An Old School Catholic Message Board

Oh Hai.

VeniteAdoremus

Marie-Therese

Venite, congratulations! I know that you will be a treasured birthday gift to Our Lady. ;)

VeniteAdoremus

Thanks all :blush:

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1927620' date='Jul 22 2009, 07:07 AM']:lol_roll: I totally should. But, I mean, as a young girl considering the Dominican life, they'd let me talk to one of their postulants, right? :unsure:

Plus, she's going to be hard to miss. I hope I can visit. I didn't realize how far south it was.[/quote]

Oh, indeed, it's far south. Like, if you stand at the beach and look south-west next to the Isle of Wight, the first thing you'd see are the Azores. Where will you be staying? (Do go and visit the monastery of St. Cecilia on the Isle, they're Benedictine, enormously enclosed, and apparently talk in a mixture of 18th century French and Latin. And have a Latin NO mass daily.)

They would let you talk to me :) And yes, I'd be hard to miss. I will probably be the only postulant at that time, although there are a few inquirers right now - who knows, they might enter in January?

Spring Bank Holiday is on May 31st next year, and there's usually a do for that (with cream tea and wonderfulness and lots of English ladies in flowery dresses) - and if you're coming from far away, well, there's the guest rooms... :)

[quote name='Marie-Therese' post='1927879' date='Jul 22 2009, 08:37 AM']Venite, congratulations! I know that you will be a treasured birthday gift to Our Lady. ;)[/quote]

Ooooh... I was actually going to talk my dad into dressing as a UPS guy and making Sr. Prioress sign a clipboard for receiving me, but I never realised I could go as an actual birthday present. Brilliant :D

the lords sheep

WE HAVE THE SAME ENTRANCE DATE!!!!!!!!!!!!! But because you'll be in Europe, you'll probably enter 6 hours ahead of me... by the way, our entrance is in 48 days!

I'll definitely be praying that you can graduate on time!

God bless you, VA!

princessgianna

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1926795' date='Jul 21 2009, 04:03 PM']I have returned!

The sisters hugged me to within an inch of my life, and then I really had to leave :)

My entrance date has been set on...

dadadadummmm....

The feast of the nativity of Our Lady, e.g. September 8th!

This is earlier than I expected, so please, please, PLEASE pray for me so that I graduate in time!

Sr. Prioress picked this date because...

...the relics of St. Therese de Lisieux, my confirmation saint, are visiting our diocese the week after (to the day). And we're going there, of course. Speaking of entrance graces :)

I know, I know, you're all insanely jealous ;) If you're quick about it, I'm sure the sisters could clean out another cell, but there's a lot of paperwork![/quote]

That is so EXCITING! :woot: May God bless you!

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1928488' date='Jul 22 2009, 05:29 PM']Ooooh... I was actually going to talk my dad into dressing as a UPS guy and making Sr. Prioress sign a clipboard for receiving me, but I never realised I could go as an actual birthday present. Brilliant :D[/quote]

:lol_roll:

VeniteAdoremus

*grabs Lauren by the hands and dances around the room*

I thought about that, yes. EXCELLENT. The religious world will have no idea what hit them ;) Do you have one year postulate / two year novitiate as well?

I might even enter at *gasp* 7 in the morning (GMT). My parents and I will arrive on the 7th in the evening, and custom is that the postulant enters the choir during the first prayer hour after she got there, after which she is whisked away into the cloister and the poor parents are lovingly shoved off the grounds, to make the transition as quick and drama-less as possible.

They could also have me enter at Midday Prayer (right before Mass), but I don't know what I would do with my nerves, bumbling around there all morning!

Edit: by the way, I haven't been in the cloistered area yet! I think this excessively cool. When I was there with another discerner (who entered the St. Cecilia Benedictines since) she sneaked a peek around the door, so I know it has high ceilings and is quite light. :hehehe:

Edited by VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1929275' date='Jul 23 2009, 04:41 AM']I might even enter at *gasp* 7 in the morning (GMT). My parents and I will arrive on the 7th in the evening, and custom is that the postulant enters the choir during the first prayer hour after she got there, after which she is whisked away into the cloister and the poor parents are lovingly shoved off the grounds, to make the transition as quick and drama-less as possible.[/quote]

That sounds neat...when I enter, as soon as I step through the door I"m going to be whisked away by the sisters where I will get to put on the lovely postulant uniform that my big sisters made for me ( :D ) and then there is a reception with parents and family (and whoever else manages to come along) and then it's goodbye...it's kind of like slowly ripping of a bandage...

Since the topic of entrances and family has come up, would you prefer that your family came with you (if you had a choice)? Why or why not?

Blessings,
J

i remember somebody telling me that when they went into the cloister, they were shocked at how normal it looked. there were even hairdryers!

personally, I think it would look like dorothy entering Technicolor Oz from black and white Kansas, although since you're entering the Dominicans, perhaps it would be the versus! (in a good way!)

InHisLove726

[quote name='deusluxmea' post='1929357' date='Jul 23 2009, 09:59 AM']i remember somebody telling me that when they went into the cloister, they were shocked at how normal it looked. there were even hairdryers!

personally, I think it would look like dorothy entering Technicolor Oz from black and white Kansas, although since you're entering the Dominicans, perhaps it would be the versus! (in a good way!)[/quote]

:lol_roll:

Irishdancingmimi

Congrats, Venite!!! Whooo, we're gonna be Dominican sisters pretty soon! Did I understand correctly that your community is cloistered? :)

Kate, I don't know too much about our entrance day. Will information about it be in the packet that I should be receiving soon from Sister Mary Emily?

:banana:

the lords sheep

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1929275' date='Jul 23 2009, 10:41 AM']*grabs Lauren by the hands and dances around the room*

I thought about that, yes. EXCELLENT. The religious world will have no idea what hit them ;) Do you have one year postulate / two year novitiate as well?[/quote]

I think it's super cool that I'll be sharing entrance dates with you.
And, yup, one year postulancy, 2 year novitiate :))

And I know absolutely nothing about the details of my entrance day. Nothing at all... I should find about it all soon, though. I'll ask when I'm up there in a few weeks.

Edited by the lords sheep

[quote name='Irishdancingmimi' post='1929422' date='Jul 23 2009, 11:44 AM']Congrats, Venite!!! Whooo, we're gonna be Dominican sisters pretty soon! Did I understand correctly that your community is cloistered? :)

Kate, I don't know too much about our entrance day. Will information about it be in the packet that I should be receiving soon from Sister Mary Emily?

:banana:[/quote]

YES You will be receiving a BIG packet with the "book" of things to buy along with articles, the series of letters that SME has been sending us through the summer, and other little things like visiting dates and communication rules and such...oh and the ever so wonderful pattern for those lovely aprons (they're not too hard to sew, but you will soon get tired of all the bias tape that is involved)

FiereMargriet

Congratulations!! If I ever make it to England again, God-willing, maybe I'll come by for a visit :)

It's so cool that you will see St. Therese's relics. Yesterday I was counting money in the baby bottles the crisis pregnancy center I volunteer for uses for fundraisers and I found a St. Therese medal with what looked like a third-class relic on the other side. Very cool, and I felt like she was paying me a visit.

You sound like you will be a cool nun :) I hope you get to inspire lots of young people to consider a vocation. (Your community does evangelization, right? So you'll have a good opportunity for that!)