An Old School Catholic Message Board

Visiting The Poor Clares...

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I'm visiting the dear Sisters on Thursday and will return home on Sunday. I am looking forward to seeing them again and praying with them. I feel so close to Our Lord when chanting the Divine Office with them. It's so beautiful... :sadder:

I was also thinking about what I could do as a thank you for their generosity while I visit. I've been there several times in the past and I've never given them anything to say thanks and I would really like to. I feel a little guilty for never doing anything! What would be a good thing to bring to say thank you? :flowers:

The one thing I am not looking forward to on this visit is the stove in the basement. I get to make my own supper (while they have collation) and the stove is probably from the 40s or 50s. It's works well, but I am always afraid of burning myself trying to light it and the flames only get so hot. Well, it'll be lent. It'll be a good penance. :saint:

If you have any intentions that you would like to send with me, I will be more than happy to pray for you and your needs. I will certainly keep all you discerners in my prayers! :sign:

AccountDeleted

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='1790395' date='Feb 24 2009, 11:43 AM']I'm visiting the dear Sisters on Thursday and will return home on Sunday. I am looking forward to seeing them again and praying with them. I feel so close to Our Lord when chanting the Divine Office with them. It's so beautiful... :sadder:

I was also thinking about what I could do as a thank you for their generosity while I visit. I've been there several times in the past and I've never given them anything to say thanks and I would really like to. I feel a little guilty for never doing anything! What would be a good thing to bring to say thank you? :flowers:

The one thing I am not looking forward to on this visit is the stove in the basement. I get to make my own supper (while they have collation) and the stove is probably from the 40s or 50s. It's works well, but I am always afraid of burning myself trying to light it and the flames only get so hot. Well, it'll be lent. It'll be a good penance. :saint:

If you have any intentions that you would like to send with me, I will be more than happy to pray for you and your needs. I will certainly keep all you discerners in my prayers! :sign:[/quote]

How wonderful for you! Please pray for vocations to the priesthood - God knows we need more good priests! And of course, keep all us phatmassers in your prayers.

As for the stove - can you take one of those long handled click lighters for stoves? That way you won't feel that you are going to burn your fingers with a match?

As for a gift - I would normally say some particular food or drink that they like, but since it will be Lent, that isn't a great idea. What about leaving a donation of money when you go? Then they could buy what they needed? Just an idea.

Have a blessed time!

the lords sheep

If you wanted to get them some special food, etc, you could just send it after Lent. The thought would still be appreciated.
For now, you could just write a nice thank you note and give a monetary donation or have a mass said for their intentions at a special church.

not sure why you have to wait until after lent to present them with food. They've still got to eat.

Consider bringing them useful provender. Boxes of pasta; a small wheel of coagulated milk. That's not terribly heavy to bring along, and you know they will really use it.

Not sure why the thing is reading "coagulated milk" when I wrote c h e e s e but whatever.

Edited by DameAgnes

[quote name='DameAgnes' post='1790533' date='Feb 24 2009, 04:40 PM']not sure why you have to wait until after lent to present them with food. They've still got to eat.

Consider bringing them useful provender. Boxes of pasta; a small wheel of coagulated milk. That's not terribly heavy to bring along, and you know they will really use it.

Not sure why the thing is reading "coagulated milk" when I wrote c h e e s e but whatever.[/quote]

I totally agree here--I would go with a fruit basket--and you don't have order it from a fancy provider. I don't know how many sisters are there, but you could pick up an assortment of bananas, apples, citrus and bag it up with a pretty bow. Even one of those little crates of clementine tangerines would be nice, and you get quite a few for not so much $.

That's so great you're visiting them, Angela! I will remember you in prayer! I would suggest giving them a spiritual bouquet of some sort, like a Mass offered for them, and maybe you could make the card. I'm sure they would really appreciate that. :pray:

Wine and/or flowers are typical gifts brought by visitors. Food baskets are a good idea, though I agree that you might want to think about what they can and cannot have during Lent when making it up (yes, I realize they still eat, but some communities are pretty strict with the fasting....)

I hope your visit goes well (good luck with the stove!) and if you cannot think of anything to bring with you, maybe keep your ears open while you are there, find out what they need, and then send it to them. Mailing things will cost a bit more, of course, so easier if you can just bring something with you.

+Praised be Jesus Christ!

Note cards, paper supplies and things along that line are always appreciated. I also believe that many communities truly appreciate (like all of us!) handmade items the very most.

Good luck, and remember you have a whole army of prayer warriors behind you!

TradMom

Edited by TradMom

Do you have a favorite book? You could bring a copy and give it to them for their library. I think nuns always like to have new books in their library.

elizabeth09

I have to agree to the praying for the priesthood, but we also need to pray for the religions life too. :idea: . They all needs our prayers.

Edited by elizabeth09

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I am back, and it was so beautiful. I could just stay there forever. I did lots of work, prayed a lot, and had such a holy time. It was amazing the grace this weekend was. The Novice Mistress gave me the most beautiful thing I have ever read about vocations [i]ever[/i]. It was so eloquent, simple, straightforward, and so [b]BEAUTIFUL[/b]! It made me want to drop everything and follow the call He has given me immediately and stop for no reason.
I also was there (but not at the chapter meeting where it was decided/announced) when Sister John Paul's petition was accepted and she will be making first vows on Divine Mercy Sunday! Please keep her in your prayers.
Why has it been so many years that I've been following this calling, and I still have not entered?

Also, nuns like to give you stuff. Lots and lots of stuff.

And, I went to the grocery store to get some food stuffs, and I got some golden potatoes and some onions (they were on sale and I wasn't sure what their restrictions are at lent). I meant to leave some money with them when I left, but I forgot!

Thank you for your prayers and...
THERE WAS A LIGHTER ON THE STOVE WHEN I GOT THERE, and I only used it once. Praised be Jesus Christ! :lol:

Please, if you would, continue praying for me, especially that I act on the grace that God has given me. Thank you so much! God bless you all!

...and it was so beautiful. I could just stay there forever. I did lots of work, prayed a lot, and had such a holy time. It was amazing the grace this weekend was.... want to drop everything and follow the call He has given me immediately and stop for no reason.... Why has it been so many years that I've been following this calling, and I still have not entered?

Just repeating here what you said............

and the answer is ([i][/i]drumroll[i][/i]) ______________?

I've jsut read what I posted - I don't mean to sound flip, and if it comes off that way, I apologize.

What I mean is, you seem to have made your decision, you just haven't made your decision. It seems so clear to me when I read what you wrote... is it not clear to you?

But I will continue to pray for you until it - whatever it is - is clear to you.