An Old School Catholic Message Board

New EF Community - Servants of the Children of Light

teresianspirit

teresianspirit

A new public association of the faithful iin the diocese of Bismarck, Servants of the Children of Light, have a beautiful new website.

The Servants:

-celebrate Mass in the Extraordinary Form whenever possible

-pray the Extraordinary Form of the Divine Office

-have a Benedictine spirituality

-have an apostolate of Catholic Montessori education

-take a fourth vow to serve Christ in the child

servantsofthechildrenoflight.org

• 2 weeks later...

It appears this Public Association of the Faithful has only 1 member as yet -  the foundress.  

So I have question for those of you more familiar with foundations (not my area of expertise)...is there a time limit on a new PAF to increase in size, or can it continue with 1 member indefinitely? I was very surprised when I went to the website to see it is comprised of only 1 Sister who is in First Vows.  The website (and its contents) appears, at first glance, to be very ambitious and representative of more than 1 Sister. 

No criticism, but Just curious as to process.

A religious community needs to have 3 members to be considered a community. One person is not a community, or even an association. If it does have only one member, I am surprised that a bishop would afford it any kind of public standing.

My female friend told me that some women want to be nuns but they either can't get accepted somewhere or don't want to go through all the hard stuff so they set themselves up as foundresses, where they have all the power. Very few of these type of new communities seem to make it long term.

1 hour ago, Nunsuch said:

A religious community needs to have 3 members to be considered a community. One person is not a community, or even an association. If it does have only one member, I am surprised that a bishop would afford it any kind of public standing.

I have found this an interesting trend (I'm not sure how long it's been going on for, but I know of numerous examples in the past decade).  My impression, is that in the past new communities would come about in one of two ways: they would come out of an established community or several lay women would get gathered together in some manner and then usually some cleric says that they'd be better off becoming a community.

I have seen, however, numerous instances of Bishops performing vow ceremonies for these new putative 'communities' where its just one or two people. 

6 minutes ago, truthfinder said:

I have found this an interesting trend (I'm not sure how long it's been going on for, but I know of numerous examples in the past decade).  My impression, is that in the past new communities would come about in one of two ways: they would come out of an established community or several lay women would get gathered together in some manner and then usually some cleric says that they'd be better off becoming a community.

I have seen, however, numerous instances of Bishops performing vow ceremonies for these new putative 'communities' where its just one or two people. 

You are right about what was traditionally the case, and now. Sadly. And in many--probably most--cases, these communities don't survive. In some cases, they are left abandoned when the bishop who "founded" them either retires, dies, or moves on. I think at least some of these bishops are neither well informed about religious life or about their treatment in canon law.

1 hour ago, cruciatacara said:

My female friend told me that some women want to be nuns but they either can't get accepted somewhere or don't want to go through all the hard stuff so they set themselves up as foundresses, where they have all the power. Very few of these type of new communities seem to make it long term.

Virtually none of them survives--you're right. This is all very sad. But why are they being enabled by some bishops? I honestly don't understand.

teresianspirit

Hi all, I did speak with Sister a few months ago but the details are fuzzy... I do know that she was a religious for prior to this public association, so does have experience in the religious life, and is working closely with a spiritual director and the bishop of the diocese. So, I wouldnt be so quick to say she "couldnt make it" or "just wants to be in charge" especially as it does seem to be a unique community that doesnt already exist. I think if it's not meant to be, then it wont be! But wanted people to know about it should they be interested. 

So, I hope we can avoid being overly speculative and for those who would like more information, they are always free to contact Sister or the diocese directly. God bless!

A "community" or "association" cannot consist of one person. That is simply fact (as well as canon law)--it is not speculation. 

Just an FYI.   Interesting that both the St. Mary Sisters (who are also the subject of a recent thread) and this PAF are located in the same diocese - Bismark, N.D. - and were erected by decree by the same Bishop. There are also a few other orders in the diocese (their Sisters appear to be older), and most embrace Benedictine spirituality. Probably of no consequence......just thought it was a bit odd to give the "go-ahead" to 2 fledgling PAF's who are both trying to attract vocations.  

Since all my friends from ND are non-denominational evangelical Protestants, I have no direct knowledge about the size or vibrancy of the Diocese of Bismark.  Perhaps they have a thriving seminary and religious orders.  No clue.  But giving approval to 2 "foundresses" in such a short period of time seems to be a bit counterproductive.  Again, no criticisms, just observations.

Thanks @Nunsuch for your reply.

Perhaps this is should be a topic for a new thread, as it's a bit off topic (and I meant my question as a more general one and not a slight on the community that had been posted.)

There still remains a canon law stating that to be ordained a bishop, the priest should have a degree (licentiate) in theology, sacred scripture, or canon law. I think things have gotten more 'squidgy' in terms of what degrees have been accepted.

There's also a few bishops who clearly want religious life in their dioceses and have found 'novel' ways to do it (whether or not its canonically wisest).