An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cardinal On Women In The Catholic Church

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

I was googling news stories on the conclave and the whole Pope situation, and I came across this article about a Cardinal who will be participating in the Conclave and his opinion on what women need in the church.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/03/17168639-women-deserve-bigger-role-in-catholic-church-says-key-cardinal?lite

Any thoughts on this?? I don't really know how to feel about it. The said cardinal is from Argentina.

Ash Wednesday

He said nothing about the obvious that the media will try to spin this as: a call for women priests. I don't know the context or his intentions but I don't think he said anything necessarily wrong. Vague and open to spin but that's about it. Women getting more roles in the church doesn't mean they'll be priests. That's pretty much a closed case and it isn't going to happen.

I really don't care for the reporting during times like this. Other things being said are how "WITH THE POPE RESIGNING, SO MUCH IS NOW GOING TO BE OPEN FOR DISCUSSION!"

No, it just means we're getting a new pope.

I look forward to people getting trolled again.

Autumn Dusk

It's a bunch of hooey.  I think that we should reinsitute nuns into parish life again...many religious nuns have given up on their charasims of teaching and preaching.

Running the Vatican is not like running Congress or the white house.  It's not decision by committee.

PhuturePriest

He said nothing about the obvious that the media will try to spin this as: a call for women priests. I don't know the context or his intentions but I don't think he said anything necessarily wrong. Vague and open to spin but that's about it. Women getting more roles in the church doesn't mean they'll be priests. That's pretty much a closed case and it isn't going to happen.

I really don't care for the reporting during times like this. Other things being said are how "WITH THE POPE RESIGNING, SO MUCH IS NOW GOING TO BE OPEN FOR DISCUSSION!"

No, it just means we're getting a new pope.

I look forward to people getting trolled again.

I look forward to an ultra-conservative Pope being elected and then declaring that women can never be Priests, abortion can never be okay, contraception is always evil, and homosexual acts are never moral. I predict that the look on the media's face will spring forth five years of hysterical memes.

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

Well I don't really know what his implications were, so that's why I'm asking everyone else's thoughts to ponder on. For me it just seemed a little odd but necessary, because I do think that nuns should be brought back into parish life and things like Autumn said.

Autumn Dusk

Well I don't really know what his implications were, so that's why I'm asking everyone else's thoughts to ponder on. For me it just seemed a little odd but necessary, because I do think that nuns should be brought back into parish life and things like Autumn said.

Poor attempt at trying to put personal, unresearched opinion into the public eye.  One can infer by his article that he would approve women priests.  I think in an industry like journalism where women were kept out for horrible reasons for many years (guys wanted to be crude without repercussion)  slants one's take on what should be done and what is possible for the Vatican.   But no one is leering at baywatch pictures in the Conclave.

And let's be real here, it isn't as if the Vatican has a bunch of high level positions to go around.  There's the Pope, and a few high ministers, but otherwise it's much like a diocese.

I also think he is confusing the politics of Vatican CITY with the Vatican BUILDING, however, italian politics are still heavly male and that Rome follows in that socitial norm cannot be attributed directly to the Vatican.

Nihil Obstat

I look forward to an ultra-conservative Pope being elected and then declaring that women can never be Priests, abortion can never be okay, contraception is always evil, and homosexual acts are never moral. I predict that the look on the media's face will spring forth five years of hysterical memes.

You mean just like all the rest of the popes? :hehe:

Basilisa Marie

I think he makes a good point. 

Women can't be priests, but they can be cardinals. 

Debra Little

absolutely not!  women are not permitted to run the Church.  it is not Scriptural!

absolutely not!  women are not permitted to run the Church.  it is not Scriptural!

why are women permitted to be cardinals?  this is awful!

Fidei Defensor

Wrong.

Can. 351 §1. The Roman Pontiff freely selects men to be promoted as cardinals, who have been ordained at least into the order of the presbyterate and are especially outstanding in doctrine, morals, piety, and prudence in action; those who are not yet bishops must receive episcopal consecration.

Evangetholic

Shhh. They'll get you. The great Princess-Abbesses in the Holy Roman Empire acted like Prince-Bishops in everything that was not explicitly priestly.  I can't come up with a pressing reason why women couldn't be cardinal-electors or even why we couldn't erect territorial abbeys headed by women---at the expense of dioceses though.

Shhh. They'll get you. The great Princess-Abbesses in the Holy Roman Empire acted like Prince-Bishops in everything that was not explicitly priestly.  I can't come up with a pressing reason why women couldn't be cardinal-electors or even why we couldn't erect territorial abbeys headed by women---at the expense of dioceses though.

Evangetholic, this is totally unrelated to your post but I just quoted you to get your attention.  Can I ask why every time you post something new, your avatar is slightly different than 5 minutes before? 5 minutes might be an exaggeration but your avatar changes just slightly yet pretty frequently.

Signed,

Curious  :think2:

Evangetholic

Evangetholic, this is totally unrelated to your post but I just quoted you to get your attention.  Can I ask why every time you post something new, your avatar is slightly different than 5 minutes before? 5 minutes might be an exaggeration but your avatar changes just slightly yet pretty frequently.

Signed,

Curious  :think2:

Hmm...

Edited by Evangetholic