An Old School Catholic Message Board

Jesus Wept

Robyn

oh my goodness (don't blasphemy)...

Jesus had friends?????

that explains why he hangs out with me everyday.... why he talks to me and accepts me even with all my faults... he's a friendly guy....

Robyn... think of it this way...

that verse has 9 letters in it....

the square root of 9 is 3....

three squared is 9

there are nine links at the top of this window.... (home,store, etc)

this means that phatmass is actually the manifestation of the second coming of Christ. Yep.

How can you not see this Robyn.. The bible isn't meant to be read literally... man, do you even read the news paper literally???? you are blind....

J/K

Jesus cried coz his mate died.... How much interpretation do you need?

This verse (which, BTW, is the shortest verse in the bible for all you trivia buffs) means just that, that Jesus cried.  He had emotions, and among them was pain and sorrow.  If I remember correctly, this verse comes right after Jesus found out that John the Baptist had died.  Jesus and John were good friends, and when Jesus found out that he hand been beheaded (and the stupid reason behind it), he cried.

Peace and God Bless,

Willguy

Actually, the shortest verse is like.. John 5:4. It has absolutely no words.

that's actually cause they found that most credible Greek manuscripts didn't have it in there. THere are a few verses like that.

SKubA StEVe, yeah, Jesus is my friend too. He hangs out with me. He talks to me every day. He is also GOD, and thus infinitely greater than me. Thus i am in awe and wonder at the fact that Jesus so humbles himself to befriend mankind, to befriend me. It's a personal relationship, a familial relationship, and ALSO the relationship between a servant and his Master.

Look out Skuba Steve!

Actually, parts of the Bible are meant to be read literally. Something lost over time is the literary forms the many books of the Bible are written in. Of course, like any great work, there are multiple meanings.

Catholics read much of the Bible literally. For instance, "This is my body..."

Jesus cried coz his mate died.... How much interpretation do you need?

I hope Robyn does share with us her insight and opinion on this verse. It would be welcome. I think the conflict is centered on the fact that Catholics would take hers, or other's opinion with a grain of salt and reflect on what it means within the context of the historical understanding. Most non-fundamental Christians strive to interpret Scripture in a larger context of developed understanding.

Jesus wept.

That verse speaks to Jesus' human nature and his human love for us. It is also a key verse that helps us to understand the completeness of Jesus' Human Nature. Out of context, people could use this verse to deny Jesus' Divinity, but we've got a lot of other Scripture for that.

thats all very good and true...

my problem is when you take a verse about ministering to a person in prison and using that to define purgatory.

Stuff like that....

No we don't take one verse and define it as a doctrine. Scripture is a whole piece.

Scripture backs up the Church, because the Church came first. THe New Testament writings were picked because they backed up Church teaching for hundreds of years.

Remember there were hundred of writings claimed to be authentic, linked to an Apostles etc. THe Church picked out the ones believed to fit Church teaching. THere were great debates of the various books even then. But since we believe the Holy Spirit guides the Church( not necessarily the individual) , the correct books were picked.

so you believe that at one time the Catholic Church was guarded from err, but now it isnt? like, hey i know back then the Holy Spirit made sure you guys made the right decision about the books of the Bible, but in 2003 it just doesnt happen that way.

GOD DOESN'T CHANGE. GOD STAYS THE SAME.

if He was guarding the Church from err then, why would he stop?

The Holy Spirit came down and said, "I'll tell you which books are authentic but you're on your own from there. Now I'm going to guide you each individualy. Some of you won't listen to me but I'll tell each one of you who is listening to me and who is not."

That is silly of course. But it seems to be the position of protestants as I understand it. If my friend tells me the Spirt tells him something opposite of what the Spirit told me, how do I know if I am wrong or my friend? When the Holy Spirit guided the Church on the canon of the bible, how do we know they were listening and understanding correctly? Unless they were infallable, then there is the possibitilty that they may have misunderstoon the Holy Spirit. Now, if they could be infallible then, then why not now? Why would the Holy Spirit leave us to our own devices to undertand the Word?

Either the Bibile fell out of the sky or the teaching authority of the Church is infallible.

Robyn,

The context of certain things are literal and others are notl. That's why we don't believe in private interpretation. Yes, the literal needs to be considered, but on certain things we scratch our heads and have to take a second look. Prime example: when Jesus said "if your eye is your problem gouge it out" did He mean to literally gouge it out or was He speaking symbolically/allegorically to something deeper?

do you reckon Jesus would get annoyed if i took that literally and tore out my eyes???

You basically answered his point. Some people would view it as an allegory, while others would view it as literal.

but seriously, would he see that as a good or bad thing...? say i had a horrible gambling problem and so i cut off both my hands... and stopped gambling and coz of that, i was able to - by typing with my toes - transfer all my disability entitlements into the bank accounts of charities.

but seriously, would he see that as a good or bad thing...? say i had a horrible gambling problem and so i cut off both my hands... and stopped gambling and coz of that, i was able to - by typing with my toes - transfer all my disability entitlements into the bank accounts of charities.

But then you can go as far as saying, using the Lord's name in Vain shouldn't be a Commandment, since it's just "words". I won't be damned to hell, if I just used a "G-beaver dam" every now and then. Maybe He met something else.

Anybody can twist the true meanings of things.