An Old School Catholic Message Board

Feed Your Ears

Luigi

Bob Ferguson wrote "On the Wings of a Dove" in 1958. Ferlin Husky recorded & released it in 1960. It spent 12 weeks at Number 1 on the country charts, and also crossed over to the pop charts where it attained #12. Sing along, or clap along, as you see fit.

I can find very little information about Gloria Bailey other than the fact that she was born and raised in Louisville and died in 2021. This song, "When He Calls Me" in interesting for a couple of reasons. Her voice is not a typical Gospel Music voice; the music is so simple as to be almost a folk song; the instrumentation is almost country; and she has a very interesting accent - when I first heard her, I thought she might be from Jamaica or somewhere in the Caribbean. 

The Blind Boys of Alabama sing "Ain't Nobody's Fault But Mine." 

My cousin died last night; this one's for him. It's the Bahamian spiritual "I Bid You Goodnight," often referred to as "Lay Down, My Dear Brother." You might know The Grateful Dead's version, but I prefer Aaron Neville's gentler and more heartfelt rendition (with his brothers, of course!). Interesting side note - this album and all the songs on it were produced by Linda Ronstadt. 

Mississippi John Hurt is best known for singing the blues, but he also sang Gospel. This is "I Shall Not Be Moved." It was adopted by the folk movement and became an anthem for people like Pete Seeger, but it actually originated in Gospel, based on the very first psalm. 

Moe Bandy was a popular country singer in the 80s and 90s. Some of his songs were pretty wild. But this is a Gospel number called "Many Mansions." It relates the Biblical concept to homelessness, which has not really improved since this was released (1989). 

Josh White (1914-1969) was a guitarist, singer, actor, and civil rights activist. He had an interesting life; you should look him up in Wikipedia and read about him. Here he sings the traditional spiritual "Paul and Silas Bound in Jail." Keep in mind that a lot of spirituals were put together by and for illiterate people - the Word would be read to them, preaching explained it more or less, and the song would help them remember the Biblical story and its meaning. Plus, everybody likes music! 

I really like the original Carter Family, in spite of the primitive recording equipment and the rather tinny sound it produced. They were one of the most prominent transitional groups from folk music to the Country Music Bidness. This is "Fifty Miles of Elbow Room" with Sarah Carter singing lead. It's a vision of the heavenly Jerusalem. When trains were invented, Gospel singers incorporated them into Gospel songs; by the same token, when planes were invented, Gospel singers incorporated them into Gospel songs. And Sarah Carter became an airplane pilot rather late in life, after she had quit the Country Music Bidness. 

Patty Loveless is Loretta Lynn's cousin, and Patty had her own very successful career in Country music. Like Loretta Lynn, Loveless is from the hills of Kentucky. Here she sings the traditional hymn "Daniel Prayed," a la bluegrass, with Ricky Skaggs. While our non-Catholic brothers and sisters don't have the rich tradition of the Communion of Saints or the Lives of the Saints, they nonetheless do look to Biblical figures as models of Christian living. On a side note, I love how Skaggs handles the rowdy fan, after the first verse. 

I just figured out that I didn't post a song yesterday. I picked one, wrote a little intro, and posted the link, but I never hit Submit Reply. Oh, well. 

"All My Tears" was written by Julie Miller. I first heard it sung by Emmylou Harris. But this recording is by Selah, featuring Kim Hill. My cousin was buried today - this one's for The Captain. 

The Hillbilly Thomists sing "Keep Your Lamps Trimmed." There are a lot of variations on this song out there - it's a common theme in the repertoire of spirituals. But I think the Thomists must have come up with some of their own verses based on various Bible verses. Which is fine. The only accompaniment is a guitar, and that's just in the intro and between the verses; for all practical purposes, the song is sung a cappella. I also like the final chorus and outro, which they sing as a round.