An Old School Catholic Message Board

Communion In Hand Or On Tounge: Is There Any Debate?

Guest TRex

Basilisa Marie

The reason why I keep harping on this is because more often than not I see people talking about the wonders of receiving on the tongue, so much so that it makes it seem like that's the only way the Church finds acceptable, OR that by not receiving on the tongue you're a bad Catholic.   

I don't know what kind of bread you guys are using, but with regular hosts there aren't any crumbs to get everywhere when you receive communion.  And I don't think it's fair to pin any lack of respect for the Eucharist on receiving in the hand.  Poor catechesis is a more likely and more widespread culprit. 

The reason why I keep harping on this is because more often than not I see people talking about the wonders of receiving on the tongue, so much so that it makes it seem like that's the only way the Church finds acceptable, OR that by not receiving on the tongue you're a bad Catholic.   

You're not a bad catholic for not receiving on the tongue, unless you do it without the appropriate respect of course. But I think it's completely wrong to display handcommunion and tonguecommunion as equals. They are both allowed, that's true. But handcommunion is still an exception, although it became more widespread than communion on the tongue. Paul VI says it all in Memoriale Domini (1969, the year handcommunion got "allowed"). He also says that we must be careful not to drop any fragments of the Body.

I don't know what kind of bread you guys are using, but with regular hosts there aren't any crumbs to get everywhere when you receive communion.  And I don't think it's fair to pin any lack of respect for the Eucharist on receiving in the hand.  Poor catechesis is a more likely and more widespread culprit. 

The catechesis part, yes!! But I beg to differ on the crumbs part. Even regular hosts lose little fragments. In the extraordinary form, the big host lays on the corporal, not on the paten. Before drinking the Blood, the priest cleans the corporal by scraping it with the paten. A priest said to me once it's astonishing how many fragments are on the paten after scraping the corporal. And that host just lays there. In the rare case I have to be an EMHC, I make sure I only touch the hosts with 2 fingers. Afterwards, there are always little fragments left. That's why EHMC's have to clean their hands/fingers after giving communion (above the chalice or in an ablution cup). So yes, there most likely will be crumbs on your fingers and on your hand. With that in mind, receiving on the tongue is just more safe.

ToJesusMyHeart
You're not a bad catholic for not receiving on the tongue, unless you do it without the appropriate respect of course. But I think it's completely wrong to display hand communion and tongue communion as equals. They are both allowed, that's true. But hand communion is still an exception, although it became more widespread than communion on the tongue. Paul VI says it all in Memoriale Domini (1969, the year handc ommunion got "allowed"). He also says that we must be careful not to drop any fragments of the Body.

The catechesis part, yes!! But I beg to differ on the crumbs part. Even regular hosts lose little fragments. In the extraordinary form, the big host lays on the corporal, not on the paten. Before drinking the Blood, the priest cleans the corporal by scraping it with the paten. A priest said to me once it's astonishing how many fragments are on the paten after scraping the corporal. And that host just lays there. In the rare case I have to be an EMHC, I make sure I only touch the hosts with 2 fingers. Afterwards, there are always little fragments left. That's why EHMC's have to clean their hands/fingers after giving communion (above the chalice or in an ablution cup). So yes, there most likely will be crumbs on your fingers and on your hand. With that in mind, receiving on the tongue is just more safe.

Agreed with NonNovi. They are not equal. Receiving Jesus in the hands is the EXCEPTION. Receiving Him on the tongue, kneeling, is the universal rule, and the one which Pope Benedict prefers. Again, I wonder, why would the faithful not want to follow the preferences of our Holy Father?

If you doubt or want to brush away the crumb reality, maybe you should watch the videos that show how easily crumbs fall off. There is observable data for the fact that so many fragments fall.

Jesus (no matter how tiny a fragment) should never fall on the ground when it is so easily preventable if one receives on the tongue. 

Edited by ToJesusMyHeart

I have received in the hand perhaps... four or five times in the last two years, and I make a point to check for any particles. I always find at least one somewhere in my palm.

Communion in the hand is not possible in the Eastern Churches, because communion is received by intinction.

^^^ Yep! With a spoon. If the Western Churches adopted this practice, perhaps there would be less incidents of abuse? Of course, communion on the tongue also would help solve the problem.

And yes, I happen to be against communion in the hand.

Fidei Defensor

The important thing to remember in this whole "debate" is that only God knows the intention and faith of the one receiving, regardless of the way they do it. I'm sure there are insincere people receiving via tongue, and others who are highly devout receiving in the hand.

That being said, I prefer receiving on the tongue. But until the Church gives a firm "no" for receiving in the hand, those who do are not less than those who don't.

I think if we collectively take the time and energy we've spent debating this topic, and went to a friend, neighbor, co-worker, or family member and got them actually to the Church and to a real relationship with Jesus Christ in the Blessed Sacrament, I believe our time and energies would have been better spent. (marginal gains and all)

In the end, perhaps it is wiser to be charitable where Mother Church is charitable; and expend those energies to bringing one person to a new relationship with Christ in the Eucharist.

To that end, if you could pray for my wife to this end which I have stated, I would be endebted.

thanks

wooot wooot ! :woot: :woot:

I think if we collectively take the time and energy we've spent debating this topic, and went to a friend, neighbor, co-worker, or family member and got them actually to the Church and to a real relationship with Jesus Christ in the Blessed Sacrament, I believe our time and energies would have been better spent. (marginal gains and all)

In the end, perhaps it is wiser to be charitable where Mother Church is charitable; and expend those energies to bringing one person to a new relationship with Christ in the Eucharist.

To that end, if you could pray for my wife to this end which I have stated, I would be endebted.

thanks

i heart you, and i will pray. :)

KnightofChrist

That has not been the case in this thread, before or after it's resurrection. Pro-communion on the people have been respectful and have given very sound, legitimate and compelling reasons for following the universal norm of receiving our Blessed Lord.
tognue
I don't know what kind of bread you guys are using, but with regular hosts there aren't any crumbs to get everywhere when you receive communion.

I've know many who use to believe the same, but no longer do. They now receive on the tongue or lick or pick up the tiny crumbs from off their hands with their tongues before lowering their hands to their sides.
What changed their minds was an experiment. Which I challenge and encourage you and all others would receive in the hand (without checking for tiny crumbs). For two months check your hand after consuming the Host for crumbs before you place your hand to your side. It will be only a matter of time before you find them. They can be very hard to see but if you look you will find them.

I don't think it's fair to pin any lack of respect for the Eucharist on receiving in the hand. Poor catechesis is a more likely and more widespread culprit.

Again no here has done such a thing in this thread.

KnightofChrist
To that end, if you could pray for my wife to this end which I have stated, I would be endebted.

thanks

Praying for her.

The norm is always preferable to the indult although the indult is permissable...

As for "holier"... one is not objectively exposed to more graces receiving on the tongue or on the hand.

MissScripture

FYI: There are crumbs even if you receive on the tongue. The only way to prevent crumbs from falling is by use of a paten. So, if your argument for on the tongue is crumbs and you aren't receiving with a paten under your chin, please find a new argument.

Also, props to MIKolbe's post.