An Old School Catholic Message Board

Visiting

emilier98

So starting in May I will start my version of a nun run. I will fly from home to California for a couple of months, then back home, then to Michigan for a week or two. I am visiting four different Dominican communities and I have no idea what to bring, what not to bring, what to wear and what not to wear (besides the obvious, no skimpy clothes). But I have no idea about anything. I have never visited a community before or actually been on a retreat before. Also, for those who have already joined when you visited and when people visit you, what did or do you find helpful or harmful?

Thank y'all!

Emilie

franciscanheart

[quote name='emilier98' timestamp='1300481350' post='2221586']
So starting in May I will start my version of a nun run. I will fly from home to California for a couple of months, then back home, then to Michigan for a week or two. I am visiting four different Dominican communities and I have no idea what to bring, what not to bring, what to wear and what not to wear (besides the obvious, no skimpy clothes). But I have no idea about anything. I have never visited a community before or actually been on a retreat before. Also, for those who have already joined when you visited and when people visit you, what did or do you find helpful or harmful?

Thank y'all!

Emilie
[/quote]
:wave:

For my visit, I brought very little. Assuming you will not wash while there, bring enough skirts and shirts to cover you for each day. Honestly, if we were not getting dirty (we got dirty one day, I think), I would wear the same skirt for two or three days. My shirt I would usually wear twice with a fresh undershirt each day. Bring shoes you can move in but that are comfortable. I would also suggest a couple pairs of pantaloons, just in case. Then there's the obvious: toiletries, pajamas, hair ties, etc.

I brought with me one book for spiritual reading and a journal with pen.

I honestly think that's all I took. You might check with the communities you intend to visit but usually they can provide the Hours and often prefer to (though I had my own set). Oh! Bring a rosary. :like:

If you're going to be sleeping in common, bring ear plugs. :|

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='emilier98' timestamp='1300481350' post='2221586']

Thank y'all!

Emilie
[/quote]

What you are wearing and two changes of clothes, and one for work in addition to toiletries should be enough on a physical level. As you said clothing should be modest and practical. In addition, it would be a good idea to bring your rosary, bible, an office book if you already have one, a spiritual reading book and a notebook for personal notes ect.. should be enough. I would recommend leaving your Computer behind so as to concentrate on being fully with the community. You might want to check with them about this. By all means leave your cell phone off! Laughing... too many distractions will water down a true experience of the lifestyle you are considering.

Most of all bring an open and listening heart and a docile spirit and God will do the rest!

My prayers for you during this wonderful and exciting time in your life! :)

Edited by Indwelling Trinity

OnlySunshine

When I visited the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal in January 2010, I packed pretty light. I brought toiletries (toothbrush and paste, deodorant, shampoo/conditioner, body wash, etc), my Bible and rosary, about 2 or 3 long sleeved shirts (since it was winter), 1 short sleeve (just in case), my favorite jean jumper, a long brown skirt, long underwear (which was very useful since we went on trips outdoors), my boots, gloves, winter coat, bras and underwear, and socks. I also brought my hair dryer and straightening iron since I have very wavy hair and I didn't want it to be wild. :hehe: I also brought some stuff for the plane ride like a few magazines and my iPod/headphones.

Since you are visiting when it is warmer (and in California), I would just pack very sensible clothing, shoes, necessary toiletries, etc. Make sure you bring your Bible and rosary at least, but it would also be good to have a prayer book with you. I regretted not bringing mine when we had Adoration time. If you don't want to bring magazines or music, you could bring a good book for spiritual reading. Also, many orders ask for a reasonable donation. I've never given anything to orders I've visited because I've always been unemployed so I couldn't afford it. Bringing a fruit basket probably wouldn't do since you're riding a plane. I would maybe give like a gift card to a national store or a small donation like $10 or something. It doesn't need to be overboard. :)

Has anyone visited any Dominicans? I'm going to see the Dominican Sisters of San Rafael, Dominican Sisters of Mission San Jose, Adrian Dominicans and the DSMME's.

Well if you are going to visit the OPs dont forget to take your iron maiden :P :P

(aw man why does DS have to give up phatmass for Lent and miss out on my jokes :( )

I have visted the DSMME's (just during their vocation weekends though). They are so full of joy! There's tons of amazing sisters there. When it gets close to time for you to go, I'll list some sisters you absolutely must talk to!

sistersintigo

[quote name='emilier98' timestamp='1300489478' post='2221611']
Has anyone visited any Dominicans? I'm going to see the Dominican Sisters of San Rafael, Dominican Sisters of Mission San Jose, Adrian Dominicans and the DSMME's.
[/quote]

These are the three that I have personally visited:

Ossining, New York: the Dominican Sisters of Hope. Three Dominican congregations of active-apostolate women merged here. One was from Fall River, Mass., where they were teachers I think. One was the Dominican Sisters of the Sick Poor; the estate, Mariandale, north of Ossining, was their generalate, and is now the generalate for the merged group, although they started in New York City with an apostolate to nurse the indigent of the city slums. Third was in Newburgh, NY, where the Dominican women are phasing out of the college campus and closing down their nursing home for the elderly nuns, relocating them one or two at a time to nursing homes elsewhere. The Hope merger mostly sends its Dominican sisters to the New England and tri-state (NY, NJ, CT) area. They are "pantsuit sisters."

So are the Adrian Dominican Sisters, who have now absorbed the Dominican congregation in the Pacific Northwest (Edmond?). I first encountered Adrian Dominicans in Albuquerque, New Mexico; as you can tell, they are all over the map. One of the dearest mentor-figures in my life is one of these Sisters. You will observe tremendous diversity among their women, even within sub-groups that are close in age, or went through formation together. My mentor-Sister is well-versed in the contemplative vocation and in monastic tradition, even though she has always had active-apostolate sendings such as pastoral associate in a parish. Many of her peers are not contemplative-minded, or monastic-interested, in the slightest. They all get along well with each other regardless.

The Monastery of the Mother of God, in West Springfield, Mass., of cloistered Dominican (Second Order) nuns. Their monastery is large; their community is shrinking. They have half-day vocation retreats on weekends, and I went to one. They brought in a friar to lead the retreat conferences, and without saying more, the friar was an ENORMOUS distraction, not in a healthy way. The nuns themselves are just the best.

[/quote]

Prediction: if you have a vocation, you are at serious risk to enter one of those communities!

[quote name='Yaatee' timestamp='1300729938' post='2222098']
Prediction: if you have a vocation, you are at serious risk to enter one of those communities!
[/quote]

I intend to enter one of them. I have discerned that I have a vocation and I love the Dominicans [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/love.gif[/img]

I just need to visit to figure where I fit and where I feel at home. I have been speaking with their vocation directors for about a year and I really adore talking to them. I talk to them often enough that I often feel my day is incomplete if I have not talked to one of them. lol

[quote name='emilier98' timestamp='1300752004' post='2222187']
I just need to visit to figure where I fit and where I feel at home. I have been speaking with their vocation directors for about a year and I really adore talking to them. I talk to them often enough that I often feel my day is incomplete if I have not talked to one of them. lol
[/quote]

Two communities in Michigan! How do you feel about :cold: ?

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1300753070' post='2222196']
Two communities in Michigan! How do you feel about :cold: ?
[/quote]

Well, the DSMME's have a place in Texas so I may get to be home, or at least 4 hours from home (I'm from Dallas, Tx). The Adrians are everywhere so I may end up somewhere warm. Just have to deal with the cold for a few years. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can. I mean I'll have warm clothes on under the habit and I'll have a jacket and it'll be ok...Right?

Chiara Francesco

[/quote]

I visited the Dominican nuns of Menlo Park, CA and they were so wonderful!

website: [url="http://www.nunsmenlo.org/"]http://www.nunsmenlo.org/[/url]

blog: [url="http://www.opheartprints.blogspot.com/"]http://www.opheartprints.blogspot.com/[/url]

Their monastery and chapel is beautiful. They told me that a study was done during WWII by the gov't (not sure of why) and they found that Menlo Park and surrounding areas had the most perfect weather all year round either in the US or even the world! It's a lovely 70's maybe low 80s in summer and cooler in Spring and for the fall and winter it doesn't get very cold.

Though it is a shame they are a mixed habit community. When I was there some of the sisters were hoping to go back to the full traditional habit.

They are a wonderful community with adoration and their liturgy and the divine offices with the chanting, singing was magnificent! One of the sisters is a liturgist and does all this.

Plus, there food was to die for! You stay in their a part of the monastery that has several bedrooms and baths off a huge room with a couch, chairs, tables, etc - like a big sitting room with a book case full of great books.

Edited by Chiara Francesco

[quote name='Chiara Francesco' timestamp='1300883392' post='2222633']
I visited the Dominican nuns of Menlo Park, CA and they were so wonderful!

website: [url="http://www.nunsmenlo.org/"]http://www.nunsmenlo.org/[/url]

blog: [url="http://www.opheartprints.blogspot.com/"]http://www.opheartprints.blogspot.com/[/url]

Their monastery and chapel is beautiful. They told me that a study was done during WWII by the gov't (not sure of why) and they found that Menlo Park and surrounding areas had the most perfect weather all year round either in the US or even the world! It's a lovely 70's maybe low 80s in summer and cooler in Spring and for the fall and winter it doesn't get very cold.

Though it is a shame they are a mixed habit community. When I was there some of the sisters were hoping to go back to the full traditional habit.

They are a wonderful community with adoration and their liturgy and the divine offices with the chanting, singing was magnificent! One of the sisters is a liturgist and does all this.

Plus, there food was to die for! You stay in their a part of the monastery that has several bedrooms and baths off a huge room with a couch, chairs, tables, etc - like a big sitting room with a book case full of great books.
[/quote]

I have seen their website and blog. It looks beautiful! Almost makes me wish I felt called to a monastery. I would love to meet them though. I love Dominican nuns, they are powerhouses of prayer and are so joyful.