An Old School Catholic Message Board

The End Of Catholic Hospitals

Aloysius

I obviously hope this horrific scenario doesn't happen, but the lawyer in me can't help but be interested in how the Supreme Court would handle the inevitable court case over it. I wonder how many of the justices were born in Catholic hospitals?

The Church may need to undergo persecution, that means Catholic hospitals as well, in its continued striving against the evil of abortion

Saint Therese

IMO opinion the problem is a bit more complicated. I'm re-reading Witness to Hope (bio of JPII). Its awesome to read how he resisted first the NAzis, then the Communists.
I realized that the reason he and the other Poles were able to resist so effectively (maintain an authentic Catholic culture) was that they understood the nature of the problem. THey understood that the STate isn't the Church, and that Christian culture is most often independent of the culture at large. They understood that their hope and help was in God, not in elected leaders, states or laws.
We Catholics in this country have become so permeated by the pagan culture that we no longer have a separate identity. IMO.

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1690195' date='Oct 31 2008, 07:51 PM']Our society isn't going to be reformed through political process;it will only be transformed when we as Catholics start living our Faith as we should.There the blame begins and ends.[/quote]
AMEN :thumbsup:

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1690074' date='Nov 1 2008, 05:34 AM']+J.M.J.+
agreed. and if the government won't budge, they should knock down the buildings.

although, a thought just popped into my head. if they threatened to knock down the buildings (or just hold them hostage, i suppose), could the gov't enforce 'imminent domain', seize the buildings and have the gov't run the hospitals?[/quote]
Actually, is the federal government that can do that, or just the local government? I think "imminent domain" only applies to the local government and not the feds. Could be wrong on that though.

In either case I'm guessing the Catholic hospitals in Chicago would go bye-bye.

Eminent Domain can be used federal, but it's rare. One example was when they went in and bought out the people to make the Smoky Mountains National Park, or for people whose land would be covered by water due to a federal dam project. I think they did that when they increased the size of Tinker Air Force Base back in the 60's.