An Old School Catholic Message Board

Taking God's Name In Vain

Selah

I've always been told that "oh my God" is taking God's name in vain. I suppose this could be one way, but I was wondering: what does the Church teach about this? For example, what would be considered taking God's name in vain, and why?

CatherineM

[quote name='Selah' post='1861143' date='May 7 2009, 06:23 PM']I've always been told that "oh my God" is taking God's name in vain. I suppose this could be one way, but I was wondering: what does the Church teach about this? For example, what would be considered taking God's name in vain, and why?[/quote]
It is covered in the Catechism in numbers 2142-2167. As it says in # 2150 the Second Commandment "forbids false oaths." That means saying, "I swear to God" when you are in fact lying. Jesus discusses this during his Sermon on the Mount discourse. It also means "The Lord's name is holy. For this reason man must not abuse it. He must keep it in mind in silent, loving adoration. He will not introduce it into his own speech except to bless, praise or glorify it." (#2143) This commandment also includes blasphemy.

I think of this part of the Catechism, the part I like the best is #2145: "The faithful should bear witness to the Lord's name by confessing the faith without giving way to fear. Preaching and catechizing should be permeated with adoration and respect for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ." We always think about not using his name in the wrong way, yet the other side of the coin means we are called to use his name in the right way, with out fear.