An Old School Catholic Message Board

False Ideas About Men

tinytherese

Man, I have seen some curious stuff in this thread. First off men are supposed to be the stronger sex and the protectors and providers, they are built that way. Its normal for a father to try and get his child interested in sports for the competition and character building aspects which carry into life their life experiences, that said a father should never be demeaning of his son only encouraging and realize that all people are not the same, some young males prefer to use their minds instead. The media for the last decade has been portraying men as either stupid, weak or useless and many times all three, and women as strong, intelligent leaders, its just to promote the agenda to tear apart the normal family roles and its working. Single parent families are the norm, divorce is more common than successful marriages. The media is trying to shape the future and is doing a great job so far.

ed

Christianity is one of the last remaining die hard reinforcers of traditional gender roles. Kind of a transparent thread.

Our brave new gender roles happen to suck almost as much as previous generation's gender roles. Your point?

Semper Catholic

Man, I have seen some curious stuff in this thread. First off men are supposed to be the stronger sex and the protectors and providers, they are built that way. Its normal for a father to try and get his child interested in sports for the competition and character building aspects which carry into life their life experiences, that said a father should never be demeaning of his son only encouraging and realize that all people are not the same, some young males prefer to use their minds instead. The media for the last decade has been portraying men as either stupid, weak or useless and many times all three, and women as strong, intelligent leaders, its just to promote the agenda to tear apart the normal family roles and its working. Single parent families are the norm, divorce is more common than successful marriages. The media is trying to shape the future and is doing a great job so far.

ed

Wow this is cliche. Right out of the Sarah Palin talking points handbook.

PhuturePriest

Our brave new gender roles happen to smell of elderberries almost as much as previous generation's gender roles. Your point?

What is your idea of perfect gender roles?

I've yet to know a little girl who didn't want to be a princess. That's not to say girls don't like engineering and math and science, but I never had engineering, math or science toys when I was a kid. I had G.I. Joe's. You know, the action figures with guns you point at other action figures with guns and make bullet and explosion noises with your mouth. It was amesome.

This isn't to say girls should all want to be princesses. I just don't like the commercial because it's putting girls in another box: Now girls all have to like engineering, and if you are a little girl that likes princesses and pink and dolls, you'll feel like you're weird and wrong.

There is a solution. Girls can be princess engineers. There's nothing wrong with being fabulous while solving the worlds mathematical and engineering problems.

There is a solution. Girls can be princess engineers. There's nothing wrong with being fabulous while solving the worlds mathematical and engineering problems.

Being fabulous is pretty awesome.

PhuturePriest

The only thing more attractive than a useless damsel in distress like Princess Peach is a Princess that's actually useful and capable of handling things by herself.

My daughter likes princesses and also wants to be the Hulk. I'm not so keen on princesses, but we'll make it

My friend is a biologist who has pinnings of butterflies and aracnids on her wall, has a full reptile set up and has done taxodermy in the home.

My friends daughter wears only dresses, loves everything pink and sparkly, loves horses, stuffed anamials and jewelry (the gawdier the better).

I dislike the comercial beuase it's a bit hypocritical...the props on the set were mostly designed by the man who is trying to sell the toys and trying to get the toys better for girls.

My Fiancee dosn't like sports but he does like video games and is an engeneer. 

And I think that women and sports is becoming far more popular.  It's just a matter of time as the NFL and NBA and NHL and MLB cater more towards women.

southern california guy

Being fabulous is pretty amesome.

Oh it can be tough too.. When you are not only super good looking, incredibly athletic, but also really really smart it can become a sort of burden. The girls naturally are all madly in love with you, everybody wants you to play on their team, and you have to choose between being a CEO or a professional athlete..

Oh it can be tough too.. When you are not only super good looking, incredibly athletic, but also really really smart it can become a sort of burden. The girls naturally are all madly in love with you, everybody wants you to play on their team, and you have to choose between being a CEO or a professional athlete..

Don't talk about me like I'm not here.

What are little boys made of? What are little boys made of? Slugs and snails And puppy-dogs' tails, That's what little boys are made of. What are little girls made of? What are little girls made of? Sugar and spice And everything nice, That's what little girls are made of.   life would be kind of boring if men and woman are or where the same :lol4:

Wow this is cliche. Right out of the Sarah Palin talking points handbook.

Oft times the truth can seem cliche ....  I am certain that there are those these days who think the Holy Family is cliche, you know, strong father providing for the family, obedient mother, etc.

ed

Edited by Ed Normile

PhuturePriest

This thread is lacking in that it is not centered around me.

A false idea about threads is that they should not always be about me. This falsehood was created and is headed by the Anti-Awesome People Like FP League, lead by the evil leader BlazeingStar, more commonly known by her nickname, "OMG I love Santa".

So does your dad therefore think that your mom and his nieces are lesbians? 

Some parents - whether they're overcontrolling, trying to live their lives through their kids, or if they think that their kid turning pro is their retirement plan - don't make sports fun for their kids, so it's no wonder that some kids don't want to get involved.  Just look at the news (if you even have to look that far!) at the fights parents get into with other parents or referrees or officials at their kids' sporting events.   

Part of the appeal of sports to kids is the spontaneity of it. I don't think leagues are bad, but they can also take away the spontaneity of a bunch of kids just playing an impromptu game of baseball or football, because the league becomes the focus of the sport. Professional sports has contributed to this, obviously. It's unfortunate that kids aren't playing baseball in America like they used to. I don't know what kids are like today, but my best memories are playing football or basketball in the street until we couldn't see the ball anymore. Would be curious to know if that still goes on (obviously it does, but I wonder if it's changed).