An Old School Catholic Message Board

How to pick an entrance date

AVEBVM

I’m wondering how people pick entrance dates to monasteries. If you have any personal experience with this topic, do tell. I was just accepted at one and now I’m deciding a date. I had a few dates in mind and now I’m set on one Feast day of victories… 

But the only advice I really got on this was to try a few dates on … I’m still in the whirlwind of excitement about being accepted and a lot of other business right now. 
If anyone has any advice, I would appreciate it. Pray for me, please!

cruciatacara

I know nothing about religious life but a friend of mine entered on a Feast day and she said if she had to do it over again, she would have chosen differently because Feast days are usually very busy with lots going on so the whole entrance has the added stress of the Feast day. She said she would chose a day that was meaningful to her in some way but not a significant day for the community. Just what I heard.

I have no idea how things are now, but this is interesting (I never was cloistered.) As I recall, and certainly in my case, communities used to have a particular entrance day, for anyone joining that year. (Some might have two entrance dates each year, if the community was large.) 

SicutColumba

A lot of communities have entrances that depend on the school year or work quarter, so August and September are popular months. That’s usually for active communities, but I have a friend who’s entering a cloistered congregation and her entrance date is a random day in September, not even a feast. 

The thing is, you could choose a feast day that’s important but doesn’t totally throw off the regular schedule for the community (like that of Our Lady of Victories). Entering on the Assumption would be chaotic but meaningful. Entering on a lesser feast would be meaningful and not too chaotic, because I imagine the regular schedule would be kept even if there’s a bit more festivity. 

Sister Leticia

Congratulations on being accepted by a monastery. As you say, you're in a bit of a whirlwind right now, what with excitement, telling people and whatever else you need to do. 

I was surprised when you said you'd been asked to pick a date - presumably within a specific time-frame (eg if you're due to enter in October/November), rather than any date between Jan - Dec! Is this because the monastery is being very respectful of all the things you need to do before entering, such as finishing work/study, sorting our finances, spending time with family...? If so, give yourself all the time you think you might need. The monastery will still be there, whether you enter on 1st October or 30th November, but you will be in a better frame of mind if you arrive calm and rested.

I'm writing as someone who didn't enter on a feast day - it was simply the date which was most convenient to my community. But the date is no less special to me for that! And just as the accoutrements of a wedding day can make the day special and provide happy memories, but are not what will ultimately make the marriage last - the same goes for the date of our entry. It might mean something to you in years to come that you entered on this or that feast, but your religious life will not be defined by it.

One final thing. Two people have already offered good advice concerning monastic busyness around a big feast. Even if your entrance ceremony will be very low-key, the community would find themselves with one extra thing to do and prepare for. So, have you thought of asking the community what would be most helpful to them? - and then accepting whatever they say if they state a preference, eg for a random day or lesser feast? You're about to embrace a way of life which isn't all about you, and in which "we/us" will come to take precedence over "me", so this would be a really good way to begin.

May your time ahead be blessed!

Yes! to all that Sr. Leticia said. For me, September 10 is a very special day, because it is the date I defended my doctoral dissertation and received my PhD. It is only "special" because of what happened in my life, and I remember it every year. It was selected because it was convenient for me and for my entire dissertation committee. The day you enter will be special to you--and, no doubt, to your community, should you persevere. But it's like worrying so much about the wedding that one loses sight of the lifelong commitment of the marriage that it signifies. 

Thanks everyone for your input, I really did need to realize some of this! I will ask the community what is most convenient for them.