An Old School Catholic Message Board

Book for protestant parents

katherineH

Hello friends,

I joined the Catholic Church a couple of years ago and my parents have a fairly strong anti-Catholic sentiment.  I want to share a book with them on the topic because I think they would be more open to reading something by a scholar than myself.  I have found that a lot of apologetic books tend to have a defensive and combative tone towards Protestants.  I am looking for a book that presents the Catholic faith in depth but that doesn't fall into anti-Protestant rhetoric.  My dad is a pastor so it's going to have to be something a little denser and complex than your typical Scott Hahn and Catholic Answers stuff (nothing against them, they're just fairly general).  Thanks!!

You could try Orthodoxy by Chesterton, but I am thinking that may not be as dense as you have in mind. You also could put together say 5-10 encyclicals on what you think would be key topics to cover. Encyclicals that would together add up to book length.

The Faith of the Early Fathers, edited/arranged by William Jurgens, might be a good starting point as a means of establishing the overriding authenticity of Catholicism, compared to more recent sectarian deviations.

I'd recommend  looking through Called to Communion's recommended reading list: http://www.calledtocommunion.com. The writers there are all former Protestants, most of whom are either doctoral students or already have their doctorate. It's written at a very high level, so I'd recommend the blog too. 

The reading list is very good, it has a wide section of books on many different topics.