An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Best Cat Food Taste Test ....

cmaD2006

So, I went to a major pet store today. I needed cat food. Kitty cat is now about a year old, so it is time to change from the heavy-calorie-laden food to the I'm-an-indoor-young-cat food.

What to buy? What to buy?

So, I picked three brands of dry food. Super expensive brand A. Less expensive brand B. Even less expensive, but still higher end brand C.

Happy, happy, joy, joy. I get home. The cat food bags are in plastic bags. I open the door.

Oops -- I left something in the car. I decided, hmm. Let me go get it. I intelligently leave the cat food bags right inside of the front door. I adventure back out.

I made it to the car -- grabbed what I left behind, and came right back. It's raining, so I really don't want to get too wet. Besides, nothing like home.

I open the door .... kitty cat has this innocent look on her face. I think nothing of it, I go pet her and pay oodles of attention to her. When I grab one of the cat food bags, she pulls at the plastic bag handle. Darn it -- she just broke it. Wierd -- she doesn't usually act this way, but oh well!

I make it up the stairs to my 2nd floor condo. She all purrs, and she's following me around. Every so often I get that soft meow.

Ah. Pull out the new toys. She pays attention for like 2 seconds. Something else is on her mind.

FOOD. MEOW!

I check her bowl -- she still has a bit left, but hey, time to try some of the new food.

I go to dump the 1st bag into a ziplock -- brand C. To my shagrin -- there's HOLES at the top of the bag. That's wierd, they weren't there before at the store.

Duh. The cat made it.

I promptly said -- hmm, I wonder. I dumped some of the food in her bowl. She gives that gentle meow sound, and proceeds to promptly devour the food.

The taste test proves it -- she likes brand C. Salmon flavor too. And ha -- the one brand with some fillers in it. But mostly natural. No need to try the others -- she didn't attack those physically.

That's too funny!!!!

I had one cat that used to leave the peas in the bowl from the well-known brand's 'Kitty Stew'. Carefully licked clean, mind you.

Then there the second cat, who was pretty picky about his favorite choices. One day I had picked up a new flavor, and I opened the can. I know it had liver... I also know the stuff... smellled... unbelievably bad. No cat food smells good, but THIS stufff..... Well, I put it in his favorite yellow bowl, placed it on his mat... and watched. Now this cat thought he was a dog. And he would eat an entire can, in one giant gulp, in about 3 minutes and lick the bowl and look around for more. But not this stuff. He looked at me like I had gone mad. He sniffed it. He shook his head and looked back at me as if to say, "You aren't serious." I reasoned with him, "Dolfo, it's just a new flavor. At least give it a try. You like the creamed kidneys... maybe this is similar." He tried a bite. He spit out the bite. He looked up at me, and maintained eye contact while he carefully stepped over the bowl and proceded to mime kicking sand all over the bowl. He didn't need to use words to express that "This stuff tastes like s***.

Needless to say, it got the flush and he got a new can of cat food.

Glad yours has found something she likes! If she doesn't like the others, maybe your local animal shelter would take it....

Thanks for making my night!

Maximilianus

te olvidaste del la marca 'E'. bacalao y berenjena guisado con arroz blanco, y si el felino no se lo come, lo puedes guardar para el desayuno

:|

Autumn Dusk

Remember that filler for cats is like filler for humans...all sugar and fat.

But im glad your cat is happy.

Autum Dusk - the brand with some fillers is acutuall a premium brand (it is a well kniwn brand but not simply a supermarket brand). This cat isn't fat so.its ok.

TheresaThoma

Yup cats will pretty quickly let you know what they like and don't like, We have to rotate about 3 different brands of canned food through for our three kitties. Otherwise they get bored and refuse to eat it. (Can't do all dry cause one of the cats is diabetic).

[quote name='bernadette d' timestamp='1335737364' post='2424937']
You should get a free bag or two for this publicity :hehe2:
[/quote]

Ya know ... maybe, just maybe I should find the email for brand C. And send them the story (sans "well she picked the one with the fillers!")

Maximo -- this human wants the bacalao. Forget the cat.

I read that, too, Maximilianus... bits of bacalao might make the other brands palatable... but then cmariadiaz would have to chase the cat away from her dinner! Probalby better she not know it is edible.... good luck!

My mom's cat started pilferng corn chips after seeing my mom eat them.... smart kitty!

edited by mod (cmariadiaz):  my real name was used

Edited by cmariadiaz

Here you go, MIKolbe:

[url="https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-as98wE1HEXA/TWppbP6m7eI/AAAAAAAAEu0/iouIVzT6vSQ/s1600/Special+Kitty_SalmonDinner.jpg"][img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-as98wE1HEXA/TWppbP6m7eI/AAAAAAAAEu0/iouIVzT6vSQ/s200/Special+Kitty_SalmonDinner.jpg[/img][/url]