An Old School Catholic Message Board

Age Limits

Gemma

[quote name='cmariadiaz' date='29 August 2009 - 11:19 PM' timestamp='1251598743' post='1958140']
Gemma:

Canon law says that the lowest acceptable age *for the novitiate* is 17. (canon 643). That implies that you *can enter* the postulancy (and presumably would enter the postulancy) any time before this.

And on another note -- I don't 100% agree with having postulants so young ... I met professed sisters who were 19 or 20 who really weren't ready for vows and yet they were professed. If you can enter the novitiate at 17, and canon law says (if I read it correctly) that a novice may be a novice only for 2.5 years then theoretically speaking a novice that young would have to enter first profession at no later than 19.5 years.

I do realize that there may be a candidate who is spiritually mature at 17, but in my opinion its not just the spiritual maturity; the person needs a certain maturity as a whole especially if the person will be ministering to the laity (i.e. active or contemplative/active) community.
[/quote]

Thanks for the quote. Life's been too busy for me to try and look it up.

What we're trying to do here at Cloister Outreach is get the young ones (and everybody else for that matter) focused, and make sure they're not "starstruck" with St Therese and her situation. If they really want to live that way, we're recommending that they practice somehow at home, with their parents as superiors. Average time of discernment for young people is about seven years. Older vocations find it sooner.

A majority of the homeschooled vocations are far more mature all around than some of those who have been in public school. If I had a convent full of homeschooled vocations with great maturity for their age, I would be doubly blessed. The "settlement" that comes from being homeschooled goes a long way to helping them mature faster than their peers.

That being said, maturity is oftentimes an individual's choice. These young vocations are praying for both spiritual and mental maturity, and we should all be grateful that youth are taking an interest in religious life in these hedonistic times.

Blessings,
Gemma

[quote name='Gemma' date='30 August 2009 - 04:27 PM' timestamp='1251660471' post='1958421']
Thanks for the quote. Life's been too busy for me to try and look it up.

What we're trying to do here at Cloister Outreach is get the young ones (and everybody else for that matter) focused, and make sure they're not "starstruck" with St Therese and her situation. If they really want to live that way, we're recommending that they practice somehow at home, with their parents as superiors. Average time of discernment for young people is about seven years. Older vocations find it sooner.

A majority of the homeschooled vocations are far more mature all around than some of those who have been in public school. If I had a convent full of homeschooled vocations with great maturity for their age, I would be doubly blessed. The "settlement" that comes from being homeschooled goes a long way to helping them mature faster than their peers.

That being said, maturity is oftentimes an individual's choice. These young vocations are praying for both spiritual and mental maturity, and we should all be grateful that youth are taking an interest in religious life in these hedonistic times.

Blessings,
Gemma
[/quote]

I agree with the fact that there needs to be a realistic view ... and I am grateful that there are vocations that are arising from a young age.

Having said this -- I still stand with what I said; because of experience. I also know that there are young vocations that do have the spiritual and mental maturity ... I just don't necessarily believe that it is the norm.

And I also know that there are older vocations with the spiritual and mental maturity of a 10 year old :-).

Finally it all boils down to the discernment of the superiors of the communities in question; and God's grace for all involved.

-- Carmen

carmelite sisters of the divine heart of jesus
Ages 18-30 (exceptions can be made)
http://www.carmelitedcj.org/vocation.asp

:))