An Old School Catholic Message Board

Don't Know What To Do...

InHisLove726

InHisLove726

Well, if anyone has been on the Vocation Station forum, you'll know that I've been looking, unsuccessfully, for at least a year (give or take) for a job. I've been unemployed for 2 years, but I had to take a year away because of health issues. Now, I'm ready to get back into the swing of things and I've had no luck. Of course, I don't expect people to just hand me a job, so I went back to school and got a certificate as a Nursing Assistant. I took the state board exam and I am now certified. The only problem is, I had only the experience from the long-term acute care hospital I interned in for about 2 or 3 weeks. Most places are looking for someone with 6 months to a year of experience, which I do not have. The positions that are entry-level are non-existent because those with a better work history than I are grabbing them. <_<

So, unwilling to wait another year to find a job, I decided to open up my search to other fields. I've been applying everywhere I can think of. I can't really work any retail stores like Kmart, Wal-Mart or Target because of my past history with them (left without giving my 2 weeks notice). But then, 2 days ago, I was reading about how to overcome a bad work history, and learned that if I still had good friends at my old job(s) that I could talk to, I should get a job reference from them. I left my house about 30 min after reading that article to see if I could track down anybody I know at an old wholesale club to talk to. I found one person who is now a customer service manager! :)) I talked to her and told her my situation and asked if the company was hiring right now (I left after a 2 week notice here), and she was unsure but told me to come back and talk to another one of my friends (also a Customer Service Manager) which was last night. While I was there, I got references for the both of them with their permission.

I said a prayer, and I went back last night to talk to the other CSM to ask her if she was hiring, and she said she was looking for someone. Well, I told her that I was looking for a job and that I had put an application in last night, and I am interested in coming back. Well, from what she said, I would be the first one she would look at since she knows me and knows that I had a good history there. She also said that she would call me tonight. So I left pretty convinced that I had edged my way in and that I would, indeed, hear from her this evening. I went out to my car and saw the most beautiful rainbow I'd ever seen in my life. I thought, "Surely this is God's way of saying that I'm on the right track..." ;)

By 7:30pm, I hadn't heard anything yet, so I decided to just check in and see if she had the opportunity to talk to her General Manager about the possibility. Someone answered the phone and I asked if the CSM was working this evening. He said she was not scheduled and was not there... :annoyed:

I needed to ask whether I should call again tomorrow? If so, what do I say? Do I say that I tried calling last night? Or do I just ask her like I didn't even know?

I don't want to show I'm bothered because it could have been an honest mistake. I want to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Any suggestions or advice would be helpful. Prayers are certainly appreciated as well! :)

Edited by InHisLove726

I know your frustrations all too well. I would try to call back again tomorrow and see if you can reach her. If she's not there, ask if the person who is can check the schedule to see when she's working. I would imagine once you do reach her she will probably have an explanation of why she didn't call if she specifically said she would and didn't. If she doesn't, it really doesn't make any difference what her reasons were for not getting back to you - you'll either have a job or you won't.

I know it's frustrating, but I've pretty much learned to see any timeframe potential employers give me about getting back as a vague guideline rather than something that's definite. Tomorrow means within the next 3-4 days, this week means in the next 2 weeks, and next week is sometime in the next month.

You're in my prayers. Stay strong and don't get discouraged!

InHisLove726

[quote name='morostheos' post='1941433' date='Aug 5 2009, 09:09 PM']I know your frustrations all too well. I would try to call back again tomorrow and see if you can reach her. If she's not there, ask if the person who is can check the schedule to see when she's working. I would imagine once you do reach her she will probably have an explanation of why she didn't call if she specifically said she would and didn't. If she doesn't, it really doesn't make any difference what her reasons were for not getting back to you - you'll either have a job or you won't.

I know it's frustrating, but I've pretty much learned to see any timeframe potential employers give me about getting back as a vague guideline rather than something that's definite. Tomorrow means within the next 3-4 days, this week means in the next 2 weeks, and next week is sometime in the next month.

You're in my prayers. Stay strong and don't get discouraged![/quote]

Thank you for your prayers. I am really glad that I got the references when I did for other employers should this not work out. ;) I hope it will, though, even if it's short-term.

Deus te Amat

[quote name='txdinghysailor' post='1941522' date='Aug 5 2009, 10:26 PM']flip a coin. ;)[/quote]

I'm not sure how that would help. :unsure:

txdinghysailor

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1941523' date='Aug 5 2009, 11:27 PM']I'm not sure how that would help. :unsure:[/quote]

That's how I decided what college to go too. And how I decided to ask my gf to start dating...

InHisLove726

[quote name='Winchester' post='1941532' date='Aug 5 2009, 10:37 PM']Join the Navy.[/quote]

[quote name='txdinghysailor' post='1941533' date='Aug 5 2009, 10:37 PM']join the Coast Guard so I can yell at you when i graduate. :P[/quote]

:huh:

txdinghysailor

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1941535' date='Aug 5 2009, 11:40 PM']:huh:[/quote]

Trust me, I'm a very wise and mature person. :saint:

InHisLove726

[quote name='txdinghysailor' post='1941539' date='Aug 5 2009, 10:43 PM']Trust me, I'm a very wise and mature person. :saint:[/quote]

:rolleyes:

Joining the Coast Guard or the Army (or Navy, etc) is not an option for me.... I've never wanted to be involved in any armed forces or be forced to go out in open seas when a hurricane was coming (A Perfect Storm comes to mind). There are just some things that are WAY too risky... Call me too safe or whatever. :P

txdinghysailor

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1941546' date='Aug 5 2009, 11:53 PM']:rolleyes:

Joining the Coast Guard or the Army (or Navy, etc) is not an option for me.... I've never wanted to be involved in any armed forces or be forced to go out in open seas when a hurricane was coming (A Perfect Storm comes to mind). There are just some things that are WAY too risky... Call me too safe or whatever. :P[/quote]

Wimp. :P

Groo the Wanderer

[img]http://i.pbase.com/o4/39/137539/1/55092328.DancingSpiderman.gif[/img]

or with friends...

[img]http://www.monsterdesign.co.kr/image/spiderman_dancing.gif[/img]

Edited by Groo the Wanderer

puellapaschalis

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1941822' date='Aug 6 2009, 02:22 PM'][img]http://i.pbase.com/o4/39/137539/1/55092328.DancingSpiderman.gif[/img]

or with friends...

[img]http://www.monsterdesign.co.kr/image/spiderman_dancing.gif[/img][/quote]

That is mesmerising.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1941822' date='Aug 6 2009, 06:22 AM'][img]http://i.pbase.com/o4/39/137539/1/55092328.DancingSpiderman.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.monsterdesign.co.kr/image/spiderman_dancing.gif[/img][/quote]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/LausTibiChriste/dancingfruits0nm_1_.gif[/img]