An Old School Catholic Message Board

Communion In Hand Or On Tounge: Is There Any Debate?

Guest TRex

And patens have ALWAYS been used, ESPECIALLY when one is receiving in the hand.  Maybe I'm just lucky, but I'd guess that my experience is typical of someone who regularly attends Novus Ordo.  

That is not a typical Novus Ordo experience.

Franciscan University doesn't even use patens (at least not as of spring 2009) when distributing communion at a Novus Ordo.

My Eastern Orthodox friends are always shocked by the practice of communion on the hand in the Roman Church, and by what they describe as the rather cavalier attitude shown to the Blessed Sacrament in general in Latin parishes.  To be honest, the modern liturgical praxis of the Roman Church is one of the biggest obstacles - although not the only one - to ecumenical progress with the Eastern Orthodox Churches.  I have become quite pessimistic about the future of dialogue between the Roman Church and the Orthodox Churches.  In fact, it is more likely that Rome will re-enter communion with the Protestant sects than re-establish communion with the Orthodox.

It is possible, at 8 minutes 45 seconds into the video below, to see the manner of reception of communion in the Orthodox Church:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YCFZnYQYZw&t=8m45s

Edited by Apotheoun

That is not a typical Novus Ordo experience.

Franciscan University doesn't even use patens (at least not as of spring 2009) when distributing communion at a Novus Ordo.

They still don't.  Which is part of the reason I go to St. Pete's as often as possible.  

I should clarify.  I go to St. Pete's because I think that they have a more reverent approach to the liturgy.  

Edited by Amppax

I believe St. Peter's parish in Steubenville, OH is the only parish I have attended that used patens for distribution of communion at a Novus Ordo. I've been to a fair number of parishes.

The disuse of patens is a problem for both reception on the hand and on the tongue, and it makes me very sad. The use of patens is not only practical for catching particles or hosts that slip, but it is also a great sign of the reverence we ought to have for the Eucharist.