An Old School Catholic Message Board

Summer Reading Competition

Byzantine

So I thought this might be fun. Let's see who can finish the most books between now and the end of August. Winner gets no prize unless someone else provides it.

You can count a book you started before today so long as it is finished today or later.

For scoring, make sure to give the title of the book.

Edited by Byzantine

Dr. Bombay

And comic books? Or as adults who don't want to admit they read comic books call them, "graphic novels." What about those?

Can I read a couple hundred very short books? 

Yes, but then your victory might be kinda hollow, wouldn't it?

Do audio books count?  What if I watch a movie based on a book?

Yes. No.

And comic books? Or as adults who don't want to admit they read comic books call them, "graphic novels." What about those?

Comic books yes. Graphic novels, no. XD

Edited by Byzantine

Sounds like a fun idea!  I wonder if perhaps might be fairer to count number of pages or something?   (Or minutes for audiobooks)

Sounds like a fun idea!  I wonder if perhaps might be fairer to count number of pages or something?   (Or minutes for audiobooks)

I think the only really fair way would be by word count, but ain't nobody got time fo' dat, so however we track it, it'll be rather flawed.

Problem with page numbers is, people round here probably read books in dozens of different editions, so someone could read, say, To Kill a Mockingbird and have it count as 200 pages, while another person reading another edition would only have it count as 150.

Nihil Obstat

Yes, but then your victory might be kinda hollow, wouldn't it?

Hollow, but a victory nonetheless. :|

I read two hundred books yesterday. Some of them may have been only a couple words long, but I did certainly read them.

LittleWaySoul

I WANT TO DO THIS. 

I've lost my reading addiction I used to have when I was younger, and I WANT TO GET IT BACK.

This thread will be my motivation.

I'm in the middle of reading LOTR: FOTR right now, and it's not looking like I'll finish today, but I will begin reading NOW.

THANK YOU, BYZ! 

Nothing like a little competition to get me motivated  :bounce:

LittleWaySoul

Also, you fine people can keep me accountable. I'll be embarrassed if I'm as ridiculously slow as I have been lately. So... YAY! :smile3:

Chestertonian

In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but how many can get through to you. --Mortimer Adler

I WANT TO DO THIS. 

I've lost my reading addiction I used to have when I was younger, and I WANT TO GET IT BACK.

This thread will be my motivation.

I'm in the middle of reading LOTR: FOTR right now, and it's not looking like I'll finish today, but I will begin reading NOW.

THANK YOU, BYZ! 

Nothing like a little competition to get me motivated  :bounce:

I'm towards end of TTT. If you can surpass me, I'll be very impressed.

In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but how many can get through to you. --Mortimer Adler

Not as easy to measure.

I believe you mean comicbooks. A book which is funny is a comic book. A story told by sequential pictures with captions is a comicbook.

I believe you mean comicbooks. A book which is funny is a comic book. A story told by sequential pictures with captions is a comicbook.

Rosarium....is that you? <_<