An Old School Catholic Message Board

Communion In Hand Or On Tounge: Is There Any Debate?

Guest TRex

[b]Communion in the Hand[/b]

[b]Rethinking Communion in the Hand[/b]

[b]By Jude A Huntz[/b]

[b]HOMELITIC & PASTORAL REVIEW March 1997[/b]
[size="3"]http://www.catholic-pages.com/mass/inhand.asp[/size]

What is your preferred method?

Recently I switched to receiving on the tongue. It decreases the possibility of dropping the host. Plus, if you receive on the tongue, crumbs won't be left in your hand, meaning that bits of the consecrated host won't end up on your clothes or the floor. Plus I think receiving on the tongue is more reverent.

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1298608321' post='2215429']
I don't think I have the strength for another debate on this topic. Just everyone keep it civil.
[/quote]

Yes, Mom !! :clapping:

ed

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='AudreyGrace' timestamp='1298606648' post='2215419']
Recently I switched to receiving on the tongue. It decreases the possibility of dropping the host. Plus, if you receive on the tongue, crumbs won't be left in your hand, meaning that bits of the consecrated host won't end up on your clothes or the floor. Plus I think receiving on the tongue is more reverent.
[/quote]

What became of the 12 baskets of bread left after the miracle of the feeding of the 5 thousand? And the 7 baskets after the feeding of the 4 thousand?

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' timestamp='1298629813' post='2215458']
What became of the 12 baskets of bread left after the miracle of the feeding of the 5 thousand? And the 7 baskets after the feeding of the 4 thousand?
[/quote]
I don't think a real comparison can be made. While those miracles foreshadow the Eucharist, they were not the Eucharist, so crumbs being left over didn't really matter, I wouldn't think.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1298608321' post='2215429']
I don't think I have the strength for another debate on this topic. Just everyone keep it civil.
[/quote]
This. This.... a thousand times, this!

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Archaeology cat' timestamp='1298631701' post='2215460']
I don't think a real comparison can be made. While those miracles foreshadow the Eucharist, they were not the Eucharist, so crumbs being left over didn't really matter, I wouldn't think.
[/quote]

I just find it interesting to think about. Where did they get the baskets, since they had nothing to begin with? Why would they even bother to collect it, were they being kind to the environment? Why even mention leftovers? No doubt it was for the purpose of stressing how much was made from so little. There were [i]equivalent (maybe) to[/i] 12 or 7 baskets left over, therefore the amount in total was enormous.
Within seconds of the priest opening the wine, the aroma can be smelt quite strongly metres away. An animal with an acute olfactory organ would no doubt be able to smell the host. So there is always some waste no matter how it is done. When I first became an EMHC I was worried about spilling the blood. Thankfully it has never happened to me, but the priest said it has happened and not to be too anxious about it. On an occasion not long ago a host was dropped on the floor the altar boy/girl was going to pick it up and put it back, but I knew what to do having seen a priest pick one up and consume it. So I did likewise and made the sign of the cross. The feeling I had for the next minute was indescribably arwsome. Did I get this because I had saved Jesus? Hardly! It was because of my faith and love of him. Can you quantise a miracle? Can Jesus miracle be diminished in any way? The bread and wine after all are the accidents. Food for thought!

[quote name='AudreyGrace' timestamp='1298606648' post='2215419']
Recently I switched to receiving on the tongue. It decreases the possibility of dropping the host.
[/quote]
Actually I think it increases the possibility. Have you ever had to give it to someone? I often have and I'm terrified lest I drop it and then I will possibly need to consume it.

Edited by Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' timestamp='1298670327' post='2215631']
Actually I think it increases the possibility. Have you ever had to give it to someone? I often have and I'm terrified lest I drop it and then I will possibly need to consume it.
[/quote]

There should be a paten.

That's all I'm going to contribute to this thread... please :bash: me if I go against this intention.

I personally prefer on the tongue while kneeling, it's how I have received for the past seven years. With the Latin Mass Community and the Anglican Use Community it is normative to receive this way too, since I don't attend anywhere else frequently, its rare for me to see otherwise.

However, the Church is free to administer the Sacraments as she pleases, if the Church pleases that communion in the hand be used as Catholics that's how it is. As the Creed of Pius IV proposes, an authoritative creed of the Church: "[i]I also receive and admit the received and approved ceremonies of the Catholic Church in the solemn administration of the aforesaid sacraments.[/i]"

Edited by Mr.CatholicCat

Tonight my youth group was in the Church, and an adult walked up to another kid in the pew because she saw him playing with something. Thinking it was a cell phone, she approached him to take it away. But, it wasn't a cell phone- it was a host. She asked him to hand it over, and at first he refused. She asked where he found it (he didn't attend Mass this evening) and he said it was wedged inside a misselette. Finally, the adult took the host from the teen and consumed our Lord. We'll be telling our Pastor what happened, just so he knows. I think this is a prime example of why receiving on the tongue should be preferred, in my opinion.

[quote name='AudreyGrace' timestamp='1298776427' post='2215986']
Tonight my youth group was in the Church, and an adult walked up to another kid in the pew because she saw him playing with something. Thinking it was a cell phone, she approached him to take it away. But, it wasn't a cell phone- it was a host. She asked him to hand it over, and at first he refused. She asked where he found it (he didn't attend Mass this evening) and he said it was wedged inside a misselette. Finally, the adult took the host from the teen and consumed our Lord. We'll be telling our Pastor what happened, just so he knows. I think this is a prime example of why receiving on the tongue should be preferred, in my opinion.
[/quote]

100% agree. this should never happen

[quote name='AudreyGrace' timestamp='1298776427' post='2215986']
[/quote]

My mother has found a bunch of hosts in various places at our parish like this too .. :( many times in the slot where the hymnals are, once in a hymnal, the last time .. shoved behind the church door, and He looked like He was there for a while .. yes, this is why I am very much in favor of receiving Our Lord on the tongue too. Also, you don't have to worry about any particles that may fall on your hand. A great video on this .. (and no, this guy is not an extreme Traditionalist or anything like that .. his videos are great!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiUqDa_Gzj0

also this is inspiring .. he wrote, [url="http://www.amazon.com/Dominus-Reflections-Bishop-Central-Communion/dp/0977884619"][i]Dominus Est[/i][/url]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jii6NCfTW68

Edited by Chiquitunga