An Old School Catholic Message Board

Benedictines Of Mary

truthfinder

Praised by Jesus Christ!

The Benedictines of Mary have finally updated their site and it is completely new. Looks really good, and more condensed.

[url="http://www.benedictinesofmary.org"]Benedictines of Mary[/url]

Aww, I made a discernment visit to their community over a year ago. What a spring break that was! Nobody else at my high school did that!

Beautiful site. It's wonderful to see cloistered Benedictines back in Kansas City! The last group that had to close was sorely missed.

I think this is a really beautiful website.

I have a question...how can they accept girls at 16? I thought you had to be 18.

Also, are they "official" ? It seems like maybe they are still waiting for "something" but I don't know what.

Thanks.

Katherine

puellapaschalis

There is an minimum age, set by Canon Law I believe, for entrance into the novitiate. I don't think there's anything about postulancy.

If I remember correctly, the Benedictines of Mary spun off from a community in New England that has been outside the Church since their beginning as followers of Fr. Leonard Feeney in the 40's. The present Benedictines first went to the Diocese of Scranton, then moved to Kansas City. It all started within the last several years, and they would need more time and a minimum number of members (which they may already have) to have "official" canonical status.
We had one friend who entered the original group on incomplete information but removed herself quickly when the truth became apparent, and another who discerned with the Benedictines of Mary when they were still in Pennsylvania.

I posted a Q under Vocation Story re these Benedictines, but will repeat it here, as I managed to get in to post.(program glitches)

What [i]is[/i] the status of this group? It is weird for Benedictines not to be affiliated with other Benedictines--they are in congregations, with small groups as priories or daughter houses related to abbeys or larger groups, etc. --and then these appeared in Scranton, PA out of the blue. No explanations on old website. Are they in communion or not? Their size does not have any relation to their status, as far as I know. They are surely large enough--with professed members and well-stocked novitiate--to be a priory or even an abbey!

Littlesister or Gemma, do you know? Important for Phammers as I am sure many have at least inquired.

[quote name='xyzv1' post='1695710' date='Nov 6 2008, 09:28 AM']I posted a Q under Vocation Story re these Benedictines, but will repeat it here, as I managed to get in to post.(program glitches)

What [i]is[/i] the status of this group? It is weird for Benedictines not to be affiliated with other Benedictines--they are in congregations, with small groups as priories or daughter houses related to abbeys or larger groups, etc. --and then these appeared in Scranton, PA out of the blue. No explanations on old website. Are they in communion or not? Their size does not have any relation to their status, as far as I know. They are surely large enough--with professed members and well-stocked novitiate--to be a priory or even an abbey!

Littlesister or Gemma, do you know? Important for Phammers as I am sure many have at least inquired.[/quote]

These good sisters are in communion with Rome. On their old website newsletters, they would have the bishop out have professions and the such. I believe they are trying to get affliated with the Benedictines without losing what they have.

According to their site, Bishop Finn invited them to KC. Best guess is that their status is the same as the new Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Church in Seattle... in communion and more than welcome, but going through the process for canonical recognition. At the moment they're probably an Association of the Faithful, either private or public.

We always found the Still River-affiliated group to be highly secretive, so the tradition probably carried over to some extent. How they got to Scranton and why they didn't stay, since they had such big plans, leaves us wondering, too. Maybe it was a simple question of finding land or a more promising offer elsewhere as regards the TLM.