An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Postulant For Nj Op's

Tridenteen

JMJ[url="http://www.monialesop.org/2010/08/welcoming-new-postulant.html"]
[/url]The OP's in NJ welcomed a [url="http://www.monialesop.org/2010/08/welcoming-new-postulant.html"]new postulant[/url] from Haiti. The article says she is 40, but she doesn't look it...

Edited by Tridenteen

kavalamyself

[size="6"][font="Verdana"]Wait a minute!!!! I had a friend that wrote to them - she was 36! - and was told they had a very strict age limit without ANY EXCEPTIONS! Did they lift it??????????????????????????????????[/font][/size]

I remember a few years ago, when Sr. Mary Catherine was active on the phorum, that they were very strict about their age limits. Maybe they've decided to look at each applicant individually instead of using a blanket rule.

blessings to all

[quote name='kavalamyself' timestamp='1283209748' post='2165647']
[size="6"][font="Verdana"]Wait a minute!!!! I had a friend that wrote to them - she was 36! - and was told they had a very strict age limit without ANY EXCEPTIONS! Did they lift it??????????????????????????????????[/font][/size]
[/quote]

[font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2]Oh, that is interesting.

Also, does your nun play indoor hockey?[/size][/font]

I have absolutely no idea.

But I do observe that the blog says she's originally from Haiti, but has been living in New Jersey for some time. It could be that maybe due to her proximity she was a friend of the community and just sort of hung around and hung around and hung around and was really persistent until she was a "known quantity" and the monastery thought "well, this isn't just some person who writes us and visits a few times. This is someone we KNOW. So for her maybe we'll give it a shot."

(I know someone who got in to grad school that way. Just sort of hung around the lab until well admitting him seemed a mere technicality.)

I totally have no clue. This speculation is worth the paper it's printed on and in the age of the internet it isn't even printed on paper!!!!

So really, ignore me entirely.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1283210803' post='2165662']
I have absolutely no idea.

But I do observe that the blog says she's originally from Haiti, but has been living in New Jersey for some time. It could be that maybe due to her proximity she was a friend of the community and just sort of hung around and hung around and hung around and was really persistent until she was a "known quantity" and the monastery thought "well, this isn't just some person who writes us and visits a few times. This is someone we KNOW. So for her maybe we'll give it a shot."

(I know someone who got in to grad school that way. Just sort of hung around the lab until well admitting him seemed a mere technicality.)

I totally have no clue. This speculation is worth the paper it's printed on and in the age of the internet it isn't even printed on paper!!!!

So really, ignore me entirely.
[/quote]

Whatever the circumstances, it seems like a good thing that a community looks at each candidate individually, rather than strictly adhering to the basic rules in every case. People are SO different from one another. While one 40-year old woman may have lived a very independent life and not be able to adjust well to contemplative life, for another 40-year old woman, contemplative life (while it is never easy for anyone when first entering) may come more "naturally" and her age doesn't work against her. Pictures of the new postulant have been on the Summit Dominicans Web site for at least a few months now as an aspirant. By the way, the new Sister Veronique looks GORGEOUS as a postulant!

One other bit of news from the Summit Domicans Web site that I don't think I have seen on VS (if it has been posted, forgive me), but Sister Maria Teresa (formerly Sister Lauren) who, I believe, used to post on Phatmass, is making her first profession on October 23. Congratulations to her!

OnlySunshine

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1283212020' post='2165669']
Whatever the circumstances, it seems like a good thing that a community looks at each candidate individually, rather than strictly adhering to the basic rules in every case. People are SO different from one another. While one 40-year old woman may have lived a very independent life and not be able to adjust well to contemplative life, for another 40-year old woman, contemplative life (while it is never easy for anyone when first entering) may come more "naturally" and her age doesn't work against her. Pictures of the new postulant have been on the Summit Dominicans Web site for at least a few months now as an aspirant. By the way, the new Sister Veronique looks GORGEOUS as a postulant!

One other bit of news from the Summit Domicans Web site that I don't think I have seen on VS (if it has been posted, forgive me), but [b]Sister Maria Teresa (formerly Sister Lauren) who, I believe, used to post on Phatmass, is making her first profession on October 23[/b]. Congratulations to her!
[/quote]

Has it been that long already? I remember reading about her on the Moniales OP website when she was just a "baby nun"!!! My, how time flies! :pray:

Sr. Veronique's name seemed familiar to me from my past reading of vocation stories. I believe Sr. Veronique was actually in formation with the DSMME's a few years ago. Once a Dominican, always a Dominican, I guess!

[quote name='stlmom' timestamp='1283220632' post='2165739']
Sr. Veronique's name seemed familiar to me from my past reading of vocation stories. I believe Sr. Veronique was actually in formation with the DSMME's a few years ago. Once a Dominican, always a Dominican, I guess!
[/quote]

JMJ
YAY! Now I know I'm not crazy! I couldn't find that issue of the newsletter, but it makes sense now!

IgnatiusofLoyola

[/quote]

Interesting. All of you seem to know (or know the names) of so many people!

But, it does make more sense now that she is entering the Summit Dominicans at age 40. If Sister Veronique was in formation with the DSMME's, maybe she decided she really wanted a contemplative vocation, and has been in discernment to find the right community. (Just making this up as a possible scenario. Perhaps they'll post her "vocation story" at some point.)

OnlySunshine

[/quote]

Yep, you are right. I did a search on Google for "Sr. Veronique" and "Dominican" and it brought me to a Phatmass posting. :)

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=56618&view=findpost&p=1052911