An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cardinal On Women In The Catholic Church

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

Evangetholic

I'm not sure what you mean. I literally change the pic every couple of days. But you mean like it's moving?

HisChildForever

absolutely not!  women are not permitted to run the Church.  it is not Scriptural!

why are women permitted to be cardinals?  this is awful!

Wrong.

Can. 351 §1. The Roman Pontiff freely selects men to be promoted as cardinals, who have been ordained at least into the order of the presbyterate and are especially outstanding in doctrine, morals, piety, and prudence in action; those who are not yet bishops must receive episcopal consecration.

Okay, I'm pretty sure she's just kidding. Sheesh.

Evangetholic

Unordained men have been cardinals before. I can't see why a woman couldn't be elevated. It's not a priestly office, per se.

I'm not sure what you mean. I literally change the pic every couple of days. But you mean like it's moving?

No I just mean that it changes frequently.  Just curious why you switch the picture every couple days.

Evangetholic

No I just mean that it changes frequently.  Just curious why you switch the picture every couple days.

It amuses me to do so.

Unordained men have been cardinals before. I can't see why a woman couldn't be elevated. It's not a priestly office, per se.

I'm quite wrong. The historica lay Cardinals had been ordained into minor orders. So no female cardinals, but Abbesses who function as Bishops in an administrative and (non-sacramental) pastoral role have existed throughout most of Church history and could be brought back.

Fidei Defensor

Okay, I'm pretty sure she's just kidding. Sheesh.

However, its only a matter of discipline.  The Church cannot ordain women as priests, but it could elevate them to Cardinals because there is nothing intrinsic to the position that requires one be ordained other than canon law required.

Lilllabettt

wouldn't it be interesting if the college of cardinals was required by canon law to be all-female.

The women cardinals must appoint a man pope, and the pope must appoint women who will choose his successor.  interesting.

I feel a short story coming on

Basilisa Marie

Dolan and Benedict Groeschel are on my side about female cardinals.  

It's theoretically possible because there's no holy orders actually involved in being a cardinal. 

http://fr.gloria.tv/?media=272602

Skip ahead to about 3:30 for the conversation about female cardinals.  Also includes the story about how JPII supposedly asked Mother Theresa to be a cardinal but she refused.  

However, its only a matter of discipline.  The Church cannot ordain women as priests, but it could elevate them to Cardinals because there is nothing intrinsic to the position that requires one be ordained other than canon law required.

^ This.  

Edited by Basilisa Marie

theoretically the normal posture for receiving communion could be changed to reception while doing a handstand, but that doesn't mean a whole lot.

Just saying... until it actually happens we could play what ifs about all sorts of things.

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

Dolan and Benedict Groeschel are on my side about female cardinals.  

It's theoretically possible because there's no holy orders actually involved in being a cardinal. 

http://fr.gloria.tv/?media=272602

Skip ahead to about 3:30 for the conversation about female cardinals.  Also includes the story about how JPII supposedly asked Mother Theresa to be a cardinal but she refused.  

I'm not going to lie, even though women can't be ordained priests, I think it would be really cool if women were elevated to be cardinals. It would definitely be a big change, but sometimes change is good.

Nihil Obstat

Like Slappo alluded to, there is a difference between what is theoretically possible, and what would be for the good of the Church. At the very least, the weight of custom and discipline mean that such a change could not be considered lightly. It also seems that the development of the Church over the centuries has tied the cardinalate more and more closely to the priesthood and the episcopacy. Whether or not it is tied necessarily to the priesthood and episcopacy is one thing, and if Cardinal Dolan said what he said then I will not disagree with him. But it is another matter whether that association is something of value that should be maintained.

I would perceive female cardinals as a troubling change. More than that I will not say.

to add: I do know that the theoretical example I gave was way off the rocker.

On a more serious note: I'm very highly skeptical of changing the traditions of the Church (small t) without due reason. The coolness of a female cardinal doesn't seem like due reason to me. To an extent I'm bothered by the abdication of the papacy as it is not within the traditions of the Church for a pope to serve for less than his entire life. The red shoes symbolize giving up ones entire life down to his blood being spilt in service to the Church.