a man. Not that the loss of a man's life is in anyway less important I just believe it's the outlook of our country to see the loss of a woman's life to be far worse, probably because women tend to be seen as more delicate, etc. I believe most men of this country have the need to want to protect women from harm as well. I believe it's difficult enough to risk the lives of our men but I think it would be even more difficult for this country to risk the lives of it's women.

Now if a woman is enlisted in the armed services I believe she should be able to fight for her country, because she has made the choice to serve knowing that war is always a possibility.

PS I'm not anti military or service in any way whatsoever. My brother is currently serving his third tour in Iraq, my brother-in-law is enlisted, and my sister served 8 years. I'm proud of my family's military background.