An Old School Catholic Message Board

Servants Of The Lord And The Virgin Of Matara

Santa Cruz

Please, does anyone have any experience with the Servants of the Lord and the Virgin of Matara? They are one of the communities I am looking at and I'd be oh so grateful for information.

I will give you alot of good things regarding the Servants of the Lord (I call them Sisters of Matara)

They are very active yet their prayer life is very deep. They are a very joyful order. I join their apostolates every Saturday that's why I know a little (remember I am guy!). They stick to the Catholic church, and their presence in my archdiocese brought alot of positive changes. The youth are being evangelized, catechized and instructed. They are very available to people's spiritual needs.

[quote name='tnavarro61' timestamp='1295839566' post='2203662']
I will give you alot of good things regarding the Servants of the Lord (I call them Sisters of Matara)

They are very active yet their prayer life is very deep. They are a very joyful order. I join their apostolates every Saturday that's why I know a little (remember I am guy!). They stick to the Catholic church, and their presence in my archdiocese brought alot of positive changes. The youth are being evangelized, catechized and instructed. They are very available to people's spiritual needs.
[/quote]

Thank you tnavarro61, for your response.

Do you know any of the sisters personally? It seems they are a sound orthodox community. I heard some concern about Father Buela? Also, I wonder, do they get along well with one another as well with others outside of the community? Following the Magisterium and loving the Holy Father, the Habit...are crucial but to me, loving one's neighbor is also crucial. As our dear John of the Cross says, "In the evening of life, we shall be judged on love."

TeresaBenedicta

God-willing, I will be entering with these sisters very soon.

These Sisters are very, very joyful! There are no sour-faced saints in this Order! And their joy is very contagious! I'm not sure ANYONE could interact with them without catching their joy! And they definitely know how to have fun. Recreation with them is a blast! They sing, play games, sports, and just generally know how to have a good time.

They pray hard, too. Everyday includes Mass, holy hour, liturgy of the hours, the Angelus, and the rosary. Their liturgy is always beautifully done.

There's a lot I could say about them- what would you like to know? I can try and answer what I can.

Regarding Father Buela, I have heard alot of "negative" things about him but they are baseless.. I mean, they would give this or that but they have no evidences. Basing on the blogs I have read against Father Buela, one thing I can say, they cannot come up with any evidences.

I have met Father Buela by the way, and he is very fatherly. :like:

Regarding the Sisters.. no, they aren't clouded in secrecy or rude or unfriendly against their neighbors. If they are, then I should not have been joining the apostolates of the Sisters of Matara (and of course with the IVEs too ...remember i am not joining the Sisters of Matara, i am a he!). Then I should not have been laughing with these beautiful sisters. They are very joyful, I tell you, and very holy and intelligent too. They know our faith very well. They are not cultic nor strange. You will love them for sure. They relate well with their neighbors.

My advice: come and see!

Edited by tnavarro61

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='tnavarro61' timestamp='1295863255' post='2203726']
Regarding Father Buela, I have heard alot of "negative" things about him but they are baseless.. I mean, they would give this or that but they have no evidences. Basing on the blogs I have read against Father Buela, one thing I can say, they cannot come up with any evidences.

Regarding the Sisters.. no, they aren't clouded in secrecy or rude or unfriendly against their neighbors. If they are, then I should not have been joining the apostolates of the Sisters of Matara (and of course with the IVEs too ...remember i am not joining the Sisters of Matara, i am a he!). Then I should not have been laughing with these beautiful sisters. They are very joyful, I tell you, and very holy and intelligent too. They know our faith very well. They are not cultic nor strange. You will love them for sure. They relate well with their neighbors.

[/quote]

This is true. I remember reading some negatives about Fr. Buela as well... enough to make me raise my eyebrows, but lacking enough evidence for me to really make issue of it in my discernment. And, as I read further, I noted that much of the problems being raised were all related to... [i]problems[/i]... with some of the Argentinian bishops, whose dioceses' and seminaries were not very orthodox. Thus they've been losing seminarians to the IVEs (brother order to the sisters). There have also been complaints about the philosophy of vocation... the IVEs and SSVMs are both very open to young vocations and generally of the mindset of "Come and See". If you think you have a vocation, give God the first chance. That kind of thing.

And I'll also affirm what Jairus says about the sisters. I've visited numerous times now, and probably know the majority of the sisters here in the USA. I'm quite good friends with a small number of them as well. The sisters are [i]very[/i] open and hospitable to their neighbors and guests. I guarantee-- if someone needed a place to stay, they would be the first to open their doors. They're currently doing that in Guyana... When it comes to interaction with their neighbors... well, it all comes down to their charism. It's to evangelize the culture. And for them, that means knowing the culture and thus knowing their friends and neighbors and people they serve.

Regarding secrecy- are there certain things that they don't tell the outside world? I'm sure there are. But that's the truth with most families. I know it is with my family here at home. They also experience growing pains-- they are a new community that must be stretched according to the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. That's okay, too.

I've stayed a few times with them for a multiple-day visit and I've never caught onto anything crazy or worrisome. And I also didn't sense that they were doing anything differently because they had a guest with them. There was no sense of--- "Oh we need to act in our facade mode because we have a visitor." Which, if you think about it, would be quite silly. If someone entered with them after having spent said time with them, and realized how different they were from their visit, major red flags would be raised.

[quote name='tnavarro61' timestamp='1295863255' post='2203726']

[/quote]

Thank you for your input. That is what I find too on Father Buela, basicly talk without grounds of support. I was just a bit taken aback when I read that he resigned.

That is good to hear that the Sisters live what they preach, that their is a connection between their heart and their head. They surely are getting vocations and serving the needs of the Church today, evangelizing the culture of death. So, the Holy Spirit must be working in and through them. Praise God!

Are you going to be joining the men?

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1295881100' post='2203776']
This is true. I remember reading some negatives about Fr. Buela as well... enough to make me raise my eyebrows, but lacking enough evidence for me to really make issue of it in my discernment. And, as I read further, I noted that much of the problems being raised were all related to... [i]problems[/i]... with some of the Argentinian bishops, whose dioceses' and seminaries were not very orthodox. Thus they've been losing seminarians to the IVEs (brother order to the sisters). There have also been complaints about the philosophy of vocation... the IVEs and SSVMs are both very open to young vocations and generally of the mindset of "Come and See". If you think you have a vocation, give God the first chance. That kind of thing.

And I'll also affirm what Jairus says about the sisters. I've visited numerous times now, and probably know the majority of the sisters here in the USA. I'm quite good friends with a small number of them as well. The sisters are [i]very[/i] open and hospitable to their neighbors and guests. I guarantee-- if someone needed a place to stay, they would be the first to open their doors. They're currently doing that in Guyana... When it comes to interaction with their neighbors... well, it all comes down to their charism. It's to evangelize the culture. And for them, that means knowing the culture and thus knowing their friends and neighbors and people they serve.

Regarding secrecy- are there certain things that they don't tell the outside world? I'm sure there are. But that's the truth with most families. I know it is with my family here at home. They also experience growing pains-- they are a new community that must be stretched according to the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. That's okay, too.

I've stayed a few times with them for a multiple-day visit and I've never caught onto anything crazy or worrisome. And I also didn't sense that they were doing anything differently because they had a guest with them. There was no sense of--- "Oh we need to act in our facade mode because we have a visitor." Which, if you think about it, would be quite silly. If someone entered with them after having spent said time with them, and realized how different they were from their visit, major red flags would be raised.
[/quote]

Thank you Teresa Benedicta,

I never actually mentioned anything about secrecy, someone else added that in a response they gave to my initial inquiry. And yes, it is surely silly to put on a "front" in the getting to know process. However, I must say that I did have an experience of entering a community and once I was "inside" in the enclosure, people behaved very differently from what I experienced from the "outside". There was an incredible meanness and immaturity in relationships within the community. Now with the Sisters of Matara, I do not think that would be the case simply because of the large volume of constant visitors they seem to have. It seems they are who they are, for the greater glory of God, which is awesome. I was mostly concerned how they interact with one another, the neighbor being one's fellow sister.

That is great that you plan to join them. Praised be Jesus Christ! I do have other questions and will get back to you later with more. Thank you for offering to answer them!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='Santa Cruz' timestamp='1295886099' post='2203803']

Are you going to be joining the men?
[/quote]

If God wills, why not? Their monastic branch is what I am looking for. They are like Carthusians, Franciscans, Carmelites and all monastic orders I know and admire rolled into one!

[quote name='tnavarro61' timestamp='1295910609' post='2203961']
If God wills, why not? Their monastic branch is what I am looking for. They are like Carthusians, Franciscans, Carmelites and all monastic orders I know and admire rolled into one!
[/quote]

That is beautiful!

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1295845092' post='2203701']
God-willing, I will be entering with these sisters very soon.

These Sisters are very, very joyful! There are no sour-faced saints in this Order! And their joy is very contagious! I'm not sure ANYONE could interact with them without catching their joy! And they definitely know how to have fun. Recreation with them is a blast! They sing, play games, sports, and just generally know how to have a good time.

They pray hard, too. Everyday includes Mass, holy hour, liturgy of the hours, the Angelus, and the rosary. Their liturgy is always beautifully done.

There's a lot I could say about them- what would you like to know? I can try and answer what I can.
[/quote]

Thank you for this opportunity!

I understand their "active" branch is missionary. If a person enters in the US, could she be sent anywhere or just within the US province or?

Who do the Sisters have as a Spiritual Director and Confessor?

Does the holy hour include the liturgy of the hours, rosary etc. Or, is it one hour of Adoration or?

It seems after formation the Sisters live in groups of 4 or so within a household?

How do they look upon persons who are not Catholic?

Again thank you. I think that is enough. I don't want to take advantage of your kindness.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Santa Cruz' timestamp='1295911374' post='2203973']
Thank you for this opportunity!

I understand their "active" branch is missionary. If a person enters in the US, could she be sent anywhere or just within the US province or?[/quote]

No problem!

My understanding is that entering in a certain province does not guarantee that you are missioned within that same province. So, one may enter in the US, but be sent on mission to anywhere in the world. However, seeing as their charism is to "evangelize the culture," they do like to keep Americans in the US, since they know the culture already. But a sister is given the opportunity to offer herself for a particular mission-- whether it be an already established mission within her province, an established mission outside of her province, or even some place that there is not yet an established mission. Where she ultimately goes is a decision that takes into consideration her gifts/talents, the needs of the province, and the individual discernment of the sister.

[quote]Who do the Sisters have as a Spiritual Director and Confessor?[/quote]

Usually the IVE priests serve as spiritual directors for the sisters. In very unusual circumstances, a priest outside of the institute can serve as a spiritual director, but that's fairly rare, from what I understand. During formation, the chaplain comes once a week to the house to celebrate Mass and hear confessions.

[quote]Does the holy hour include the liturgy of the hours, rosary etc. Or, is it one hour of Adoration or?[/quote]

There is one full hour of silent adoration that is separate from the rest of the prayer of the sisters, although the liturgy of the hours (either morning or evening prayer, depending on when the holy hour is) is prayed before the Blessed Sacrament, still exposed. So the Blessed Sacrament is exposed for approximately an hour and fifteen/twenty minutes (or thirty on Sundays/Major Feasts when the office is chanted). One full hour of silent adoration + LOTH. The rosary is generally said outside of that time- during the middle of the day or fitted into the schedule.

[quote]It seems after formation the Sisters live in groups of 4 or so within a household?[/quote]

Yeah, that's about right. Some houses might have a few more, and I think there is one mission in the US Province that only has two sisters currently. But the average is four.

[quote]How do they look upon persons who are not Catholic?[/quote]

As far as I can tell, quite fondly! One of the apostolates is to run houses of mercy for the disabled and for orphans-- and I'm pretty sure that it is not a requirement that one be Catholic to be accepted into such an apostolate. The sisters really truly love all those they serve. Again, with a charism of evangelizing the culture, in order for them to properly live such a charism, they [i]must[/i] love others, both Catholic and non-Catholic.

But there's definitely no sense of looking down upon those who aren't Catholic or anything to the sort. There is only that love for the other and the desire to bring the other to the fullness of Truth.

[quote]
Again thank you. I think that is enough. I don't want to take advantage of your kindness.
[/quote]

No problem whatsoever!! I love my sisters and I love talking about them, so please feel free to ask as many questions as you'd like!!

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1295917656' post='2204018']
No problem!

My understanding is that entering in a certain province does not guarantee that you are missioned within that same province. So, one may enter in the US, but be sent on mission to anywhere in the world. However, seeing as their charism is to "evangelize the culture," they do like to keep Americans in the US, since they know the culture already. But a sister is given the opportunity to offer herself for a particular mission-- whether it be an already established mission within her province, an established mission outside of her province, or even some place that there is not yet an established mission. Where she ultimately goes is a decision that takes into consideration her gifts/talents, the needs of the province, and the individual discernment of the sister.

Usually the IVE priests serve as spiritual directors for the sisters. In very unusual circumstances, a priest outside of the institute can serve as a spiritual director, but that's fairly rare, from what I understand. During formation, the chaplain comes once a week to the house to celebrate Mass and hear confessions.

There is one full hour of silent adoration that is separate from the rest of the prayer of the sisters, although the liturgy of the hours (either morning or evening prayer, depending on when the holy hour is) is prayed before the Blessed Sacrament, still exposed. So the Blessed Sacrament is exposed for approximately an hour and fifteen/twenty minutes (or thirty on Sundays/Major Feasts when the office is chanted). One full hour of silent adoration + LOTH. The rosary is generally said outside of that time- during the middle of the day or fitted into the schedule.

Yeah, that's about right. Some houses might have a few more, and I think there is one mission in the US Province that only has two sisters currently. But the average is four.

As far as I can tell, quite fondly! One of the apostolates is to run houses of mercy for the disabled and for orphans-- and I'm pretty sure that it is not a requirement that one be Catholic to be accepted into such an apostolate. The sisters really truly love all those they serve. Again, with a charism of evangelizing the culture, in order for them to properly live such a charism, they [i]must[/i] love others, both Catholic and non-Catholic.

But there's definitely no sense of looking down upon those who aren't Catholic or anything to the sort. There is only that love for the other and the desire to bring the other to the fullness of Truth.

No problem whatsoever!! I love my sisters and I love talking about them, so please feel free to ask as many questions as you'd like!!
[/quote]

Wow! Thank you Teresa Benedicta. It is so good to read all this. What a blessing this community is to the Church, a breath of fresh air. Thank you for taking the time to share this and for endorsing such a stellar community. I look forward to getting to know them.

[quote name='tnavarro61' timestamp='1295957950' post='2204133']
SantaCruz, come and see!
[/quote]

Thank you Tnavarro61,

I will :)