An Old School Catholic Message Board

Teresabenedicta (sr. Asterone)

To Jesus Through Mary

To Jesus Through Mary

Made 1st vows Nov 1st!!!!!!!!!!
Sister Maria Asterone Dodeka (Means Mary of 12 stars in Greek) is the 5th from the left. :)
[img]http://www.ssvmusa.org/Images/Events/2012/All.Saints.Day.Vows/Profession%20of%20First%20Vows%20122.jpg[/img]

Sorry I forgot to post this over here earlier. I know many of you are friends with her. I saw her in September and she was doing quite well. Please continue to pray for her family.

Edited by To Jesus Through Mary

dominicansoul

that community comes up with the most unique names! its very refreshing. i think we have way too many "maria therese's" out there :hehe:

she is absolutely glowing!! Thanks be to God!

ChristinaTherese

[quote name='tinytherese' timestamp='1352437713' post='2506929']
What the name of the community?
[/quote]
They are the Sister Servants of the Lord and the Virgin of Matará. (The US province's website is here: http://www.ssvmusa.org/)

She's beautiful! Thanks for sharing! :)

BTW, I was wondering why SSVM have such short formation periods? Not to be rude or anything, I'm just curious. She just entered last year, didn't she?

Couldn't have been. They have a normal formation process: [url="http://www.ssvmusa.org/Vocations/Stages.of.Formation.shtm#Postulancy"]http://www.ssvmusa.org/Vocations/Stages.of.Formation.shtm#Postulancy[/url]

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1352448276' post='2507005']

BTW, I was wondering why SSVM have such short formation periods? Not to be rude or anything, I'm just curious. She just entered last year, didn't she?
[/quote]

To Jesus Through Mary

They do have a comparatively short formation process to vows. Postulancy can be as short as a week (mine was 6 weeks) and can last up to a year and the novitiate lasts a year (jt is the cannonical year) and can only be extended 6 months. It varies slightly when the classes cannonical years start, but most received their habit Dec 8th. However once vows are made the formation continues typically for another 3 years. 2 of those years are spent in the local house of studies and the other is spend in Italy's house of studies. So as a whole the formation process last about the same, the difference is most of the formation is completed while the sister is in vows.

To Jesus Through Mary

Oh and Sr. Asterone is one of the smartest sisters of the bunch, so her studies may even be extended on after her formation is complete. :)

[quote name='To Jesus Through Mary' timestamp='1352459008' post='2507078']
They do have a comparatively short formation process to vows. Postulancy can be as short as a week (mine was 6 weeks) and can last up to a year and the novitiate lasts a year (jt is the cannonical year) and can only be extended 6 months. It varies slightly when the classes cannonical years start, but most received their habit Dec 8th. However once vows are made the formation continues typically for another 3 years. 2 of those years are spent in the local house of studies and the other is spend in Italy's house of studies. So as a whole the formation process last about the same, the difference is most of the formation is completed while the sister is in vows.
[/quote]

That makes sense. Thank you! :)

Thanks for sharing this lovely photograph........Sr Maria Asterone Dodeka and her fellow sisters look so happy on their " Special Day "

[/quote]
I think she also had a really short postulancy because she lived with the Sisters as a pre-candidate while she was paying off her loans and they decided to let her have a short postulancy rather than make her wait another whole year.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[/quote]

Mater--I had the same question (out of curiosity--I didn't really know Teresabenedicta) but I was afraid to post it because I couldn't remember exactly when Teresabenedicta entered. So thanks for asking!

And, while I'm being curious, I'll ask another question. Now that Sr. Asterone has taken first vows, how long will it be to her final profession?

SSVMs I think have the minimum required formation period. The community I was with had something similar -- although you're not guaranteed to move on (and I assume that with the SSVMs it is the same). Both communities are newer communities (within the last 30 years) founded in Argentina. As far as final profession -- I am thinking it may be 3 years per canon law? If she's at the min age for making final vows.

Someone who knows the specifics about the SSVMs, please chime in if I'm wrong. But I remember that this was a similarity between the two communities.

The bare minimum by canon law is a novitiate of a year. So -- you can become a sister technically in a year's time (if your postulancy is 0). Most communities have a postulancy of about a year, but there is no "norm" per se. The community I was with -- postulancy could be anywhere from 3 months to 6. Women usually went through the Novitiate in a year and a half (not two). The men -- it was a year (you would enter the postulancy and novitiate around the same time as the men did, but they would go through vows about 1/2 a year earlier than you did).

To Jesus Through Mary

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1352482916' post='2507241']

Mater--I had the same question (out of curiosity--I didn't really know Teresabenedicta) but I was afraid to post it because I couldn't remember exactly when Teresabenedicta entered. So thanks for asking!

And, while I'm being curious, I'll ask another question. Now that Sr. Asterone has taken first vows, how long will it be to her final profession?
[/quote]

6 years :) the first 3 years she will renew each year and then she will make a vows for 3 years, then it will be time for final.