An Old School Catholic Message Board

Real Catholic Tv's Statement

Lil Red

[quote name='Maggie' timestamp='1326343040' post='2367425']
Arrr, I don't think I'm cherry-picking. This is someone who has a personal alternative magisterium that is more ideological than theological. Example, his ranting about parishes that celebrate Earth Day. The pope talks regularly about sustainable development and the squandering of resources and the Vatican is officially a carbon-neutral state. He talks about how it is a moral imperative to reduce our energy use, to live a lifestyle that is not so consumptive. He has spoken about this at World Youth day, in his Urbi et Orbi, and so on. He is not the first pope to do so, either. You don't have to agree with the theory of climate change to acknowledge the need for things to change in this area. It's definitely mainstream Catholic thought.
[/quote]

Again, not the best example. Earth Day was I believe Easter Sunday. So really, they shouldn't be preaching about Earth Day. They should be preaching about the resurrection of Christ.

Now his actual statements about the environmental movement? That's a different matter. But he was specifically addressing a letter sent to Catholic churches (and Christian churches) to preach about Earth Day on Easter Sunday.

dominicansoul

The Church cracks down on heretics, perhaps we don't always know it or it isn't as public...

I've read in several different places that it is the liberals that want Voris' head on a platter. I don't think that is true. It seems that Voris may be stepping out of bounds and taking a stand against the authority of the Church just because they aren't as radically trad as he is. There is a danger with liberals and radical trads in the Church. Neither one possesses the fullness of Truth. Both cause confusion amongst the Faithful...

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1326377316' post='2367558']
I believe that the Vatican excommunicates any bishop "ordaining" women, and those women who participate in such "ordinations."

I found this on one of those "women-priests" websites:

[b][i]Response Regarding Excommunication Decree[/i][/b]
[i][b]Roman Catholic Womenpriests reject the penalty of excommunication issued by the Vatican Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith on May 29, 2008 stating that the “women priests and the bishops who ordain them would be excommunicated latae sententiae.” Roman Catholic Womenpriests are loyal members of the church who stand in the prophetic tradition of holy obedience to the Spirit’s call to change an unjust law that discriminates against women. Our movement is receiving enthusiastic responses on the local, national and international level. We will continue to serve our beloved church in a renewed priestly ministry that welcomes all to celebrate the sacraments in inclusive, Christ-centered, Spirit-empowered communities wherever we are called[/b]. [/i]
[/quote]

:hippie:

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1326374850' post='2367550']
Wow, that is crazy. Yes, there are some wacko bishops out there who would allow that, but the whole Voris situation (on both ends) bothers me royally.
[/quote]

The fact that fridge groups with Catholic in their name are doing what they are doing and not paying heed to their bishop's directive does not mean the bishop is allowing them to do so. He is not a military leader with armed militia as many people would like.

[quote name='Maggie' timestamp='1326336509' post='2367332']
I have to say my favorite part of the article was the graph that stated his site "has become relatively well known in the pro-life and pro-family world due to Voris’ straight-talking defense of the right to life and sanctity of the family." I didn't know that advocating for the abolition of democracy fell under the category of pro-life or pro-family! Wow I learn something new every day.

I'm sure everyone can understand why a guy who puts out a video advocating dictatorship as the best form of government, and who headlines it RealCatholic TV, would draw some negative attention from his bishop.
[/quote]

is this where he advocated for a catholic monarchy? cause i don't see anything wrong with a catholic monarchy with the pope in charge and everyone in the world following church teaching.

As more intelligent people than I have said, find a diocese that will let you operate the way you have. MithLuin brought up the non-profit name change frustrations that I had never thought about personally, and I think it was a great point.

I openly admit I have a disdain for Voris that is at odds with the Christian charity I should show him. He's loud. He proclaims his own agenda, often at the expense of the Bishops he claims to serve. His entire video there was a magnificent piece of propaganda that boasted the message of "If you're not with me, you're not a Real Catholic". Also, any dissenting comments or questions of his positions that one would post to his videos "mysteriously" disappear, or at least that has been my personal experience (Edit: That is, before he disabled commenting on his videos).

That he has different canon lawyers disagreeing is only a microcosm of the division this man and his "ministry" cause in the Church. I admit, every time I consider the debates that arise from his public disagreement and disobedience with the Bishops, I think of the Gospels of Luke and Matthew, and what our Lord says about causing people to fall into sin.

Edited by BG45

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1326381983' post='2367616']
As more intelligent people than I have said, find a diocese that will let you operate the way you have. MithLuin brought up the non-profit name change frustrations that I had never thought about personally, and I think it was a great point.

I openly admit I have a disdain for Voris that is at odds with the Christian charity I should show him. He's loud. He proclaims his own agenda, often at the expense of the Bishops he claims to serve. His entire video there was a magnificent piece of propaganda that boasted the message of "If you're not with me, you're not a Real Catholic". Also, any dissenting comments or questions of his positions that one would post to his videos "mysteriously" disappear, or at least that has been my personal experience (Edit: That is, before he disabled commenting on his videos).

That he has different canon lawyers disagreeing is only a microcosm of the division this man and his "ministry" cause in the Church. I admit, every time I consider the debates that arise from his public disagreement and disobedience with the Bishops, I think of the Gospels of Luke and Matthew, and what our Lord says about causing people to fall into sin.
[/quote]
You pwn Voris in my book. I'd take your rambling thread over RealCatholicTV any day.

Isn't the name of his non-profit "St Michael Media"? If so, he wouldn't have to change the name of his organization. Really, all he'd have to do is change his YouTube handle. "StMichaelTV" or "RealSaintTV" or any number of catchy names without Catholic in it. If your message is being a "real" Catholic, being disobedient to your bishop is just plain stupid.

...and if he is being stupid about this, then it only makes me doubt everything else he's said that I thought I agreed with. Stupid doesn't come and go--either you're stupid or you're not.

Seriously??? This is over a refusal to change his username on YouTube?????

That just....I thought it was at least something more legally annoying to change. If he's refusing to obey a simple request from the bishop that would literally take no more than a day and a little effort to comply....

Wow. Just....wow.

That boggles the mind.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1326393153' post='2367721']
Pride :idontknow:
[/quote]
Yes, that is what it is.

I am very sad about this because I quite enjoyed his shows, but this proves that their is a major pride issue. Is the bishop doing the right thing? Probably not, but I don't know exactly why he chose to do this so I am not one to judge. But does that mean that you have to give a 0 humility statement that is condescending on not only the the diocese (which is completely unacceptable for Voris to do) and as well as the people who watched his channel hoping that he would show obedience to the Church official whether or not the bishop is right. It makes me very, very upset.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1326386726' post='2367655']
...and if he is being stupid about this, then it only makes me doubt everything else he's said that I thought I agreed with. Stupid doesn't come and go--either you're stupid or you're not.
[/quote]
Very true, I know where I stand on the issues that Voris has addressed in "The Vortex" and I did not choose to agree because he said it, I chose to agree because many of the things were correct and were what the Church teaches. Thank goodness I did not get caught up in a cult of personality, because I can't believe the lack of obedience in this situation.

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1326393716' post='2367726']
Yes, that is what it is.

I am very sad about this because I quite enjoyed his shows, but this proves that their is a major pride issue. Is the bishop doing the right thing? Probably not, but I don't know exactly why he chose to do this so I am not one to judge. But does that mean that you have to give a 0 humility statement that is condescending on not only the the diocese (which is completely unacceptable for Voris to do) and as well as the people who watched his channel hoping that he would show obedience to the Church official whether or not the bishop is right. It makes me very, very upset.
[/quote]

It might have to do with the how, not what, Voris reports his stories. I used to think they were informative, but after a short while, I got fed up with his smug and condescending attitude. He removes comments that do not support him.
I seriously doubt the full truth is known to us in the public. So, I would hesitate to say the bishop should not be asking for the name change.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1326394241' post='2367730']
It might have to do with the how, not what, Voris reports his stories. I used to think they were informative, but after a short while, I got fed up with his smug and condescending attitude. He removes comments that do not support him.
I seriously doubt the full truth is known to us in the public. So, I would hesitate to say the bishop should not be asking for the name change.
[/quote]
I agree, I stopped watching them because it would over-whelm me and I simply did not have the time.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1326333376' post='2367292']
The LifeSite article is interesting.

[url="http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/archdiocesan-canon-lawyers-differ-on-asking-realcatholictvcom-to-drop-cath"]http://www.lifesiten...om-to-drop-cath[/url]
[/quote]

From the article...

[quote][color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]When asked by LifeSiteNews what concerns the Detroit Archdiocese had about Voris and RealCatholicTV.com, Detroit Archdiocesan Director of Communications McGrath would not specify any concern other than the use of the word ‘Catholic’.[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]Asked if the archdiocese has asked any other group or individual in the archdiocese not to use the name Catholic, McGrath said he couldn’t remember any other cases during his 20 years with the diocese. “I don’t know. I’ve been here 20 years I can’t say that we’ve never done that in the history of the Archdiocese,” he said.Pressed on the point, he said, “I wouldn’t want to say that definitively. But not any that I can recall recently, no.”[/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]Fans of RealCatholicTV have noted that there are entities in the archdiocese, such as the Jesuit University of Detroit Mercy (UDM), [/font][/color][url="http://www.udmercy.edu/mission/index.htm"]which bills itself [/url][color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]as “a Catholic university,” that regularly violate Catholic teaching but have been permitted to retain their “Catholic” designation without interference from the diocese. UDM has [/font][/color][url="http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/archive/ldn/1970/22/7022104"]proposed[/url][color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif] abortion agencies as career opportunities for students; had links to pro-abortion groups on its website;[/font][/color][url="http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/archive/ldn/2010/apr/10041502"] retained [/url][color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]a renowned pro-abortion, pro-same-sex “marriage” nun on its Board of Trustees; [/font][/color][url="http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/archive/ldn/2007/feb/07022808"]held[/url][color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif] an annual event called ‘sexapalooza’ with activities such as ‘safe sex games’, sex-tac-toe; and [/font][/color][url="http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/archive/ldn/2007/feb/07021501"]has professors[/url][color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif] that put stickers on their office doors indicating their support for abortion.[/font][/color][/quote]

So it appears the Law is not being applied fairly. Liberals groups that actually reject or challenge Catholic Doctrine are not publicly or privately asked by [color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]the Detroit Archdiocese[/font][/color] to remove the name "Catholic" but only one conservative/traditional Catholic. Sad. Another case where conservative/traditional Catholics are held to a higher yet double standard.

As for whether or not RealCatholicTV and it's members are disobedient or other personal judgement calls on their character being freely made here is for me a matter for the Ecclesiastical Courts and Canon Lawyers. There seems to be confusion on which Bishop has authority. I would like to see an actual statement by the Bishop, not just the spokesman, on a clear understanding of why the law is only being applied to RCTV and no other group.

Edited by KnightofChrist