An Old School Catholic Message Board

40 Belief-Shaking Remarks From Friedrich Nietzsche

Lil Red

Interesting list. I liked some of them. Along the way, I was trying to think of what pithy things Chesterton would say about them.

ThePenciledOne

I love Neitzsche. :sweat:

Good list too, some of my favorites in there.

Edited by ThePenciledOne

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='18 June 2010 - 03:36 PM' timestamp='1276889769' post='2131004']
I found more wisdom in the Phatmass Cookbook thread. :D
[/quote]
Food is wise.

ThePenciledOne

[quote name='Era Might' date='18 June 2010 - 04:27 PM' timestamp='1276889242' post='2131003']
Here is my aphorism:

Aphorisms wind up on headstones for a reason.
[/quote]

So, I take you don't like aphorisms then do you?

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='18 June 2010 - 03:36 PM' timestamp='1276889769' post='2131004']
I found more wisdom in the Phatmass Cookbook thread. :D
[/quote]

Agreed. :popcorn:

:annoyed: @ Nietzsche!

[img]http://www.raptitude.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Nietzsche.jpg[/img]

His 'stache is pure win

[quote name='ThePenciledOne' date='18 June 2010 - 03:42 PM' timestamp='1276890132' post='2131009']
So, I take you don't like aphorisms then do you?
[/quote]
I don't mind them, so long as they're not taken too seriously. They're good discussion starters.

Edited by Era Might

ThePenciledOne

[quote name='Era Might' date='18 June 2010 - 06:08 PM' timestamp='1276895300' post='2131044']
I don't mind them, so long as they're not taken too seriously. They're good discussion starters.
[/quote]

True, and I think they should also be looked at with an open mind as well.

Laudate_Dominum

my face should be looked at with an open mind.

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=105963"]flamebait?[/url]

Nietzshe expresses some truth yet he is nothing compared to Catholic wisdom as well as the wisdom of Jesus Sirch and Solomon:

1. People who have given us their complete confidence believe that they have a right to ours. The inference is false, a gift confers no rights.

The only one worthy of complete confidence is God.

2. He that humbleth himself wishes to be exalted.

The Truth humbles and exalts one. There is and will be much humbling and exalting in this age and in the next age.

3. The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.

One should only hold esteem for God who is Truth, Love, Mercy, Justice and any act done in imitation of God.

4. There are no facts, only interpretations.

All interpretations of fallen and limited men are either fallible or a shadow of the fullness of the Truth expressed in Tradition, Scripture, Magisterium.

5. Morality is but the herd-instinct in the individual.

God is the eternal moral law. The Divine Nature is the eternal moral law, and the eternal moral law was promulgated with the creation of human reason called the natural law.

6. No one talks more passionately about his rights than he who in the depths of his soul doubts whether he has any.

this might be true is some cases.

7. Without music, life would be a mistake.

A soul in the state of sanctifying grace is a continual is beautiful music before God and man.

8. Anyone who has declared someone else to be an idiot, a bad apple, is annoyed when it turns out in the end that he isn’t.

Only an idiot wastes his time writing about someone who declares someone else an idiot

10. The man of knowledge must be able not only to love his enemies but also to hate his friends.

Sirach
{6:11} A friend, if he remains steadfast, will be to you as you are to yourself, and he will act with faithfulness among those of your household.
{6:12} If he humbles himself before you and hides himself from your face, you shall have a noble and harmonious friendship.

11. A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.

Faith and reason lays bare the moral evil which is the root cause of all evils including lunatics.

12. We often refuse to accept an idea merely because the way in which it has been expressed is unsympathetic to us.

we refuse to accept truths because we do not want to change our lives.

13. No victor believes in chance.

since victory belongs to God

14. Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

Truth takes care of itself for those who are convinced.

15. Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself.

Sirach
{7:15} Do not choose to be verbose among a multitude of elders, and you should not repeat the words of your prayers.
{9:25} A man full of words is a dread to his city, but one who speaks rashly will be hated for his word.

16. It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages.

God is Love. Marriage is a Sacrament. Sacrament is a mystery which includes God. Without God there is no happiness in marriage.

17. The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude.

True art is in essence beautiful.

18. The future influences the present just as much as the past.

God fits together all past, present and future in One Divine Eternal Act.

19. The most common lie is that which one tells himself; lying to others is relatively an exception.

Sincerity does not lie to oneself or to one's neighbor.

20. I counsel you, my friends: Distrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful.

{9:21} According to your ability, be cautious of your neighbor, and treat him as the wise and prudent would.

21. Rejoicing in our joy, not suffering over our suffering, is what makes someone a friend.

Proverbs
{17:17} Whoever is a friend loves at all times. And a brother is proved by distress.

22. God is a thought who makes crooked all that is straight.

Sirach
{9:23} And let the thought of God be in your mind, and let all your discourse be on the precepts of the Most High.

23. Success has always been a great liar.

Sirach
{10:25} The fear of God is the glory of the wealthy, and of the honorable, and of the poor.

24. Nothing on earth consumes a man more quickly than the passion of resentment.

Sirach
{7:12} You should not ridicule a man in bitterness of soul. For there is One who humbles and who exalts: the all-seeing God.
{10:6} You should forget all injury done to you by your neighbor, and you should do nothing among the works of injury.

25. What do you regard as most humane? To spare someone shame.

The most humane thing to do is die for love of neighbor.

26. Whatever is done for love always occurs beyond good and evil.

God alone is Good. A man can do nothing beyond God.

maybe will finish tommorrow

"Without music, life would be a mistake." I agree, but my Deaf friends would disagree.

"The Kingdom of Heaven is a condition of the heart — not something that comes upon the earth or after death." He got this one [i]almost[/i] right. It's not merely a condition of the heart, but it is indeed not something that comes upon the earth of after death.

Rather than a condition of the heart, I'd call it a state of mind - and possibly a state of grace, too. The Kingdom of God is not God's "king-NESS" - that doesn't change; it's everything that accepts God as King. Personally, I think only people can accept God as King, but I"ve heard the argument that animals/trees/rivers/oceans that do what God designed them to do are also part of the kingdom of God.

When Jesus said, "The Kingdom of God is close at hand," he didn't mean "soon in the future."