An Old School Catholic Message Board

Entrance Applications

HopefulBride

Hi PM'ers,

As I am still continuing my application for entrance (I started this bad boy in late June) I started wondering if this is normal. A friend of mine who entered the Salesians had hers completed in what seemed like no time at all!. So.... for those of you who have applied, are applying or getting ready to apply, what has been your experience?

Please share:

-When did you Start?
-When did you finish?
-The community you applied to
-How long until you heard a formal response?

Also if you don't mind, please share the name of the community you have applied to - Not required of course.

Edited by HopefulBride

I'll start.

I started about June 25th ish
I am still working on it
I applied to the Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Church
No response yet as I have not finished.

AccountDeleted

Carmelites are a little bit different. I spent three months living with them but before I could do that, I had to provide all the paperwork of Baptism/Confirmation, Health Certificate, Priest References etc...

After my visit was over, I simply sent an email formally asking to be accepted into postulancy. Now it goes to Chapter vote. If I am accepted, then the entrance date will be set.

Ps Before I went for the live-in visit, we corresponded for about two months because my age was a negative factor and they wanted to get to know me before making a decision about whether to consider me for the live-in.

And previous Carmels have been similar, with most of the paperwork being done before the initial visit and subsequent application.

Edited by nunsense

laetitia crucis

For my former community (if you desperately need to know the name of the community, feel free to PM me) the process was quick; however, I think now their entrance process has changed quite a bit.

- I made one phone call to the Vocations Director (who at the time was the Novice Mistress) in June about visiting. She had me come on a silent retreat in July with hosted by the Sisters, though a majority of the Sisters were out either on home visits or doing summers missions. I met only a few of the Sisters during my visit, not including the VD. :hehe:

- After my silent retreat and extra two-days at the convent, I felt pretty certain that's where God was calling me. (After all, She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named <_< was stalking me at the time...) So, I spoke with the Sister in charge of the retreat about this and she gave me the Novice Mistress' cell phone number. I called the Novice Mistress while at the airport waiting for my flight home. I told her I believed this is where God was leading me to enter and asked what I needed to do to try my vocation there. She told me she had to contact her Provincial and to call back on Friday. (I called on a Wednesday.)

- Friday came and I called. The Provincial gave her permission for me to enter, and a date was set -- this community has "rolling" entrances, but generally one would need to enter before mid-September to be in that new "class". I was asked to enter on September 8th, so I did. (Hey, that's TODAY! Happy Birthday, Mama!) Oh, and when I entered, I needed to bring copies of my Sacramental certificates, copies of my most recent diploma, and two letters of recommendation from two priests.

So... yeah. :) That was that.

Now, however, I'm pretty sure their entrance process requires a much longer time frame. The Vocations Director is no longer the Novice Mistress, and women that are interested in discerning with the community usually goes to visit the Vocations Director. She is currently a superior in a mission house, so I think it's really neat for discerners to see first hand what life they would eventually (God willing) be preparing themselves for. I think generally, one would visit twice, and also have a professional psychological evaluation. You must also be debt free -- when I entered, I still had student loans. (I was never really sure about how that was supposed to be taken care of... there were a few of us in my class that were allowed to enter with student loans. It seemed we just needed to have someone currently keeping up with the payments while we were in formation.)

During this time of discernment with the community, I believe discerners are also encouraged to visit the novitiate house as well. So... yep. Quite a bit has changed over the past few years. Personally I think this is for the better. :like2:

-------

My soon-to-be community (the [url="http://www.dominicansrs.co.uk"]Dominican Sisters of St. Joseph[/url]) had a far different process for me, perhaps more akin to what my former community now does.

- [u]Start[/u]: To begin the application process, one must submit a formal letter of request to try their vocation with the DSSJ. This letter is given to the Prioress and read aloud at a Chapter meeting. Then a vote is taken to allow or disallow furthering the application process. ([b]Note[/b]: One may write a letter only [i]after [/i]having visited the community. Usually, they would ask that you write the letter two weeks after your last visit. Mine however, was expedited because of needing to meet the application deadline for the [url="http://www.fundforvocations.org"]Mater Ecclesiae Fund for Vocations[/url]. :sweat: ) I wrote my letter on December 3rd (the feast of the great Jesuit saint, Francis Xavier! :crusader2: ).

- I was given permission to begin the formal application process. This included:
- completion of the application form (basic sacramental, health, and educational/work information)
- Baptismal and Confirmation certificate
- two recent references from priests who know you
- educational certificates (copies acceptable)
- work history since leaving school
- medical report from your general physician
- completion of the separate medical details form
- completion of a full psychological evaluation
- Extraordinary Eucharistic Minister faculties (if applicable)
- I was also required to have a letter from my former community stating why/how I left. (Curiously, my former community's letter said that they could not comment on this. :idontknow: )

- It took me quite a while to get all of these things together, especially in getting together the various certificates. I sent out my application on April 29th (the Feast of St. Catherine of Siena :hehe2: ) and would have to wait to hear back from the next Chapter meeting, June 8th (the Feast of Mary Mediatrix of All Grace :love: ). On June 8th I heard back rather quickly and a date was set. :clapping:

- Once I had the entrance date, then I could begin the Visa application process and buy a plane ticket. The Visa application process took less than a month (Praise God!), and the actual time of completion of said application being sent in for approval and receiving approval was about two weeks. (God is good!)

So.... I know that was a bit more than you asked, but I hope it helps. :nun:

--
Edit: fix date.

Edited by laetitia crucis

LC,

Thaks so much for sharing, that wasn't long at all (I enjoyed the fact that it was thorough) I am hoping to have everything completed by middle of this month (including letters and my final medical document) I must say though that I found myself saying the same thing last month. problem is it is so hard to get an appointment for all that I need, I have taken two full days off work so far to get this done and my Boss has been sooooooooo understanding through it all (even allowing me to take 3 weeks off to discern with the SOL and the ASCJs) I just have to trust His timing in all this.

p.s. You do have me curious about the community so I may just PM you for the info.

Pax!

[quote name='laetitia crucis' timestamp='1283954673' post='2169847']
For my former community (if you desperately need to know the name of the community, feel free to PM me) the process was quick; however, I think now their entrance process has changed quite a bit.

- I made one phone call to the Vocations Director (who at the time was the Novice Mistress) in June about visiting. She had me come on a silent retreat in July with hosted by the Sisters, though a majority of the Sisters were out either on home visits or doing summers missions. I met only a few of the Sisters during my visit, not including the VD. :hehe:

- After my silent retreat and extra two-days at the convent, I felt pretty certain that's where God was calling me. (After all, She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named <_< was stalking me at the time...) So, I spoke with the Sister in charge of the retreat about this and she gave me the Novice Mistress' cell phone number. I called the Novice Mistress while at the airport waiting for my flight home. I told her I believed this is where God was leading me to enter and asked what I needed to do to try my vocation there. She told me she had to contact her Provincial and to call back on Friday. (I called on a Wednesday.)

- Friday came and I called. The Provincial gave her permission for me to enter, and a date was set -- this community has "rolling" entrances, but generally one would need to enter before mid-September to be in that new "class". I was asked to enter on September 8th, so I did. (Hey, that's TODAY! Happy Birthday, Mama!) Oh, and when I entered, I needed to bring copies of my Sacramental certificates, copies of my most recent diploma, and two letters of recommendation from two priests.

So... yeah. :) That was that.

Now, however, I'm pretty sure their entrance process requires a much longer time frame. The Vocations Director is no longer the Novice Mistress, and women that are interested in discerning with the community usually goes to visit the Vocations Director. She is currently a superior in a mission house, so I think it's really neat for discerners to see first hand what life they would eventually (God willing) be preparing themselves for. I think generally, one would visit twice, and also have a professional psychological evaluation. You must also be debt free -- when I entered, I still had student loans. (I was never really sure about how that was supposed to be taken care of... there were a few of us in my class that were allowed to enter with student loans. It seemed we just needed to have someone currently keeping up with the payments while we were in formation.)

During this time of discernment with the community, I believe discerners are also encouraged to visit the novitiate house as well. So... yep. Quite a bit has changed over the past few years. Personally I think this is for the better. :like2:

-------

My soon-to-be community (the [url="http://www.dominicansrs.co.uk"]Dominican Sisters of St. Joseph[/url]) had a far different process for me, perhaps more akin to what my former community now does.

- [u]Start[/u]: To begin the application process, one must submit a formal letter of request to try their vocation with the DSSJ. This letter is given to the Prioress and read aloud at a Chapter meeting. Then a vote is taken to allow or disallow furthering the application process. ([b]Note[/b]: One may write a letter only [i]after [/i]having visited the community. Usually, they would ask that you write the letter two weeks after your last visit. Mine however, was expedited because of needing to meet the application deadline for the [url="http://www.fundforvocations.org"]Mater Ecclesiae Fund for Vocations[/url]. :sweat: ) I wrote my letter on December 3rd (the feast of the great Jesuit saint, Francis Xavier! :crusader2: ).

- I was given permission to begin the formal application process. This included:
- completion of the application form (basic sacramental, health, and educational/work information)
- Baptismal and Confirmation certificate
- two recent references from priests who know you
- educational certificates (copies acceptable)
- work history since leaving school
- medical report from your general physician
- completion of the separate medical details form
- completion of a full psychological evaluation
- Extraordinary Eucharistic Minister faculties (if applicable)
- I was also required to have a letter from my former community stating why/how I left. (Curiously, my former community's letter said that they could not comment on this. :idontknow: )

- It took me quite a while to get all of these things together, especially in getting together the various certificates. I sent out my application on April 29th (the Feast of St. Catherine of Siena :hehe2: ) and would have to wait to hear back from the next Chapter meeting, June 8th (the Feast of Mary Mediatrix of All Grace :love: ). On June 8th I heard back rather quickly and a date was set. :clapping:

- Once I had the entrance date, then I could begin the Visa application process and buy a plane ticket. The Visa application process took less than a month (Praise God!), and the actual time of completion of said application being sent in for approval and receiving approval was about two weeks. (God is good!)

So.... I know that was a bit more than you asked, but I hope it helps. :nun:

--
Edit: fix date.
[/quote]

Ok I have another question on this subject. I have asked my confessor for a letter of reference but I have not gotten a response yet as to whether or not he can do it. I am waiting to pick up a letter from my Spiritual Director and then I will have the three letter minimum. My question is this, should I close my application without his letter? Is it bad that only one of my letters is from a clergy? Help

TeresaBenedicta

Just an add on to LC's experience with her former community... which happens to be my future community...

Still a pretty short process. I met the Sisters and had visited their formation houses a few times just for fun (before I ever even thought about discerning with them). At the direction (*cough*hehadtotellmetodothisunderobediencetomakesureIdidit*cough*) of my spiritual director, I called the VD (who, as LC said, is now in a mission house) to talk.

Took four phone calls and a lot of nerves, but we finally chatted. And she had me come visit the mission house. I stayed for about four days.

Spent the next month praying about it and discerned that God wanted me to apply there. Spoke with my spiritual director, who made me wait ANOTHER month before calling and asking to enter.

So, about two and a half months later I called. Didn't get a hold of anyone. Called again. Still no luck. Finally I just sent an e-mail that said I thought God was calling me to that Order and asking what I needed to do...

Got a call back the next morning from the VD. She scheduled a phone interview for a few days later. We talked for about an hour. Then she said she'd be in touch. A few days later I got an e-mail that said all was well.

There might be more involved in the future, prior to actually entering. Like a psych exam. Right now I have to take care of my student loans.

It's pretty informal, I've found. So. Yeah. Total time for the "application" was about an hour. Total time before hearing back was about three days.

Ok I have another question on this subject. I have asked my confessor for a letter of reference but I have not gotten a response yet as to whether or not he can do it. I am waiting to pick up a letter from my Spiritual Director and then I will have the three letter minimum. My question is this, should I close my application without his letter? Is it bad that only one of my letters is from a clergy? Help

AccountDeleted

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1284083019' post='2171186']
[/quote]

Ask him again. Tell him you are sending off the application and wondered if he would be able to write one to include with that. He might say no, because being a Confessor is different than being a SD, but it doesn't hurt to ask again. Prayers for you.:nunpray:

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1283949628' post='2169796']
Hi PM'ers,

As I am still continuing my application for entrance (I started this bad boy in late June) I started wondering if this is normal. A friend of mine who entered the [u][i][b]Salesians[/b][/i][/u] had hers completed in what seemed like no time at all!. So.... for those of you who have applied, are applying or getting ready to apply, what has been your experience?

Please share:

-When did you Start?
-When did you finish?
-The community you applied to
-How long until you heard a formal response?

Also if you don't mind, please share the name of the community you have applied to - Not required of course.
[/quote]

When I was discerning where my vocation would take me (its still an on going discernment and I love the Salesians!) I was thinking that I would go to a diocese. After all that is all that I had ever known. Now, because I was curious I went to vocationmatch.org. Yea, It's kinda like e-harmony.com for religious. And I answered a questionnaire. The website said that I would be best suited for the Salesians. So I contacted the Salesians and I went for my first visit in December 2006. I went to my first formal discernment weekend in February 2007. I applied or started that application that weekend. I had gone to the Vocations Director and asked for the paperwork. He gave it to me and I filled out the General Questionnaire. Then I had to get a whole bunch of recomendations from my employers, pastor, non-family friends. (I think that I needed 3 or 4 letters) So, I had finished my application by the beginning of March 2007. I got a phone call from the vocations director on Holy Saturday 2007. I had been accepted. I entered in August 2007. SO yeah, for me it was quick...

For me was very simple,

Emailed the VD, she said to visit General Mother-house, did so.

Had informal interview with Mother General

Had several phone calls with VD

Asked for application, was accepted few weeks later upon completion of good medical etc.

Complete!

Mine could have been simple but getting the medical completed is a task. I have to schedule them around my work schedule. I am hoping that once I complete the forms, I won't have to wait long.

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1284085074' post='2171201']
[/quote]

I'd be interested to know what others think about the confessor providing a preference because my first reaction is that it puts the confessor in an awkward situation. Given the seal of the confessional, how much can the confessor say? Especially since you have an apparently different spiritual director, he may not feel that doing so is appropriate. If the confessor were the pastor or such at your home parish, he would be able to say things about your life in the parish community and these would not be bound to the protection of the sacrament of reconciliation.

I should also add that I have known the confessor for about five years only one of them is in a confessor capacity. He has done some spiritual direction for me and at one point was a vicar in my parish. Also, I think though he is bound by the seal, he is in a position to comment on my spiritual growth though he cannot be too specific.

So I have my last round of Doctor's appointments set for next week and then it will all be done, I hope that the wait won't be as long. :nunpray: