An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lenten Flylady Challenge (from Anneline)

AnneLine

Sunday of the 2nd Week of Lent

WEEKENDS ARE FOR REST AND RENEWAL!!!!

Sundays - do something to Renew your Spirit.

And keep up your daily routine:

Dress to shoes

Look look at posted reminders

Read your FlyLady emails or check her website

Recognize negative voices and change them

Put out hot spot for 2 mins

Shine your sink before you go to bed

Put out your hot spot for 2 mins

Lay out clothes for tomorrow

Hope you are all having a good weekend!

Ended up not being TOTALLY fly-lady faithful this weekend, but still doing better.. .making time for God, for me, for my husband, for friends, and for just living.

Hope you are having this experience as well.

Some of you have asked a bit more about FLYLady.... here's a good video -- but it's a little old... she's got more than 600,000 people working her program now... and a herd of 'em on Facebook as well.   And by the way... there are flyGUYS as well.... Lots of 'em....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgdNPWhAlyI

Have a wonderful week, everyone!!!!

Monday of the 2nd Week of Lent

Well, it's the start of a new work week for most of us.  

Still having to remind myself to do a few of the things... but increasingly it's becoming habitual.

I have to be FIRM with myself on a few of the tasks - I still hate to clean the sink and do the dishes. 

But I offer them up for someone who needs prayers, and that helps... a lot.

And, yes, I do have some prayer-type things I add morning and evening...

but I'm trying to keep this challenge to just what FLYLady has on her list... and it is important to just start VERY slowly and get the habits established. 

If you try to do too much at first, you'll just 'fall off the fly wagon', as they say.

These skills are the foundations for your building.

Getting this part down cold will repay you a thousand times.

Keep on praying for each other -- and I am praying for all of you. :)

FLYLady's 8th Day

Find an old loose-leaf binder and put some paper in it. 

This is your new CONTROL JOURNAL.

At the top of one page, write Morning Routine

At the top of another page write Before Bed Routine

Write the below simple routines on the 2 pages.

And, of course, you know what to do with them! 

If re-arranging the tasks or moving some from morning to evening works better for you, feel free to adjust the schedule.  

You know your own life and your own needs.

MORNING ROUTINE:

Dress to shoes

Look look at posted reminders   Check your new CONTROL JOURNAL!

EVENING ROUTINE:

Put out your hot spot

Edited by AnneLine

Tuesday of the 2nd Week of Lent

Hi, everyone!   We're almost two weeks into this challenge!!!   I am curious to know how people are doing!    I know people must be reading it -- because we are almost up to 1000 views!   And I do get a few pms and emails that let me know some people are finding this helpful... 

"I" am finding it helpful, too!  

I'm curious to know what is and is not working for all you... if you choose to share. 

It will help me make a better thread for you!

I'm finding I the 2 minute idea a big help.  

• Swept my kitchen in 2 minutes
  • Pulled the sheets OFF my bed in 2 minutes this afternoon.   (That means I HAD to remake the bed and couldn't procrastinate!). 
  • Used a couple of 2 minute dashes to dump all the little trash baskets around the house into one big one earlier today...
  • That made taking the trash out to the curb SO MUCH easier tonight-- a final 2 mnutes! 

I didn't even notice that 10 minutes until now... that's a lot of things taken care of with absolutely no drama!   

Anybody else have this experience?

I also spent some minutes putting together my starter-control-journal

Trying to balance work and home, or work and school, or work and ANYTHING  isn't easy, and it helps me to have somewhere to start.  This basic structure is a GREAT place to start!

The hardest thing about this FLYLady thing is just doing steps and stopping when it is time to stop. 

But it really is a good Lenten discipline....

And I'm still praying for all of you!!!!

~~~~~ + ~~~~~

FLYLady's 9th Day

Today we start to Declutter our spaces.

We are going to EVICT a selfish house guest from our homes!!!

As FLYLady notes in this essay:

"It is time to pack his bags and send him out into the world to fend for
himself. You have wasted enough of your time on him. From now on, you are going
to become very particular about whom you bring home to reside with you and your
family.

Are you ready to evict this squatter, so you can FLY?"

Read the whole thing here... it's funny, but it is true...

http://www.flylady.net/d/br/2012/08/10/your-selfish-house-guest/

Today's task is:

Read the Decluttering FLYing Lesson. 

http://www.flylady.net/d/getting-started/flying-lessons/decluttering/

AND

Add a 5 minute 'Room Rescue' to your Morning Routine.

This Mission is one of the easiest FLYLady has!   

..........It is small and it is doable.

....................The results will astound you!

How to do a Room Rescue:

• Pick one room to focus on:   Living Room? Bedroom?  Kitchen?  You choose!
  • CHOOSE JUST ONE ROOM!
  • Set your timer for 5 Minutes!
  • Work as fast as you can to pick up and put away!
  • STOP WHEN THE TIMER STOPS!!!

MORNING ROUTINE:

Dress to shoes

Check your Control Journal

5 minute Room Rescue (any room). Set Timer & Go

EVENING ROUTINE:

Put out your hot spot for 2 minutes

MissScripture

I haven't been participating, since we have just moved and haven't even unpacked, yet (though we really should throw out a BUNCH of clutter! We had far too many things to move!). But I have to say, I love that now I can HAVE a shiny sink! We had a porcelain sink at the old house, and it never really felt clean, unless it had just been soaked in bleach, because it was always getting discolored, otherwise. Now we have a stainless steel sink. So nice and shiny!

Thanks for checking in, Miss Scripture!  Everyone takes what they can use from this.

You might find this helpful...

FLYLady's moving tips!    http://www.flylady.net/d/getting-started/flying-lessons/moving/

I wish I had thought to include the 'before you move' stuff when you were packing!

But you may still find some stuff helpful here... and so may some of the others! 

She has a really good plant to help you through prepping, moving, etc.

She's also got a bunch of 'canned' 'control journals' - including one for moving!

http://www.flylady.net/d/control-journals/

I plan to post these later on as well, but some of them may be helpful for you or some of the others.... as always, use what you can use, toss the rest -- it would be more clutter otherwise!

And congrats on the new sink!!!!  I am JEALOUS .... except I want one, too, but wouldn't take yours!!!!

Blessings!

Wednesday of the 2nd Week of Lent

Hello, everyone.   Well, something odd happened today.  I looked around my house... and it's not perfect, but it definitely looks... better.   Neater.  Emptier.   Something is happening.

And I have more time to spend with God, in relaxing, in having fun.   Stuff is getting done, but I'm not getting TOO stressed.

One funny thing did happen today.   I had JUST cleaned off the front of some cabinets for two minutes, and decided to make a cup of drip coffee.  When I poured the water into the dripper, I must have hit it at a funny angle, because instead of making a cup of coffee, it tossed water and coffee grounds ALL OVER my kitchen counter, fronts and insides of the drawers, all down the front of the cabinets, and finally settled into a thick puddle of grounds all over my kitchen floor... and some was on me, too!  There COULDN'T have been that much coffee in one little filter of coffee!!! 

coffee-ground-facial-scrub.JPG?w=495

My first reaction was to throw a hissy fit... and I will admit that I had a little one... but then I remembered something that one of the FLYLady messages said from yesterday... one of the people who had written to her said that she was peeved by some things her husband did... until she realized that many people weren't fortunate enough to have husbands... or the ability to clean for them.   I remembered that, and as I cleaned up the mess (and it was a HUGE mess!) I spent the time being grateful, and while I was on my hands and knees cleaning up the coffee from the floor, cupboards, shelves, drawers and yes, the wainscotting.... I said a prayer for all those trying to make these steps work.  Truly changed the experience..... 

00-coffee-ground.jpg

I didn't have a perfect reaction, but it was definitely a changed one...

God is changing my attitudes, one baby step at a time....

FLYLady's 10th Day

Today we learn the power of 15 minutes.

• This step gives us permission to STOP doing something after 15 minutes.
  • You CANNOT restart the timer after the 15 minutes.
  • It is NOT a race to finish in 15 mins.
  • The point of setting the timer is to keep us focused on what we are doing.

Starting today, add a 15 minute declutter mission to your daily Routine, either in the morning or evening.

FOR TODAY:

Spend 15 minutes picking up all the trash you can find, and throw it away in the garbage can outside.

BONUS:

Now set the timer for another 15 minutes, and put your feet up and read a magazine or book until the timer goes off.

The power of 15 minutes can be used for anything!

MORNING ROUTINE:

Dress to shoes

Check your Control Journal

Spend 5 minutes doing a room rescue

Spend 15 minutes Decluttering each day--You choose morning or evening.

You can't organize clutter.

EVENING ROUTINE:

Put out your hot spot

Edited by AnneLine

ARFink posted something in his random thread that I am adding to my 'Inspiration' page

Here's the link......http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/126835-arfink-gets-random-part-two/?p=2549131

and the video...

http://vimeo.com/51873011

Here's my inspiration -- what would happen if we all were able to let God transform US into Supercapacitors.... if God could use our burned out carbon and make it power a spiritual powerhouse...

Oh my.

Just oh my.

I think FLYLady would call it a 'God Breeze'....

Thursday of the 2nd Week of Lent

Well... yesterday I managed to clean out about a fifth of my garage in 15 minutes.  No I'm not kidding.  I discoered that a bunch of the 'junk' was open empty paper bags!   (Not sure what my husband was doing with them, but they have gotten my garage de-clutter started with a big bang!!!)

I also noted yesterday my first entry on my new 'inspirational page' -- the idea of letting God transform me -- all of us! -- into supercapacitors.   I wonder what WOULD happen if we let God transform us that radically.....  one day at a time....

What or who inspires you???

HAVE A GOOD DAY, EVERYONE!

FLYLady's 11th Day

Today we add a new page to the Control Journal.

We are going to call it our 'Inspirational Page'

Just write down some favorite inspirational phrases.

Add to it as the Spirit moves you
Use this page to write down anything that touches your heart.

MORNING ROUTINE:

Dress to shoes

Check your control journal

Add the 'Inspirational Page' to your control journal.

5 minute Room rescue (any room). Set Timer & Go

Spend 15 minutes Decluttering each day. You can't organize clutter.

EVENING ROUTINE:

Put out your hot spot

Edited by AnneLine

Friday of the 2nd Week of Lent

Hi, Everyone.  I spent my 'decluttering' time on Thursday removing clutter from the front entrance and clipping down the hedge in front of our home.  It took longer than 15 minutes -- but It felt really good to finally get to it -- I have been putting doing this off for months.   

One thing I am noticing is that when I do most of the flylady plan each day, I have enough time to notice what needs to be done tomorrow.... and not stress over it.   Plan for it over a few days, in fact!  

(And, yes, I do miss a few steps almost every day.  I'm doing better than I was... and I am learning the value of humbly admitting when I am trying to do too much.)

One of FLYLady's favorite comments is "HOUSEWORK DONE IMPERFECTLY STILL BLESSES YOU FAMILY."

I think she is right.... :)

Today's task is to throw away all the flylady emails.  I haven't been able to make myself do that.  But my compromise is the put them into a  separate folder in my email called 'FLY Lady Keepers' -- when I get discouraged or frustrated, I look in there for inspiration.   You might try that too!

Assembling Stuff for 3rd Week of Lent

Week 3

• A write-on calendar

AND

FLYLady's 12th Day

Today delete all the emails you have received from Flylady. They will all return another time,,,,

MORNING ROUTINE:

Dress to shoes

• DELETE ALL YOUR FLYLADY EMAILS

EVENING ROUTINE:

Put out your hot spot

Edited by AnneLine

Annie, I just came across this topic, could you explain to me how this works???? It seems like a great thing to do during Lent.

Hi, CorJesu,

Welcome to Phatmass    :welcome:

Sure, I'll be happy to try to explain what this is.  (Those of you who have been following this can just skip right to the videos!)

A few weeks ago, there was a thread on OpenMic (and it still surfaces now and then!) about what people were thinking about doing for Lent.  Lots of people had lots of BIG plans for Lent... but that had never worked for me... it just got me discouraged.

It got me to thinking about what "I" needed to be doing for Lent, and what I had found most helpful in the past.  I realized that easily the BEST Lenten thing I had ever done was committing to the "FLYLady Challenge' of doing the 31 steps to start 'Flying' that were recommended by Marla Cilley, the 'FLYLady'   (BTW... "FLY-LADY" was her EMAIL address and the name just stuck... because she teaches fly fishing! BUT... it also stands for 'Finally Loving Yourself' - for loving yourself enough to grow in the discipline needed to get your life and world de-cluttered and ordered to find God and love others better...)

You can read more about why I chose to do this challenge by checking the  first post in this thread--here's a link to it:

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/127033-lenten-flylady-challenge-from-anneline/?p=2544126

But why do I suggest it for Lent?  Because it is hard to do what she asks....!  It really is very simple, but every day, it is a good struggle against self-will and lazyness.  I'd much rather do almost anything than wash my dishes and clean the sink.  It doesn't seem too heroic to clear off a hot spot for 2 minutes!   And the list goes on and on!!!

I'll admit I don't do everything every day... but I'm trying and I'm seeing progress.  I am trying to do the challenge each day for the love of God... and for souls.  

FLYing really is a version of what St. Therese recommended -- doing little things for God, with love.  And... if you start really slow and build good basic habits.... eventually the rest falls into place. 

You (or anyone else!) can PM me if you have more questions.  And yes, it's ok to not do everything every day, or to do it imperfectly.  Not getting things done the way I want to do them is a little humiliation, and I know I need some of those.  They reminds me of my own fallen nature, of my own selfishness, of my own pride.  It reminds me every day of how much I need God's grace to get anything done!

But every day I am gettlng a little better, a little stronger and resisting temptations to not do what I know need to do.  I'm starting to get a little more graceful about doing what I am told to do without talking back.  I'm finding I'm a little more prayerful as I work. 

CorJesu, I'd love to have you join us!  Just look over the last days' steps and jump in where we are.  As they say in AA, just do something toward each item, and fake it till you make it.  Just do the best you can, and tell God how much you love Him.   And it will be enough.  Really!

If you want to just jump in here, these videos will help you get ready to jump in...

These videos will tell you more about FLYLady and what her 'challenge' is all about....

Keeping yourself motivated...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be96RYVDk8M

About doing one thing at a time...and staying focused...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSavtD9zSWk

last video will be on next post... Phatmass says this is too cluttered! ;)

Have a blessed Friday and weekend, everyone!!!!

Edited by AnneLine

Saturday of the 2nd Week of Lent

WEEKENDS ARE FOR REST AND RENEWAL!!!!

Saturdays - do something fun with your family or friends.

And keep up your daily routine:

MORNING ROUTINE:

Dress to shoes

EVENING ROUTINE:

Put out your hot spot