An Old School Catholic Message Board

Active Communities That Consider Older Vocations

Margaret Mary

Does anyone know if there are any traditional active communities that consider/allow older vocations? If so where are they? Thanks!

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Margaret Mary' timestamp='1285790736' post='2176805']
Does anyone know if there are any traditional active communities that consider/allow older vocations? If so where are they? Thanks!
[/quote]

From my understanding, there really isn't much of an age discretion with [url="www.ssvmusa.org"]The Servants of the Lord and the Virgin of Matara[/url].

:love:

Agreed with TeresaBenedicta about the SSVMs. Also there is a 2nd order in Argentina (not in the US that has done likewise) however the few over 30 who have entered most have not stayed.

The Disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ will take a candidate up to 40 (one sister who just made her final vows entered right before she would have turned 41). They are charismatic (so from that aspect they're not 100% traditional) but with respect to their formation and their loyalty to the Pope and Church teaching they are.

[quote name='cmariadiaz' timestamp='1285794965' post='2176816']
however the few over 30 who have entered most have not stayed.
[/quote]

Interesting. Now I wonder if it is an indication of the person not being fit for the community or not being fit for a life of Poverty, Chastity and Obedience. I have heard it said that it is harder for older vocations to adapt to that life. However, I'd like to think if one is called by God he/she can persevere.

Edited by HopefulBride

[/quote]

Are you attracted to a particular charism?

[quote name='Margaret Mary' timestamp='1285796954' post='2176827']
I am actually looking for a friend of mine.
[/quote]

She shuld probably give some thought to her charism and then look at communities where she can grow with. She can also do it the other way and look for communites accepting older vocations and discern further. A good number of cloistered communities accept late vocations.

I will keep your friend's intentions in my prayers.
HB

If traditional is understood to be habit wearing (modified), have a defined community/prayer life and faithful to the magisterium, there are a number of communities that will at least consider an individual around age 40. Some will consider women in their mid to late 40's, but very few. I did a quick check of a site known as Traditional Women's Religious Orders, and came up with several.
It is essential to get acquainted with the charism of a community first, and go from there. Anyway, here are the names of a few communities that popped up when I searched the site for those that are open to women up to age 40. There are many more that include ages 35-39 as belated vocations--too many to list here.

Daughters of St. Francis of Assisi
Franciscan Sisters of Christ the Divine Teacher
Sisters of St. Francis of the Holy Eucharist
Sisters of the 3rd Order of St. Francis (Sister Rose Therese's community)
Felician Sisters (aka Sisters of St. Felix of Cantalice)
Sisters of Christian Charity
Sisters of Nazareth
Sisters of St. Rita
Daughters of Divine Charity
Daughters of the Immaculata

The Sisters of Christian Charity accept women into their 40s. I am going to visit these Sisters again in a few weeks. One of their 4 postulants is 18, another is in her early 40s.

The Little Sisters of the Poor are an amazing community. They accept up to age 40, and I know an exception was made for a woman significantly older than that.

Edited by Lilllabettt

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1285795672' post='2176823']
Interesting. Now I wonder if it is an indication of the person not being fit for the community or not being fit for a life of Poverty, Chastity and Obedience. I have heard it said that it is harder for older vocations to adapt to that life. However, I'd like to think if one is called by God he/she can persevere.
[/quote]

In the particular case (2nd community in Argentina) that I mentioned its not a simple situation; I was discussing the community that I entered and left but for charity sake I really could not say which community it was.

Lillabett, you are right, the Little Sisters of the Poor did recently lift their age limit for a candidate. Other active communities that will take older vocations are the Franciscan Sisters in Peoria (I believe their new novice is over 40) and the Religious Sisters of Mercy in Alma

http://www.franciscansisterspeoria.org/

http://www.rsmofalma.org/

AccountDeleted

Although it is a very practical thing to make lists of communities that will accept your friend, I would highly recommend that her first step be to take this to the Lord in prayer to make sure that it is His will that she enter religious life. If it is, then nothing is going to stand in her way. My community do not normally accept women over 50, but in my case they made an exception, and they were as surprised as I was by this decision. They felt it was God's will, and I can definitely see His hand in it.

Back to practicalities, if she works with a spiritual director, this could also help her to discern God's will for her, and her SD might have more contacts and information than she is able to obtain on her own. My prayers for her vocation as I know just how hard this is going to be for her. :nunpray:

[/quote]

Not to simply add to the long list .. but I know the Adoratrices (Adorers of the Royal Heart) accept older candidates .. http://www.institute-christ-king.org/vocations/sisters/

The Dominican Sisters of Hawthorne, NY. They're a wonderful group if a nursing type ministry is what she's looking for. They don't have to be nurses, but they all take their place in the ministry to terminal cancer patients.

And of course the LSP's - but you already know that! There are exceptions to the age limit of 40, bkut they're rare.