An Old School Catholic Message Board

Any Poor Clares With The Traditional Latin Mass?

MarysLittleFlower

MarysLittleFlower

Does anyone know if there's a community of Poor Clares that has the Tridentine Latin Mass? I'm not sure how to find out... thanks! :)

"As I have posted in the past of a Traditional Mass at the Poor Clares Convent in Minooka, IL, I recently sent a message to the Mother Superior to inquiry if these Masses were still being regularly offered. I was pleased to see that not only is the Traditional Mass offered there once a month but also that a Divine Liturgy is also said there."
Dear Matthew
Yes there is a Latin Mass on the third Saturday of each month that is open to the public. Also a Divine Liturgy on the second Saturday usually, but I an not sure of this month as Father Ron Hilt is going to Fatima. He did hope to find another priest for us.

In Jesus and Mary,
The Poor Clares
Copied as was posted on Jan 2012

Pax_et bonum

The Poor Sisters of St. Clare have the NO in Latin, priest facing the altar, receive the Eucharist kneeling behind the grille (the congregation receives at the altar rail), postulants wear chapel veils, but they pray the LotH in English.

MarysLittleFlower

thanks for the replies! :)

if anyone knows more orders... that would be great :)

I really like the Poor Clares.. I've been looking at some of their websites today.

How are the Colettines different from other Poor Clares?

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

I find it interesting that the the PC's in Minooka are right across the street from the main Kellogg's plant ! It is ginormous!!

Pax_et bonum

The Colettines are a reform of the Poor Clares--Poor Clare Colettines--other reforms include the Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration (Mother Angelica), Capuchin Poor Clares, and rather recently the Poor Clares of the Immaculate. Not too long after St. Clare's death, Pope Urban IV gave permission for the Poor Clares to not have such a radical poverty that St. Clare begged Pope Innocent IV to grant her and her sisters. The Urbanist Poor Clares, or Order of St. Clare (OSC), were allowed to own property and be more financially stable. By the time St. Colette came around in the 15th century, the Poor Clares had grown rather lax, and she was called to reform the Poor Clares back to more of the original rule. St. Colette went back to St. Clare's Rule that was approved by the pope just 2 days before her death, and in addition to following the Rule, they also follow Colettine Constitutions.

The Poor Clares in Minooka, IL, for example, are Colettines, as are the ones Allie's in contact with in Barhamsville, VA, and the ones our pmer Sr. Mary Agnes (Piccoli Fiori JMJ) entered in Rockford, IL. The Poor Sisters of St. Clare aren't Colettines; they follow the same Rule as the PCCs but don't have the Constitutions. They are similar to the Colettines, but they are a little more strict in their poverty.

Chiara Francesco

The Colettines are a reform of the Poor Clares--Poor Clare Colettines--other reforms include the Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration (Mother Angelica), Capuchin Poor Clares, and rather recently the Poor Clares of the Immaculate. Not too long after St. Clare's death, Pope Urban IV gave permission for the Poor Clares to not have such a radical poverty that St. Clare begged Pope Innocent IV to grant her and her sisters. The Urbanist Poor Clares, or Order of St. Clare (OSC), were allowed to own property and be more financially stable. By the time St. Colette came around in the 15th century, the Poor Clares had grown rather lax, and she was called to reform the Poor Clares back to more of the original rule. St. Colette went back to St. Clare's Rule that was approved by the pope just 2 days before her death, and in addition to following the Rule, they also follow Colettine Constitutions.

The Poor Clares in Minooka, IL, for example, are Colettines, as are the ones Allie's in contact with in Barhamsville, VA, and the ones our pmer Sr. Mary Agnes (Piccoli Fiori JMJ) entered in Rockford, IL. The Poor Sisters of St. Clare aren't Colettines; they follow the same Rule as the PCCs but don't have the Constitutions. They are similar to the Colettines, but they are a little more strict in their poverty.

The PCCs in Minooka are founded from the Rockford PCCs.  The Abbess in Minooka, Mother Mary Dorothy, was the Abbess in Rockford in the past before they made a foundation in Minooka.

Minooka's websites:

NEW website: http://poorclaresjoliet.org/

Old website:  http://174.120.138.8/~minooka/

The PCCs in Minooka have the TLM 1-2 or more times a month and the other masses have either a lot or some Latin in them.  Their masses are the BEST I have ever attended out of several other PCCs, Carmels and Dominican monasteries I have visited!

The priests are mostly Franciscan friars (in their Franciscan robes) and sometimes other priests.  All their priests are very reverent and give fantastic sermons at every mass - not just Sundays - and are 8-10 mins or more.  I have, sad to say, been to a few monasteries where the nuns are great and traditional but the priests that come to say the mass are not or they do quick in-and-out masses with either NO sermons or so short it's a joke.  Very sad.  NOT so at the PCCs of Minooka!

tlmminooka_zps42925bb8.jpg

Priest saying a TLM at the PCCs in Minooka.  Above picture and more at this article:  http://acatholiclife.blogspot.com/2009/06/saturday-of-blessed-virgin-mary.html

The opening in the wall facing the priest is the niche where the sisters put the monstrance for Adoration and take it down for mass and non-Adoration hours.   This opening looks into their choir where they have the Divine Office, mental prayer, adoration, vocal prayers, etc.  Their mass "choir" is to the priests right of this opening and the priest. 

When I visited them for a week, I thought I was in heaven with the masses, Latin and the sisters chanting and singing!  So wonderful to see them get down on the floor in this way:

prostration.jpg

out of their pews and onto the floor for a while each during the consecration of the Body and Blood part of the mass.

Of course, their whole life was like heaven!  The way they chanted the Divine Office, Adoration, other prayers (vocal), with me at the grille, their fantastic extern, etc.!

I recommend any and all who feel they do or might have a vocation to the PCCs to go to them!  Anyone wants more on them, my visit with them, etc. just write me.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

"I have, sad to say, been to a few monasteries where the nuns are great and traditional but the priests that come to say the mass are not or they do quick in-and-out masses with either NO sermons or so short it's a joke.  Very sad.  NOT so at the PCCs of Minooka!"

Sadly many dioceses feel that the best place to put a priest that they are having difficulty placing is at a cloistered monastery. The different Orders and dioceses feel they are "wasting" their men if they send good, holy and fervent priests to monasteries which is totally opposite of what it says in Verbi Sponsa. St. Dominic did not feel that way at all and so reverenced the contemplative life that he always sent his best men to the monasteries.

It is a true suffering for a cloister because we can't just go out and find another mass, etc.

Right now, we are very blessed to have a wonderful friar who is reverent, LOVES the liturgy and preaches very well. We are so grateful that the Provincial is allowing him to be our chaplain. Plus, he loves it here!

BTW, that is a beautiful chasuble in the photo!

The Poor Clare Colettines have a wonderful monastery here in Cleveland, Ohio. They were the first permanent Poor Clares in the United States: link

Chiara Francesco

They also get great priests, Franciscan and others, for mass and retreats and conferences.  They get Fr. Benet Fonck, great Franciscan book writer, and Fr. Antoine Thomas (EWTN and big on Adoration for kids, forget his order) who came last year sometime for a retreat.  And then others who don't have well-known names but do an equally great job!

MarysLittleFlower

The Poor Clare Colettines have a wonderful monastery here in Cleveland, Ohio. They were the first permanent Poor Clares in the United States: link

oh yes I looked at their website before and really liked them! :)

The PCCs in Minooka are founded from the Rockford PCCs.  The Abbess in Minooka, Mother Mary Dorothy, was the Abbess in Rockford in the past before they made a foundation in Minooka.

Minooka's websites:

NEW website: http://poorclaresjoliet.org/

Old website:  http://174.120.138.8/~minooka/

The PCCs in Minooka have the Traditional Latin Mass 1-2 or more times a month and the other masses have either a lot or some Latin in them.  Their masses are the BEST I have ever attended out of several other PCCs, Carmels and Dominican monasteries I have visited!

The priests are mostly Franciscan friars (in their Franciscan robes) and sometimes other priests.  All their priests are very reverent and give fantastic sermons at every mass - not just Sundays - and are 8-10 mins or more.  I have, sad to say, been to a few monasteries where the nuns are great and traditional but the priests that come to say the mass are not or they do quick in-and-out masses with either NO sermons or so short it's a joke.  Very sad.  NOT so at the PCCs of Minooka!

tlmminooka_zps42925bb8.jpg

Priest saying a Traditional Latin Mass at the PCCs in Minooka.  Above picture and more at this article:  http://acatholiclife.blogspot.com/2009/06/saturday-of-blessed-virgin-mary.html

The opening in the wall facing the priest is the niche where the sisters put the monstrance for Adoration and take it down for mass and non-Adoration hours.   This opening looks into their choir where they have the Divine Office, mental prayer, adoration, vocal prayers, etc.  Their mass "choir" is to the priests right of this opening and the priest. 

When I visited them for a week, I thought I was in heaven with the masses, Latin and the sisters chanting and singing!  So wonderful to see them get down on the floor in this way:

prostration.jpg

out of their pews and onto the floor for a while each during the consecration of the Body and Blood part of the mass.

Of course, their whole life was like heaven!  The way they chanted the Divine Office, Adoration, other prayers (vocal), with me at the grille, their fantastic extern, etc.!

I recommend any and all who feel they do or might have a vocation to the PCCs to go to them!  Anyone wants more on them, my visit with them, etc. just write me.

they sound so great! :) I hope to learn more about them :D

sorry for all the underlining.. I'm not sure how that happened :)