An Old School Catholic Message Board

Woman "bishop" Calls St. Paul A "bigot"

OnlySunshine

OnlySunshine

This is so sad.  The "Bishop" of the Episcopal Church has declared that St. Paul was nothing more than a mean-spirited bigot for having released a slave girl from demonic bondage as reported in Acts  16:16-34.  She went so far as to declare those who did not agree with her as "enemies of the Holy Spirit." This woman needs a serious wake-up call.  Sad to say that she sounds like she is under the influence of the devil.

http://anglicanink.com/article/diversity-not-jesus-saves-says-presiding-bishop

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Basilisa Marie

Well, she's an Anglican bishop, so obviously a lot of things she says are going to be wrong...

The first rule of homiletics is that if you have to twist a text in order to make it fit your preconceived argument, then choose another text...  I much prefer this interpretation:;(scroll down to Friday May 10th) it's a good retelling of the story, and it doesn't do violence to the Scriptural text, or to the Faith itself.

Edited by cappie

Nihil Obstat

Clicked on this thread. Have not read the link yet. I bet it was Schori.

Edit: Yep. Of course it was.

You can always tell when Schori, Robinson, or Spong have said something stupid. You can tell it was them just from the headlines they generate. :rolleyes:

Edited by Nihil Obstat

St. Paul is a saint, while the "bishop" who uttered the offensive statement is not even a real bishop.

The first rule of homiletics is that if you have to twist a text in order to make it fit your preconceived argument, then choose another text...  I much prefer this interpretation:;(scroll down to Friday May 10th) it's a good retelling of the story, and it doesn't do violence to the Scriptural text, or to the Faith itself.

That's a great rule!

So I am trying to understand her logic...

Paul is a bigot because I did not embrace the diversity of a possessed (girl that so happens to speak truth in order to draw them in...) and took this "gift" away from her; Thus destroying her dreams and wishes?

Nihil Obstat

Paul is a bigot because I did not embrace the diversity of a possessed (girl that so happens to speak truth in order to draw them in...) and took this "gift" away from her; Thus destroying her dreams and wishes?

Apparently the demon's occult divination was actually a holy gift. That is eisegesis at its finest. Or, perhaps, at its very worst. :rolleyes:

You know, despite the fact that the Bible itself says it was a demon.

Basilisa Marie

Nah, she thinks that the girl wasn't really possessed, but had a spiritual gift that was misunderstood to be possession because the girl was a slave  and didn't fit Paul's paradigm and so Paul took the girl's spiritual gift away because he failed to see God in her.  It's not accurate to say that this bishop doesn't think Jesus saves (but that "diversity" does), and it's also not accurate to say that you can't criticize Paul and examine some of the cultural norms of the time in order to get a fuller understanding of what's going on in the text.  But what she did in her sermon was interpret the text in a way that so far off in left field because she bent the text to serve her own needs, instead of looking at what the text and good study of it say. 

Salvation comes not from being cleansed of our sins by the atoning sacrificial death of Jesus Christ, but through the divinization of humanity through the work of the human will. 

tumblr_lvv4jvx4xj1qemoij.png

OnlySunshine

tumblr_lvv4jvx4xj1qemoij.png

I know!  My head nearly exploded from reading that as well.  I want to do this to her:

tumblr_m87zmlxZUh1r79xuto1_500.gif