An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholicism Is Dangerous Now, Apparently.

arfink

LittleWaySoul

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1343851516' post='2461219']
I agree. I found it pretty disturbing when that story broke about the NYPD infiltrating all sorts of Catholics Church and student organizations. And then, to top it all off, there have been a wave of state constitutional amendments banning Catholics from marying other Catholics. Very scary stuff for Catholics going on right now.
[/quote]
Wait, WHAT?! I haven't heard about these things happening. Do you have links to something that might explain, or could you yourself explain?

[quote name='LittleWaySoul' timestamp='1344195105' post='2463010']
Wait, WHAT?! I haven't heard about these things happening. Do you have links to something that might explain, or could you yourself explain?
[/quote]

:secret: He's trolling.

Edited by Amppax

LittleWaySoul

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1344195319' post='2463013']
:secret: He's trolling.
[/quote]
Oops. Awkward. I see that now. :blush: :oops: Sorry!

LittleWaySoul

About the original post, however, I totally agree. It's very scary to see where the attitudes are going concerning Christians and Catholics especially. We just need to pray that we find the strength to get through it faithfully.

[quote name='LittleWaySoul' timestamp='1344195105' post='2463010']
[/quote]

No. Those are things happening to Muslims and gays. In the case of the latter, with the backing of the Catholic Church. I wouldn't exactly call either an instance of persecution but it is an actual case of the state discriminating against, or playing fast and loose with, the civil rights of a sub-set of the American populations.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1343948432' post='2461740']
That's the reality of the modern state. You're supporting the continued presence of government in marriage. Are you now rejecting the current set up? Do you want governments to stop issuing marriage permission slips? Are you advocating that churches stop paying attention to the ridiculous marriage permission slip farce, and just bestow the sacrament?
[/quote]
I support the teaching of the Church on this matter, which is that the law "recognize, promote and protect marriage as the basis of the family, the primary unit of society."

I'm sure you can receive the sacrament of Catholic marriage if you wish without getting a marriage license - the state simply would not give any legal recognition to the marriage; but that would be exactly the same situation as if the state did not legally recognize any marriages, period. No one's going to arrest you and lock you up for receiving a sacrament.

And where did I say I was defending the current set up? The truth is that I'd be perfectly happy doing away with the practice of paying the state a fee for a marriage license. I never claimed that the current system was ideal, and you're attacking a strawman. The state could simply accept a statement signed by a priest or minister - or by just the couple themselves - in order to recognize them as married. Just so long as the marriage is between a man and woman (as no other coupling or grouping of persons, animals, or objects is, or ever can be, a marriage).

What I, and the Church, have a problem with is the state not giving any legal recognition to marriage, period, or worse yet, putting "unions" between sodomites and such on the same legal standing as marriage between man and woman. That is clearly condemned by the Church, and support for legal recognition of homosexual unions is condemned as "gravely immoral."

[quote]
[left]When legislation in favour of the recognition of homosexual unions is proposed for the first time in a legislative assembly, the Catholic law-maker has a moral duty to express his opposition clearly and publicly and to vote against it.[b] To vote in favour of a law so harmful to the common good is gravely immoral.[/b][/left]
When legislation in favour of the recognition of homosexual unions is already in force, the Catholic politician must oppose it in the ways that are possible for him and make his opposition known; it is his duty to witness to the truth.
[/quote]

[quote]The Church teaches that respect for homosexual persons cannot lead in any way to approval of homosexual behaviour [b]or to legal recognition of homosexual unions. The common good requires that laws recognize, promote and protect marriage as the basis of the family, the primary unit of society. Legal recognition of homosexual unions or placing them on the same level as marriage would mean not only the approval of deviant behaviour, with the consequence of making it a model in present-day society, but would also obscure basic values which belong to the common inheritance of humanity.[/b] The Church cannot fail to defend these values, for the good of men and women and for the good of society itself.[/quote]

What dUSt proposed, and many support on here, is 100% contrary to the Church's teachings:
[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1343841884' post='2461143']
Let's let the churches perform marriages, and the government issue civil union certificates. Make it the same for everybody. Men and women, men and men, women and women, men and women + women, whatever. They all get to be legally civil union-fied.
[/quote]

Edited by Socrates

Mark of the Cross

[left][quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1343998337' post='2461976']
Hey! Don't drag me into supporting the Catholic Church's position, LOL! [b] I'm not Catholic so I don't have to follow it.[/b]

.[/left]
[/quote]
That was exactly my point which 'Knight' has totally missed. The links he posted are not related to what I wrote. I think I'll change my religion to whatever you are, you make more sense than Knight! I'm rather concerned about the English comprehension of either he or myself and I don't think it's me.

Mark of the Cross

I watched an interview last night between Molly Meldrum and Elton John. At first I felt utter revulsion for them until Elton John started to talk about his life. He told how he had visited an orphanage and a child had taken a liking to him but he had passed up the offer to adopt because he was 'too old' and a 'gay man'. He went on to tell the struggles he had in life with drugs and his homosexuality and how the child he did adopt has brought him out of a dark time with its love. In a few minutes I changed my attitude toward this man. I think the heading of this thread is missing something.

Ignorance of Catholicism is dangerous!