An Old School Catholic Message Board

"oh My God" A Mortal Sin?

rosco22

SeekingHisPlan

You know what cured me of saying the Lord's name carelessly? Hanging out with nuns for four days in a row. You did NOT say anything rougher than "Oh my goodness" in the presence of these women. And it's not like I did it and got blasted for it, it's just something I knew I had to watch, and being that vigilant for 4 days really helped. I will slip once in a while, but much less than I used to.

The Lords name is sacred and holy at all times. The media and movies are bathed in the phrase. A priest friend once told me to make the sign of the cross eveytime it is said in an un-holy manner. Saying "the phrase" is un-holy no matter how or when it is said,unless it is prayer! Bottom line is....if you have been saying it for a long time and you are tryng to stop and you are catching yourself before or duing saying it. That IS grace from God!................He knows what is in your heart! The two of you walk this one together! JC

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='jckinsman' post='1246291' date='Apr 16 2007, 08:34 PM']The Lords name is sacred and holy at all times. The media and movies are bathed in the phrase. A priest friend once told me to make the sign of the cross eveytime it is said in an un-holy manner. Saying "the phrase" is un-holy no matter how or when it is said,unless it is prayer! Bottom line is....if you have been saying it for a long time and you are tryng to stop and you are catching yourself before or duing saying it. That IS grace from God!................He knows what is in your heart! The two of you walk this one together! JC[/quote]

when I say it IS a prayer, why else would you say it??

[quote name='ironmonk' post='1229219' date='Apr 3 2007, 11:53 PM']But at the same time, it is important to remember that using the Lord's Name in vain is worse than lying, murder, adultery, etc...[/quote]
So you are telling me that the guy that just killed 33 people at v-tech is less of a sinner than my friends because on occasion they say oh my god? wow. that is definetly screwed up man! <_<

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1246377' date='Apr 16 2007, 08:03 PM']when I say it IS a prayer, why else would you say it??[/quote]
Hello!
We were speaking of using the lords name in an un-holy manner.( Oh MY. . . !) I think alot of people use it in all sorts of ways! I was saying that God's Holy name should only be used in prayer or when you are speaking of him, Not when your shocked, startled, freaking out or smashed your thumb. JC

johnnydigit

[quote name='jckinsman' post='1246291' date='Apr 16 2007, 04:34 PM']The Lords name is sacred and holy at all times. The media and movies are bathed in the phrase. A priest friend once told me to make the sign of the cross eveytime it is said in an un-holy manner. Saying "the phrase" is un-holy no matter how or when it is said,unless it is prayer! Bottom line is....if you have been saying it for a long time and you are tryng to stop and you are catching yourself before or duing saying it. That IS grace from God!................He knows what is in your heart! The two of you walk this one together! JC[/quote]

good idea! i am getting pretty sick of my family and friends saying it, so that gesture may put some more thought into their heads.

and for those trying to stop, perhaps if you learned more about the name of God in scripture, how holy it was to the Jews, the titles given to men, all the levels of offense and possible ways to offend God when you say it, you might be more inclined to stop when you realize how much it hurts Him..

personally i use "dangit" a lot. i actually am trying not to say any word at all. even with a "nicer" word, your intention is still to make an exclamation to either yourself and/or those around you. you never know what kind of influence you can have on someone, no matter how or small you think it is. maybe i'll try to, instead of *needing* to say something, talk to God about the thing that is making me want to exclaim something, but quietly to myself.

so.. i think the goal is not only to not use God's name in vain, but to go a step further and stop having to use negative exclamations altogether.

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1246939' date='Apr 17 2007, 03:49 AM']good idea! i am getting pretty sick of my family and friends saying it, so that gesture may put some more thought into their heads.

and for those trying to stop, perhaps if you learned more about the name of God in scripture, how holy it was to the Jews, the titles given to men, all the levels of offense and possible ways to offend God when you say it, you might be more inclined to stop when you realize how much it hurts Him..

personally i use "dangit" a lot. i actually am trying not to say any word at all. even with a "nicer" word, your intention is still to make an exclamation to either yourself and/or those around you. you never know what kind of influence you can have on someone, no matter how or small you think it is. maybe i'll try to, instead of *needing* to say something, talk to God about the thing that is making me want to exclaim something, but quietly to myself.

so.. i think the goal is not only to not use God's name in vain, but to go a step further and stop having to use negative exclamations altogether.[/quote]
I think that it, is used so frequently, most people are un-aware they have said it or they don't even hear it anymore! Another one I heard of was after His name is used badly say" Wait a minute here,I did not know we were praying!" Never heard a bad word from my father all my life until my sister was learning to drive. She hit the side of the garage and preceded to drive over the edge into the rose garden ( a 3 foot drop) My sister (poor thing) started crying when my father exclaimed ,"REALLY< REALLY DIRTY BIRD" We all knew he had reached his limit! My father ...He was mad!

Edited by jckinsman

When people say "Oh My God" around me, I almost always say "You mean 'oh my gosh', right?"

It isn't rude, but it refocusses people to the use of that word.

[quote name='prose' post='1249522' date='Apr 19 2007, 05:44 PM']And on that note, that new show "Thank God You're Here" makes me cringe everytime I hear a commercial.[/quote]
DITTO