An Old School Catholic Message Board

40 Belief-Shaking Remarks From Friedrich Nietzsche

Lil Red

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='18 June 2010 - 11:52 PM' timestamp='1276919565' post='2131218']
:idontknow: i liked most of Nietzche's better.
[/quote]
I like aphorisms. Sirach and Proverbs are chalk full of them. They contain compact power since they express truth in very simple subtle bursts of expression. Nietzche's, in my judgment, are unenlightened even foolish in some cases.

Edited by kafka

ThePenciledOne

[quote name='kafka' date='19 June 2010 - 12:56 PM' timestamp='1276962962' post='2131438']
Nietzche's, in my judgment, are unenlightened even foolish in some cases.
[/quote]

That's what makes them fun!!

:saint:

[quote name='notardillacid' date='18 June 2010 - 04:29 PM' timestamp='1276892945' post='2131024']
[img]http://www.raptitude.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Nietzsche.jpg[/img]

His 'stache is pure win
[/quote]
Werd. That's like a lifetime's work right there.

[quote name='kafka' date='18 June 2010 - 10:46 PM' timestamp='1276915569' post='2131180']
Nietzshe expresses some truth yet he is nothing compared to Catholic wisdom as well as the wisdom of Jesus Sirch and Solomon:
7. Without music, life would be a mistake.

A soul in the state of sanctifying grace is a continual is beautiful music before God and man.
[/quote]
That sounds like something Hildegard of Bingen has said :cool:

I like your responses. Especially how you pull a lot of the responses out of Sirach :cool:

[quote name='kafka' date='19 June 2010 - 11:56 AM' timestamp='1276962962' post='2131438']
I like aphorisms. Sirach and Proverbs are chalk full of them. They contain compact power since they express truth in very simple subtle bursts of expression. Nietzche's, in my judgment, are unenlightened even foolish in some cases.
[/quote]
I would distinguish aphorisms from proverbs and similar forms of wisdom. I see aphorisms more as pithy statements from individuals, whereas proverbs are more of a religious and cultural form of wisdom. A "proverb" has no true author; it belongs to the religion or to the culture. An "aphorism," on the other hand, is more about the wit or insight of an individual person; as I said before, aphorisms can be useful to start discussions, but I think the fact that the aphorism is tied to a particular person makes it less worthy of esteem than a proverb. The proverbs of Scripture are religious and cultural expressions; they are not demonstrations of the author's wit and insight. Whereas, something like Nietzsche's or Chesterton's aphorisms, even if they are witty or insightful, are still demonstrations of that particular author's wit and insight, and thus those aphorisms do not merit the same esteem as proverbs.

Edited by Era Might

[quote name='Era Might' date='19 June 2010 - 04:54 PM' timestamp='1276980843' post='2131568']
I would distinguish aphorisms from proverbs and similar forms of wisdom. I see aphorisms more as pithy statements from individuals, whereas proverbs are more of a religious and cultural form of wisdom. A "proverb" has no true author; it belongs to the religion or to the culture. An "aphorism," on the other hand, is more about the wit or insight of an individual person; as I said before, aphorisms can be useful to start discussions, but I think the fact that the aphorism is tied to a particular person makes it less worthy of esteem than a proverb. The proverbs of Scripture are religious and cultural expressions; they are not demonstrations of the author's wit and insight. Whereas, something like Nietzsche's or Chesterton's aphorisms, even if they are witty or insightful, are still demonstrations of that particular author's wit and insight, and thus those aphorisms do not merit the same esteem as proverbs.
[/quote]
I dont know if I agree. You might be being a bit too particular. Aphorism in the dictionary is "a terse saying embodying a general truth, or astute observation." Proverb is basically the same.

Some of the wisdom of Solomon are aphorisms and most of Jesus Sirach's verses are aphorisms. And they are personal:

Sirach:
"My grandfather Jesus, after he gave himself fully to a diligent reading of the law, and the prophets, and the other books that were handed down to us by our ancestors, [b]also wanted to write something himself[/b], about the things that pertain to doctrine and wisdom, so that those who desire to learn and to become skillful in these things would be more and more attentive in mind, and would be strengthened to live according to the law."

Jesus Sirach was a master in his own right. The proverbs of Solomon are based on his wisdom. Aphorisms and proverbs share a similarity in that they both express a general truth or astute obversation. They differ in that a aphorism is more straightforward, clear cut. Proverbs usually needs a little interpretation. They tend to employ metaphors.

The important point is the compact burst of truth. Nietzche's seem to have very little if any truth in them. That is the problem with his.