An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sister Servants Of The Eternal Word

laetitia crucis

laetitia crucis

So, I was wondering if anyone here has [i]recently[/i] (within the past year or so) discerned with the [url="http://www.sisterservants.org/index.html"]Sister Servants of the Eternal Word[/url] (SSEW). Their website doesn't seem to have much information (though I do appreciate the daily schedule) and their last newsletter is from Summer 2006. And as for searching the Phorum, I only found an [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=47253&view=&hl=Sister%20Servants%20of%20the%20Eternal%20Word&fromsearch=1"]old post[/url] from 2006 as well.

In particular, I was wondering about more specifics to their charism.

Their website says:

[quote]"I envisioned a religious community whose structure would make possible a religious family rooted in a deep prayer life enabling its members to work from an enlightened and contemplative perspective. Our work of retreats and catechesis would necessarily focus in the Catholic Faith, thus nourishing the Sisters' spiritual lives as well as those of the people we serve."[/quote]

So... do they actually give retreats as well as host them? How are they involved in the "preaching" of St. Dominic -- is this mostly through CCD classes or the like?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :)

While I don't have any information to provide you, unfortunately, I do wish the SSEW would update their website. :saint:

On a different note, I wish the Carmel DCJ in Kirkwood would update theirs! My friend entered 2 weeks ago and her picture is still not posted. :rolleyes:

Well, its been, what, 1.5 years since I was there. But what I remember is ...

They host retreats, mostly for adults. They don't preach the actual retreat, but they talk about Catholic teaching with the laity during meals, social time, etc. Believe me, a lot of questions come up during those times.

They hosted a few Confirmation retreats where the Sisters would do actual instruction with the teenagers in small groups. Then occassionally they'd do a 'parish mission' type of thing, visiting a parish or conference and giving a talk about some aspect of Catholic spirituality (eg., Our Lady of Fatima.)

The website may be updated soon. They recently had a couple of first professions.

[quote name='Lilllabettt' date='20 September 2009 - 03:10 PM' timestamp='1253470210' post='1969715']
Well, its been, what, 1.5 years since I was there. But what I remember is ...

They host retreats, mostly for adults. They don't preach the actual retreat, but they talk about Catholic teaching with the laity during meals, social time, etc. Believe me, a lot of questions come up during those times.

They hosted a few Confirmation retreats where the Sisters would do actual instruction with the teenagers in small groups. Then occassionally they'd do a 'parish mission' type of thing, visiting a parish or conference and giving a talk about some aspect of Catholic spirituality (eg., Our Lady of Fatima.)

The website may be updated soon. They recently had a couple of first professions.
[/quote]

I believe Lillabett is right ... I visited them a looooong time ago. No -- they don't teach CCD. When I visited them I got the impression that they didn't leave the convent much at all ... although that may have changed.

One thing that wasn't mentioned I think is that their carism is both Dominican and Franciscan.

[quote name='stlmom' date='20 September 2009 - 06:04 PM' timestamp='1253484288' post='1969926']
We had another PM'er enter there in the past year (Veritas99). Could she now be a novice?
[/quote]

+

I saw her a little while ago while she was on home-vist for the ordination as bishop of her Spiritual Director. As far as I know she's still there and is/will be a novice. :)

laetitia crucis

[quote name='cmariadiaz' date='21 September 2009 - 04:47 AM' timestamp='1253476037' post='1969798']
I believe Lillabett is right ... I visited them a looooong time ago. No -- they don't teach CCD. When I visited them I got the impression that they didn't leave the convent much at all ... although that may have changed.

One thing that wasn't mentioned I think is that their carism is both Dominican and Franciscan.
[/quote]

Thank you both very much -- I found the information you gave quite insightful!

I also think it's quite neat that they combine both Dominican and Franciscan spirituality. :twothumbsup: I wonder how their formation works... :think: I'm currently having a difficult time coming to terms with the Franciscan view of the Incarnation. :scratchhead: (It's all that (awesome!) Thomistic formation that I had with the SSVM! :D ) Does anyone know if the SSEW tend to follow the philosophical and theological teachings of the beloved Angelic Doctor? :love: ;)

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Veritas' date='21 September 2009 - 08:09 AM' timestamp='1253488148' post='1969958']
+

I saw her a little while ago while she was on home-vist for the ordination as bishop of her Spiritual Director...
[/quote]

That is [i]too[/i] cool! :smokey:

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='21 September 2009 - 12:08 AM' timestamp='1253502490' post='1970136']
Does anyone know if the SSEW tend to follow the philosophical and theological teachings of the beloved Angelic Doctor? :love: ;)
[/quote]

I didn't go all the way through formation, obviously, but from my experience, there is no particular "theology" they follow ... formation is more "informal" where theological education is concerned ... basically, class was reading a spiritual classic and going over it with the novice mistress. If a theological system happened to come up, then it was discussed just as far as what it was, but not taught as "this is the view of the community." There were also some home study catechism courses, but these had more to do with the doctrinal teachings of the Church, not so much the different theological approaches ...we were pretty much free to be a St Thomas or a St. Bonaventure type, if we were so inclined.

Where the Dominican/Franciscan thing comes in is, they're very devotional, like the Franciscans. Physical labor (don't be scared, not hard labor!) like the Franciscans too. But they also pray the full Rosary every day and have study time built in to the schedule.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Lilllabettt' date='21 September 2009 - 11:57 PM' timestamp='1253545029' post='1970397']
I didn't go all the way through formation, obviously, but from my experience, there is no particular "theology" they follow ... formation is more "informal" where theological education is concerned ... basically, class was reading a spiritual classic and going over it with the novice mistress. If a theological system happened to come up, then it was discussed just as far as what it was, but not taught as "this is the view of the community." There were also some home study catechism courses, but these had more to do with the doctrinal teachings of the Church, not so much the different theological approaches ...we were pretty much free to be a St Thomas or a St. Bonaventure type, if we were so inclined.

Where the Dominican/Franciscan thing comes in is, they're very devotional, like the Franciscans. Physical labor (don't be scared, not hard labor!) like the Franciscans too. But they also pray the full Rosary every day and have study time built in to the schedule.
[/quote]

Thank you so much, Lillabett! I greatly appreciate your input, especially concerning the Dominican/Franciscan balance. :) :thumbsup:

• 11 months later...

[quote name='InHisLove726' timestamp='1253468806' post='1969706']
While I don't have any information to provide you, unfortunately, I do wish the SSEW would update their website. :saint:

On a different note, I wish the Carmel DCJ in Kirkwood would update theirs! My friend entered 2 weeks ago and her picture is still not posted. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Your Friend is now Sister Elizabeth Maria

I've been looking into this order as I love the retreat apostolate and Franciscan. The order looks wonderful.

Is everything okay with you, Laetitia?

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1283961930' post='2169963']
I've been looking into this order as I love the retreat apostolate and Franciscan. The order looks wonderful.

[/quote]

**Just wanted to mention that this topic was started about a year ago. It was before L_C discerned with the Dominican Sisters she will be entering with in October. :)

laetitia crucis

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1283961930' post='2169963']

[/quote]

Everything is FANTASTIC, Joyful! :smile2: :yahoo:

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1283962521' post='2169978']
**Just wanted to mention that this topic was started about a year ago. It was before L_C discerned with the Dominican Sisters she will be entering with in October. :)
[/quote]

*nods* Thank you, MM! :buddies:

Less that one month to go... :w00t:

[img]http://files.myopera.com/debplatt/smiley/whew.gif[/img]

I wish we had a *relieved* smiley! So glad to hear that. It got me concerned. :smile2:

Edited by JoyfulLife