An Old School Catholic Message Board

Number of new entrants to religious life or not?

GraceUk

GraceUk

Somebody used to post about,new entrants to various communities. Sisters of life always had a few new postulants each year. Not seeen one of those posts  for quite a while.  Declining numbers are quite a worry for a lot of communities. Things seemed to be lookimg up a few years ago even here in the UK to a small extent. But there doesn't seem to be very much  information on new entrants. 

katherineH

I think it may be a matter of this phorum not being as active as it used to be. I know communities in the US, like the Sisters of Life, keep growing every year. I did notice that the Dominican Sisters of the Eucharist don't seem to be getting the 20-25 new postulants a year they had there for a while, but hey 4-5 new postulants every year is still great "in this economy!"

There was a thread for each year - what were they called? - Entrances, Vows & Ordinations? Something like that? We're still early in 2024 - you could start such a thread yourself. That way, you can call it whatever you like!

Nunsuch
On 3/18/2024 at 4:54 PM, katherineH said:

I think it may be a matter of this phorum not being as active as it used to be. I know communities in the US, like the Sisters of Life, keep growing every year. I did notice that the Dominican Sisters of the Eucharist don't seem to be getting the 20-25 new postulants a year they had there for a while, but hey 4-5 new postulants every year is still great "in this economy!"

I think there is new leadership in the community, and they might have different (more rigorous?) standards for applicants, too. There were a lot of departures from the people admitted under the old regime. A new prioress and new vocation director make a difference.

katherineH
18 hours ago, Nunsuch said:

I think there is new leadership in the community, and they might have different (more rigorous?) standards for applicants, too. There were a lot of departures from the people admitted under the old regime. A new prioress and new vocation director make a difference.

That makes a lot of sense!