An Old School Catholic Message Board

Let's Talk Dominicans!

DiscerningCatholic

Strikes me that DC is the 'legitimate superior' of this thread. She gets to make the rules.

DC's challenge is to be a loving, supportive superior... without resorting to :getaclue: :numchucks: :boink:

Tough challenge with this crew... :brutebeast: including me!

Now... about those Dominicans...

DiscerningCatholic
;) I just find the knocking/hitting/thumping ones hilarious, so I often deploy them without any legitimate reason. :P I've never seen any emoticons remotely similar to those on here, so I'm making liberal use of them! :dance:

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1351279796' post='2498050']
DS, we won't let Miles steal your thread ;)

Miles -- be careful what you ask for -- my Dad grew about 12 inches one summer (after having a bunch of impacted wisdom teeth removed.) He said he would have preferred to stay shorter....

DS, we won't let Miles steal your thread ;)

One of the things that is interesting about the Dominican Friars is that they have their novices do their novitiate IN PARISHES. That is so they get the experience of what it is like to try to balance work and prayer right at the start. Kind of like wht Mother Teresa does with her novices -- she said they HAD to have opportunities to do the work of their community or they couldn't know if they had the vocation.

Every other community I know of has a very strict separation of the novices from 'real world' ministry opportunities. Interesting. I even think the Dominican Sisters do it that way -- Iggy, do you know whether Sr. Mary Catherine in England -- former VSer Laeticia Crucis (SP?) -- is doing a totally spiritual novitiate, or if she has any outside ministries? And how is she doing -- I know you correspond with her....
[/quote]

It's been a few months since I've heard from LC--but it's more than partly my fault as it's been too long since I've written her.

LC has a two-year novitiate. She just ended the first year at the end of Sept. As I understand it, during her first (canonical) novitiate year she didn't participate in most of her Community's outside ministries. It might even have been ALL her Community's outside ministries--I'm not sure exactly what was included and what was excluded. However, in her first novitiate year LC DID start an online Bachelor's degree program in Theology. I haven't talked to LC yet about exactly what she'll be doing in her second year of the novitiate, but I'm pretty sure she'll go back to participating in her Community's outside ministries, as well as continuing her online degree. I'm making this guess about LC's second year based on what I saw online of another Sister's second year of her novitiate. That Sister (who has now made her first profession) seemed very active in the Community's outside ministries during her second novitiate year.

As of this past summer, LC was VERY happy. She loves her online degree program. LC is a very adaptable person, so I expect she did just fine in her canonical novitiate year. However, I think she was also looking forward to active participation again.

I wish I knew more specifics. Sorry. Hope this helps.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1351131427' post='2497323']
Let's not talk about them and say we did. :P
[/quote]

I agree with this!

once again, by popular demand, Dominican Dominicans

[img]http://ser.dominicos.org/kit_upload/Image/album/2010/Profesiones-RD/1.jpg[/img]

Thanks for the update, Iggy, and for the photo, Max!

Iggy, seems like that is the way it is with most communities that have a 2 year novitiate.... and those that profess people after one year usually have school or a limited ministry the next year as a comparable way of transitioning. Makes sense to me!!!!!

When I was in the community I was in, the POSTULANTS were allowed to teach CCD, but not the novices -- because the sisters doing their 'canonical novitiate year' (the one required by canon law) could not have an outside apostolate.... so that sounds like the story with LC as well. When you do write, give her our love!

Nice Dominican Dominicans, Max! How about you drop some of your Dominican figures into this thread... give it some additional class!

DiscerningCatholic

[quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1351297135' post='2498231']
once again, by popular demand, Dominican Dominicans

[img]http://ser.dominicos.org/kit_upload/Image/album/2010/Profesiones-RD/1.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Dominiception...? :huh:

DiscerningCatholic

[img]http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcfaubcYHy1qiu3jko1_1280.jpg[/img]

Last year...

[img]https://www.sistersofmary.org/images/Community%20pics%20August%20018%20-%20light.jpg[/img]

This year... :love: Hopefully my soon-to-be family!

I LOVE how you can see some of the novices from 2011 as temporary professed in 2012!!!! :woot:

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-R1PSRn26RN8/UGGmQASexgI/AAAAAAAAEgU/-MF9mwtaCC8/s1600/The+monument.jpg[/img]

Monument of Friar Antonio de Montesinos, O.P. in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.

[quote name='DiscerningCatholic' timestamp='1351300406' post='2498273']

[img]https://www.sistersofmary.org/images/Community%20pics%20August%20018%20-%20light.jpg[/img]

[/quote]

Starting to look just a little bit squished ;)