An Old School Catholic Message Board

Solemn Profession Olam

DameAgnes

St. Mary Jacinta made her solemn vows today. No pics as yet. [url="http://www.olamshrine.com/ceremonies07.html"]http://www.olamshrine.com/ceremonies07.html[/url]

I don't think there will be any pictures... unless Mother Vicar changed her mind about that since I left...

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1896032' date='Jun 19 2009, 01:46 PM']I don't think there will be any pictures... unless Mother Vicar changed her mind about that since I left...[/quote]

Zunshynn, OLAM is not going to post pics anymore?

Oh. Sad.

[quote name='DameAgnes' post='1896104' date='Jun 19 2009, 04:06 PM']Zunshynn, OLAM is not going to post pics anymore?

Oh. Sad.[/quote]

I think she means of Professions not investments.

[quote name='Kathgirl' post='1896116' date='Jun 19 2009, 03:30 PM']I think she means of Professions not investments.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure any ceremonies, although they'll still use old pics on the website sometimes... like when there's an investiture coming up they'll show an old pic just to show what it is... But like I said, they could change back to taking pictures again as quickly as they stopped.

Edited by zunshynn

By His Grace Alone

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1896232' date='Jun 19 2009, 08:22 PM']I'm pretty sure any ceremonies, although they'll still use old pics on the website sometimes... like when there's an investiture coming up they'll show an old pic just to show what it is... But like I said, they could change back to taking pictures again as quickly as they stopped.[/quote]

Why have they decided not to post pics anymore?

dominicaninmyheart2

How sad! I enjoy seeing the pictures of the ceremonies! Hopefully, Mother Vicar will change her mind at some point.

[quote name='By His Grace Alone' post='1896413' date='Jun 19 2009, 11:54 PM']Why have they decided not to post pics anymore?[/quote]

:idontknow: Mother Vicar doesn't want OLAM to have so much attention... she thinks it's detrimental to the community living a cloistered life. And as for pictures being taken privately at ceremonies... perhaps she just wants the ceremony to be simpler.

in wrote once to OLAM if I could interact with one of the nuns (like st therese and the sminarian, although i am not a sem.) but they said they couldn't due to their cloistered life. Well, that is so inspiring for me, actually! That's cloistered life! Zunshynn do u know someone last year who wrote to mother angelica from the philippines? Thanks!

[quote name='tnavarro61' post='1897142' date='Jun 20 2009, 11:02 PM']in wrote once to OLAM if I could interact with one of the nuns (like st therese and the sminarian, although i am not a sem.) but they said they couldn't due to their cloistered life. Well, that is so inspiring for me, actually! That's cloistered life! Zunshynn do u know someone last year who wrote to mother angelica from the philippines? Thanks![/quote]

I think I remember reading your letter when it was out for everyone to pray for you... I didn't note that it was from the Philippines though. :)

dominicaninmyheart2

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1896875' date='Jun 20 2009, 05:47 PM']:idontknow: Mother Vicar doesn't want OLAM to have so much attention... she thinks it's detrimental to the community living a cloistered life. And as for pictures being taken privately at ceremonies... perhaps she just wants the ceremony to be simpler.[/quote]

That would make sense given that the community is a cloistered one. Thank you for the explanation zunshynn. It is always nice to see the pictures of Mother Angelica and her sisters on the investment ceremony or profession days or other occasions at OLAM. I can remember watching Mother Angelica's programs on EWTN at various times in school. She has always seemed very lively and passionate about the things she does.

I think the Mother Vicar's thinking may be sound on the issue, but I also think perhaps a "happy medium" could be reached that would seem less intrusive to the sisters and that would simply be to not show postulants entering, or any sister's name. On the other hand, to show pics of a ceremony of an unnamed nun (or even a short videotape) being clothed or professed, might be a very good information tool for discerners, and for those like me, who feel called to pray for all men and women discerning or moving along the path to religious life.

That said, because I do feel so compelled to pray for all of these, I was very "aware" of Sr. Allesandra's upcoming investment date, which the OLAM site had posted, and rather shocked when the date passed with no mention of the great event. It confused me a little, because I had been praying for Sr. Allesandra's intention...and now I had no idea whether I should pray for her because she had left, or because she had been invested...I still don't know, actually. Was she invested?

Each community has to decide what "works" for it. Some communities may not want much internet presence at all, outside of a "contact us" page; others might feel that they can attract more vocations and answer more questions with more developed sites. I don't judge. OLAM has flourished very well while "in the public eye" all these years. But perhaps it is time for them to recede a bit. (I do love to learn all the new "names in religion" though! :-)

The monastery owes the public nothing - it gives a great deal to the world with its prayers. But they must know that many people also pray for them, and maybe a notice that they will not be posting any further snaps or whatever might have at least acknowledged the existance of the "audience" they have themselves built.

Saint Therese

[quote name='DameAgnes' post='1897988' date='Jun 21 2009, 09:46 PM']The monastery owes the public nothing - it gives a great deal to the world with its prayers.[/quote]

I agree.

[quote name='DameAgnes' post='1897988' date='Jun 21 2009, 07:46 PM']I think the Mother Vicar's thinking may be sound on the issue, but I also think perhaps a "happy medium" could be reached that would seem less intrusive to the sisters and that would simply be to not show postulants entering, or any sister's name. On the other hand, to show pics of a ceremony of an unnamed nun (or even a short videotape) being clothed or professed, might be a very good information tool for discerners, and for those like me, who feel called to pray for all men and women discerning or moving along the path to religious life.[/quote]
Well, I think that's why she is still using old pictures. Personally, I don't really understand why she feels its disruptive. I did not feel like having pictures taken of my investiture was intrusive. And I don't think not having a sister's name disclosed would fix whatever disruption she believes that its causing. In the time I was at OLAM, the sisters were only vaguely aware of how much they were in the public eye (granted some, like the ones that deal with the newsletter, etc, were probably a little more aware than others). I never even saw the OLAM website until I left. I mean we knew a lot of people knew about the monastery, but not the extent that people would talk about individual sisters.

[quote]That said, because I do feel so compelled to pray for all of these, I was very "aware" of Sr. Allesandra's upcoming investment date, which the OLAM site had posted, and rather shocked when the date passed with no mention of the great event. It confused me a little, because I had been praying for Sr. Allesandra's intention...and now I had no idea whether I should pray for her because she had left, or because she had been invested...I still don't know, actually. Was she invested?[/quote]
Sister Alessandra was not invested... Though I am sure she is grateful for your prayers and would still be appreciative of them. However, I don't feel that it's my place to say why she was not invested.

[quote]Each community has to decide what "works" for it. Some communities may not want much internet presence at all, outside of a "contact us" page; others might feel that they can attract more vocations and answer more questions with more developed sites. I don't judge. OLAM has flourished very well while "in the public eye" all these years. But perhaps it is time for them to recede a bit. (I do love to learn all the new "names in religion" though! :-)

The monastery owes the public nothing - it gives a great deal to the world with its prayers. But they must know that many people also pray for them, and maybe a notice that they will not be posting any further snaps or whatever might have at least acknowledged the existance of the "audience" they have themselves built.[/quote]

I would agree that OLAM was flourishing the way things were, and I have no doubt that it meant a lot to people to be able to "see" them a little. But the new vicar has her way of doing things, and I know the Lord, in his goodness, is going to work with that for good, in one way or another.

And just to clarify, I don't know exactly how the website and newsletter may change. All I am aware of is that there would be no photography at any ceremonies.