An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discussion Lumen Gentium "the Mystery Of The Church"

BarbTherese

In another thread, it was suggested that we take a look at the vocation to the laity in secular life.  This vocation can take two forms:  marital state or single celibate chaste state.  I'm just feeling my way in this and thought we could start, providing there is interest, with the Dogmatic Constitution on The Church Lumen Gentium.  This document will place us as laity and all other states in life into the overall context of The Church as The Mystical Body of Christ on earth.  If we want to evangelise as Rome is asking, then we need to understand our subject.

We can start at the very beginning and see where it takes us.  This is quite a long document and if interest flags, the thread(s), whatever, will die a natural death.

As I read the first four paragraphs, I have highlighted in coloured format what struck me as I read for myself.  If there is interest in this discussion, then unfoldings will be as they occur as to what occurs as time moves on. ear-to-ear-smiling-smiley-emoticon.gif  No hard and fast rules - let The Spirit guide where He may.  Even if it is to CLUNK!............... thread dies out. :)

http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_const_19641121_lumen-gentium_en.html

Lumen Gentium

Dogmatic Constitution on The Church (Pope Paul V1)

Chapter One - The Mystery of The Church

Paragraphs 1 - 4

1. Christ is the Light of nations. Because this is so, this Sacred Synod gathered together in the Holy Spirit eagerly desires, by proclaiming the Gospel to every creature,(1) to bring the light of Christ to all men, a light brightly visible on the countenance of the Church. Since the Church is in Christ like a sacrament or as a sign and instrument both of a very closely knit union with God and of the unity of the whole human race, it desires now to unfold more fully to the faithful of the Church and to the whole world its own inner nature and universal mission. This it intends to do following faithfully the teaching of previous councils. The present-day conditions of the world add greater urgency to this work of the Church so that all men, joined more closely today by various social, technical and cultural ties, might also attain fuller unity in Christ.

2. The eternal Father, by a free and hidden plan of His own wisdom and goodness, created the whole world. His plan was to raise men to a participation of the divine life. Fallen in Adam, God the Father did not leave men to themselves, but ceaselessly offered helps to salvation, in view of Christ, the Redeemer "who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature".(2) All the elect, before time began, the Father "foreknew and pre- destined to become conformed to the image of His Son, that he should be the firstborn among many brethren".(3) He planned to assemble in the holy Church all those who would believe in Christ. Already from the beginning of the world the foreshadowing of the Church took place. It was prepared in a remarkable way throughout the history of the people of Israel and by means of the Old Covenant.(1*) In the present era of time the Church was constituted and, by the outpouring of the Spirit, was made manifest. At the end of time it will gloriously achieve completion, when, as is read in the Fathers, all the just, from Adam and "from Abel, the just one, to the last of the elect,"(2*) will be gathered together with the Father in the universal Church.

3. The Son, therefore, came, sent by the Father. It was in Him, before the foundation of the world, that the Father chose us and predestined us to become adopted sons, for in Him it pleased the Father to re-establish all things.(4) To carry out the will of the Father, Christ inaugurated the Kingdom of heaven on earth and revealed to us the mystery of that kingdom. By His obedience He brought about redemption. The Church, or, in other words, the kingdom of Christ now present in mystery, grows visibly through the power of God in the world. This inauguration and this growth are both symbolized by the blood and water which flowed from the open side of a crucified Jesus,(5) and are foretold in the words of the Lord referring to His death on the Cross: "And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all things to myself".(6) As often as the sacrifice of the cross in which Christ our Passover was sacrificed, is celebrated on the altar, the work of our redemption is carried on, and, in the sacrament of the eucharistic bread, the unity of all believers who form one body in Christ (8) is both expressed and brought about. All men are called to this union with Christ, who is the light of the world, from whom we go forth, through whom we live, and toward whom our whole life strains.

4. When the work which the Father gave the Son to do on earth (9) was accomplished, the Holy Spirit was sent on the day of Pentecost in order that He might continually sanctify the Church, and thus, all those who believe would have access through Christ in one Spirit to the Father.(10) He is the Spirit of Life, a fountain of water springing up to life eternal.(11) To men, dead in sin, the Father gives life through Him, until, in Christ, He brings to life their mortal bodies.(12) The Spirit dwells in the Church and in the hearts of the faithful, as in a temple.(13) In them He prays on their behalf and bears witness to the fact that they are adopted sons.(14) The Church, which the Spirit guides in way of all truth(15) and which He unified in communion and in works of ministry, He both equips and directs with hierarchical and charismatic gifts and adorns with His fruits.(16) By the power of the Gospel He makes the Church keep the freshness of youth. Uninterruptedly He renews it and leads it to perfect union with its Spouse. (3*) The Spirit and the Bride both say to Jesus, the Lord, "Come!"(17)

Thus, the Church has been seen as "a people made one with the unity of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit."(4*)

I've never read this particular document but would like to read more. This is written specifically with lay people in mind? 

I've never read this particular document but would like to read more. This is written specifically with lay people in mind? 

Hi IAL - no, Lumen Gentium, is not written specifically with lay people in mind, although it is addressed also to lay people.  And lay people later in the document do figure heavily.  Lumen Gentium looks at the Universal Church and all vocations and puts them into the context of The Universal Church.

If we do move through Lumen Gentium as a discussion, then I thought the Apostolate of The Laity Apostolicam Actuositatem could be looked at next. 

My opening post was just to get things started.  If you would like to read further than Para 4. by all means do so and if you come across anything later in the Document you would like to raise as a question, statement or issue for discussion, by all means do so.  No rules in this thread, let The Holy Spirit be our guide.  It is good to commence and finish readings of Catholic material especially texts out of Rome with a short prayer to The Holy Spirit.  It is a good habit when one sits down at the computer to say a short prayer and conclude computer sessions with same.  Or even light a little prayer candle with a short prayer beside one's computer somewhere.

I found this article while browsing others. It's not too long but I can't seem to get it to copy and paste without messing up the format royally. 

http://www.americancatholic.org/Newsletters/VAT/aq0904.asp

I like how the author of the article points out that laypeople are becoming more active in the Church. I immediately thought of Eucharistic ministers and also prison ministry, just to name a couple of ways. 

I almost wish it talked more of spirituality. I knew a 3rd Order Carmelite but never really knew much about it, then or now. But my understanding is that it's for lay persons who are living out a certain religious charism? (depending on the order?) 

Thanks for leaving the topics wide open, I am less afraid of saying something that doesn't fit in. If I've erred in what I've found or typed, please let me know! :) 

Peace!

This thread is for wherever it goes trusting in The Holy Spirit to lead us not my opinions as to HOW it should go.  So post away, IAL, to heart's content !  ...........and on any subject relating to The Church generally and lay people specifically.  In other words, post anything Catholic related ")

I almost wish it talked more of spirituality. I knew a 3rd Order Carmelite but never really knew much about it, then or now. But my understanding is that it's for lay persons who are living out a certain religious charism? (depending on the order?) 

It is not so much for a lay person (or priest) who is now living out a certain charism - rather moreso for the latter who have a desire to live out a certain charism and might be seeking to do so within a religious community of lay people.  I hope I can explain.

Certainly the older traditional religious orders have Third Order type communities attached, which are communities of lay people, married or single, also priests sometimes.  These lay communities attached to the religious order follow the same charism as the foundress or founder of the religious order.  Usually they have their own statutes (rules) attached to the actual Rule of Life of the founder or foundress.  Statutes interpret how a particular Rule is to be lived out.

Some of the newer orders are also developing lay communities attached to their own religious order.

You don't really have to know a great deal about the charism or religious order to make enquiries of a lay community or Third Order.  You can attend a few meetings (most meet regularly usually monthly) to find out.  Or if you are attracted to some religious order you could ring or write making enquiries stating that you are attracted to the lay branch and why, but that you really don't know much about the religious order itself i.e. honesty and openness.

Once one joins a Third Order or similar, one is then truly a member of that religious order as a lay person.

If you have any more questions on any subject at all, feel quite free to ask.  I will do my best to answer or another member may be better informed than I am.

That looks like an excellent link you have given!  I don't have time to read it just now but after posting this will be printing it out to read whenever I can.  Thank you for sharing!

As I was copying the article in your link, IAL, (I like to copy then paste into Word, then print) I noticed a question box at the end of the article.  Interesting questions to address, give some thought to - or simply sit in this thread:

1 - What have you witnessed of the changing role of the laity since Vatican II? What has been your reaction to these changes? your parish's reaction

2.- If the pyramid model of Church no longer fits the current experience of the People of God, what characteristics should the image or model have that replaces it?

3 - How well have you embraced your own baptismal call to holiness and service? What new opportunities for involvement might you condiser pursuing in the future?

I like some of the changes since Vatican ii. I'm not very fond of altar girls since women can't be priests and the idea behind having altar boys was to inspire them with the possibility of priesthood someday. I think that while a girl can serve Mass bringing the cruets to the priest JUST as well as boys can but that boys aren't serving as much as a result. 

But I love that people have become tremendously active in the Church. I know a lot of young people who are all on fire with love for God and work actively and pray together and share their faith enthusiastically with non believers in their age range. 

I love living in an age where I can talk to other people with so much information online. All this information at the tip of my fingers.

I'd love someday to be more active in my parish. I'd be interested someday in volunteering to help watch single moms' kids so they can work and get back on their feet. I have heard some parishes have older ladies (beatas if you will) who watch kids for single moms who work. They take a small fee to cover the cost of snacks and toys but it's to protect the little kids. I also think it's the best form of evangelization. 

St. Francis said, "Preach always, and when necessary, use words." right? 

Those are my thoughts so far... :) 

Peace. 

I like some of the changes since Vatican ii. I'm not very fond of altar girls since women can't be priests and the idea behind having altar boys was to inspire them with the possibility of priesthood someday. I think that while a girl can serve Mass bringing the cruets to the priest JUST as well as boys can but that boys aren't serving as much as a result. 

But I love that people have become tremendously active in the Church. I know a lot of young people who are all on fire with love for God and work actively and pray together and share their faith enthusiastically with non believers in their age range. 

I love living in an age where I can talk to other people with so much information online. All this information at the tip of my fingers.

I'd love someday to be more active in my parish. I'd be interested someday in volunteering to help watch single moms' kids so they can work and get back on their feet. I have heard some parishes have older ladies (beatas if you will) who watch kids for single moms who work. They take a small fee to cover the cost of snacks and toys but it's to protect the little kids. I also think it's the best form of evangelization. 

St. Francis said, "Preach always, and when necessary, use words." right? 

Those are my thoughts so far... :) 

Peace. 

not-available.gif

I love the way that children and lay people generally are more active in various ways relating to Mass.  We have a children's Mass in our parish once month.  It is a delight.  Hopefully and prayerfully, the generations now children will grow up more experienced as adults in serving in various capacities and with a sense of our role being not only to serve within The Church but everywhere at all times with a sense of evangelisation important.  Sadly, since Vatican II, I do think that the priest's overt role within The Church is not treated as sacredly (holy calling to the priesthood) as it once was.  I really would like to see that sense of the sacredness of the person of a priest come back - not quite in the distant manner it was pre V2 rather often, but a sense of what actually the priesthood is and to treat our priests with all due respect, which does not mean not in a quite friendly manner.  There is a very real balance between respect due and being quite friendly.  I think that the balance comes about by in sighting what exactly our priesthood actually is with the help of The Holy Spirit and His Grace.

I really agree with you in this,IAL!  I was caste right onto the fringes of my parish and diocese with onset of Bipolar and a very serious breakdown some 30 - 35 years ago now.  I was rejected, whereas previous to Bipolar I was in the "in crowd" and my opinions etc respected . Post onset Bipolar If I went up to speak to people in my parish, it was obvious they wanted to get away from me and I would allow them to do so gracefully.  But I lost all my sense of self confidence and self esteem which came from my roles, both secular and Church, pre onset of Bipolar.  Being able to express myself in writing online has returned that confidence and esteem in a very big way. Self expression through writing was always a skill of mine.  Then as icing on the cake I was able to obtain part time voluntary work in the offices of two charities.  This brushed up all my skills from my career days as a private secretary (pre Bipolar) and back then I was regarded in the business world as one of the best.  I had an excellent reputation, once again this was hurled to the ground with the onset of Bipolar.  Nowadays, I am a valued person in charity offices as a volunteer office worker and able to begin to build my life again.  My Dad actually gave me permission to leave home in my early forties.  Mind you, I had been married and living alone for quite a few years before he said to me officially "You're leaving it a bit late, Luv, but off you go!".not-available.gifnot-available.gif  :hehe2:    So here I am, 68yrs in Jan 2014, rebuilding my life and happy about it too.

With my parish now, having informed leadership that I suffer Bipolar and entrusting them to keep such information confidential, I am starting off very low key in the parish with lector duties (reading at Sunday Mass on a rostered system i.e. every four weeks).  I would like to become a familiar face in my parish and known before making it generally known that I suffer the second most serious mental illness in the business i.e. Bipolar Disorder.  Remains to be seen just how that information will be generally received.  In the main, I refuse to hide Bipolar.  I don't see why I should have to do so - and am considered by some a good witness to the fact that mental illness does not mean what many think that it does mean.  We have teachers, lawyers, doctors, judges - you name it - who suffer Bipolar Disorder and may be on medication even need hospital at times.

And I absolutely embrace with great Joy all the information available quite free on the internet - especially Catholic information.  My finances nowadays are very limited indeed.  Theology and spirituality from childhood always fascinated me.  I embrace too being able to exchange with fellow Catholics our many thoughts on many matters.  Writing is a totally different form of communication and where people just might have hesitancy because of my illness on a face to face basis, there is almost none on Catholic discussion sites - sometimes patronization and condescensions etc. but I have experienced far far worse due to Bipolar and one takes what comes along with gratitude - good things and the not so good things.

All takes place prayerfully and "All is Grace" (St Therese of Lisieux)

The Lord's Peace and His Joy to you, IAL, and to all.....................Barb :)

I'm perplexed by the animosity with which the dogma of the superiority is met with on this forum. Is there a reason why we can't be a happy family with higher and lower states of life being part and parcel OF this happy family? 

I have a brother who is a very successful business man, who lives REALLY well and I'm not jealous of him even though I am far from being financially wealthy. I am happy for him. I have a friend who is an active Sister, she is a blessing and a comfort to me, someone I look up to. You, Barbara, are someone who has edified me. 

If St. Paul compares the Body of Christ to an actual body, is there any real shame in being the foot? Or the ear? Isn't it just GREAT to be part of the Body of Christ in His Church? Isn't it also true, that I as a married woman, could become holier than a priest or bishop earning a higher place in heaven simply by following MY vocation? Isn't it beautiful to read about the other vocations and cheer everyone on? Do you believe all people have an equal place (reward) in heaven or like me, do you love to think that perfect happiness is attained like The Little Flower described, the thimble and the tumbler both overflowing? I get the impression that you think that any form of inequality is against the Bible. Yet we know looking at God's creation, that there are higher and lower positions. God didn't call a Seraphim to throw the devil into hell! And He didn't call St. Joseph to be the holiest person in the holy family, he's the head of the family, but you'd have a hard time proving that he's the holiest. ;)

I suspect I've misunderstood you in the other threads. I'm deeply grateful for this thread which I hope will teach me how to be a better layperson and serve Christ in my state. 

These are just some of the thoughts I've been pondering and would love to hear what you think. Thank you for leaving this thread open so that I can share this. 

Peace!

I'm perplexed by the animosity with which the dogma of the superiority is met with on this forum. Is there a reason why we can't be a happy family with higher and lower states of life being part and parcel OF this happy family? 

I dont know the why of it all - but if I reflect on families including my own (I have four surviving adult and married with children brothers), we do argue and sometimes have quite diverse opinions, but we really do love each other.

I have a brother who is a very successful business man, who lives REALLY well and I'm not jealous of him even though I am far from being financially wealthy. I am happy for him. I have a friend who is an active Sister, she is a blessing and a comfort to me, someone I look up to. You, Barbara, are someone who has edified me. 

My brothers are also very well off due to their careers in the workforce (they are now retired) and their wives had good jobs as well.  I went from riches to rags but nowadays I rejoice in all that has happened.  It is a Joy.  I feel no inferiority whatsoever where my brothers, their wives and families are concerned.  I was once on 'the right side of the tracks' and a very refined young women.  Post Bipolar I was eventually shifted by the government housing authority into an area that was beset by poverty and every kind of social problem imaginable.  I had to learn to speak their lingo if I was going to reach out to them.  And I did learn the lingo and was able to reach out.  Nowadays, the housing authority has shifted me back to the right side of the tracks, but after 30 years on the wrong side, it is very difficult for me indeed to learn to speak their lingo.

My brother commented "You are always saying the wrong things".  All I could do was laugh - who on earth is the puppet master pulling the strings who declares what one can say and cannot say in a social group.  To me, I am not so much saying the wrong things as finding life is not easy at all on the right side of the tracks if one is from the wrong side, which I now am.  When we listen to another person, conscious of it or not, we are also interpreting their motivations for saying what they have said.  Very often this interpretation is nothing more than a projection of our own selves onto the person speaking.  The motivation that others think I have is most often not my motivation at all.

If St. Paul compares the Body of Christ to an actual body, is there any real shame in being the foot? Or the ear? Isn't it just GREAT to be part of the Body of Christ in His Church? Isn't it also true, that I as a married woman, could become holier than a priest or bishop earning a higher place in heaven simply by following MY vocation? Isn't it beautiful to read about the other vocations and cheer everyone on? Do you believe all people have an equal place (reward) in heaven or like me, do you love to think that perfect happiness is attained like The Little Flower described, the thimble and the tumbler both overflowing? I get the impression that you think that any form of inequality is against the Bible. Yet we know looking at God's creation, that there are higher and lower positions. God didn't call a Seraphim to throw the devil into hell! And He didn't call St. Joseph to be the holiest person in the holy family, he's the head of the family, but you'd have a hard time proving that he's the holiest. ;)

To my way of thought, we have it all wrong.  We are thinking of The Church in quite worldly terms.  The greatest honour one can have is to be called and "vocare-d (vocare Latin "to call") in the very first place.  Who indeed AM I, that The Lord should call me in the first place to anything at all.   It is the Will of The Lord that is the honour and if I start begruding my call as "the foot" because I cannot speak, then I have things all wrong.  Where would the body be without a foot to walk?  Are not The Lord's Grace His to dispense as He may.  Who on earth am I to criticize or resent or whatever - no, rather I go about my task of walking knowing that my reward is and will be as great as the gift of speech.  If you get my drift, IAL!   :)   We need to be "spiritualized" to the very core of all we are - and not think in wordly terms, to me.  We need to glimpse darkly (fruit of prayer) who this Lord of ours is - and who we are in relation to Him ...........and be humbled to the very dust.

I suspect I've misunderstood you in the other threads. I'm deeply grateful for this thread which I hope will teach me how to be a better layperson and serve Christ in my state. 

I am not too sure what you mean.  And no matter.  Perhaps we have had a disagreement on one of the other threads, there is nothing at all wrongful in disagreeing.  And disagreeing does not mean that we do not Love each other.  At times we may not like each other because we disagree on something, but "like" has nothing to do with "Love".  On another thread we may find that we do like each other because we agree.  "Liking" is like a windmill, it will shift in the slightest breeze.

These are just some of the thoughts I've been pondering and would love to hear what you think. Thank you for leaving this thread open so that I can share this. 

It was you that suggested that such a thread could be started - I merely took up your suggestion - and a very sound suggestion.  The thread on Consecrated Virgins, the first thread is concerning to me, very concerning.  But one goes round in circles I found.  I think that the theology of CV does need to be stated by Rome or the disagreements will continue and the circles continue and this just might be very harmful to those who are being called to this beautiful vocation.  Theologians do disagree........and disagree..........and disagree some more.  But Rome has the casting vote to me.  When Rome says "Jump", I send off an email as it were "How high please?"   Unity was very dear to the Heart of Jesus and knowing He was very close to a dreadful death, Unity for His Church was his heartfelt plea to His Father. 

Peace!  And may The Lord's Peace and Joy be with you and yours also.

Paul to Romans Ch 12 :

" I BESEECH you therefore, brethren, by the mercy of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, pleasing unto God, your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world; but be reformed in the newness of your mind, that you may prove what is the good, and the acceptable, and the perfect will of God. "

If I am a "foot" and content to walk and not alarmed or envious, whatever, of the "mouth" which can speak, then I am "conformed" (or good and perfect at my own level) to the Will of God (see quote from Romans in previous post).  Which is superior, "feet" and walking, "mouth" and talking or what The Lord asks of us/The Will of God?  My response to that question is the answer to all of life's problems, turns and twists.

I need, as it were, to be perfectly content to be the "foot" I am called to be and necessary for the body to walk.  Would The Lord create any vocation at all that is not necessary at all, rather all vocations are entirely and very necessary, to His Mystical Body on earth, The Church.  For The Lord is not wasteful.  If I cannot sight my vital importance to The Church as a whole, then this does not mean that I am not vitally important - vitally!  Rather it means that I have work and prayer to do about and on myself. I am not seeing things as they truly are in reality.

It is not spirituality that is delusional, it is this world and the thoughts of this world that dismisses The Lord and spirituality, The Church.  It does not sight very often, nor can it sight, reality as it is.   I need to go out into this world as a particular sort of person, the person that I really am in Truth, in God, so that this world scratches it's head and thinks "What is it about this person?"   And I cannot do this without prayerful reflection and prayer per se - and daily.  The important thing about prayer is not how long I pray, rather that when I do pray, I am truly praying.  I have my quality time with Jesus, be it only five minutes put aside.  Do that over a period faithfully, and soon you will find you really need 10 mins and then so on and so forth.  But one has to start out on the journey and really live the journey to realize that Jesus really does what He says:

Matthew 19:29
And every one that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands for my name' s sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall possess life everlasting.

The reward is overwhelming and in this life - as well as to life everlasting.  I don't think that one has to literally leave all, rather it is the heartfelt resolution to make Jesus first and foremost in all things: material, spiritual, emotional, mental, physical (and the rest if I have missed anything).  The next question becomes "How can I do this in my particular life?" prayerful reflection provides answers.  Faithful prayerful daily reflection and The Church points us in the direction faithfully and continually.

So I have small children, none are even teens yet.

I'm a home school mom. We make our own noodles, bread, everything. We're going to petition the city to let us have chickens because of the heavy regulations here. I'm basically trying to recreate a "little house on the prairie" life for my little ones. 

Our priest has a number of mission churches that he has to see to, so our "Daily Mass" is only once a week at my specific Church.

What are some of the things I can do to serve Our Lord more actively? I want to see God. 

I think that we can still meander wherever The Spirit may lead be it backwards or forwards in the document itself or in our discussions.  But every so often I will post a few more paragraphs from the Papal Document, Lumen Gentium, to read prayerfully and reflectively and let The Lord take us where He May.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_const_19641121_lumen-gentium_en.html

Thus, the Church has been seen as "a people made one with the unity of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit."(4*)

5. The mystery of the holy Church is manifest in its very foundation. The Lord Jesus set it on its course by preaching the Good News, that is, the coming of the Kingdom of God, which, for centuries, had been promised in the Scriptures: "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand"(18). In the word, in the works, and in the presence of Christ, this kingdom was clearly open to the view of men. The Word of the Lord is compared to a seed which is sown in a field;(19) those who hear the Word with faith and become part of the little flock of Christ,(20) have received the Kingdom itself. Then, by its own power the seed sprouts and grows until harvest time.(21) The Miracles of Jesus also confirm that the Kingdom has already arrived on earth: "If I cast out devils by the finger of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you".(22) Before all things, however, the Kingdom is clearly visible in the very Person of Christ, the Son of God and the Son of Man, who came "to serve and to give His life as a ransom for many:"(23)

When Jesus, who had suffered the death of the cross for mankind, had risen, He appeared as the one constituted as Lord, Christ and eternal Priest,(24) and He poured out on His disciples the Spirit promised by the Father.(25) From this source the Church, equipped with the gifts of its Founder and faithfully guarding His precepts of charity, humility and self-sacrifice, receives the mission to proclaim and to spread among all peoples the Kingdom of Christ and of God and to be, on earth, the initial budding forth of that kingdom. While it slowly grows, the Church strains toward the completed Kingdom and, with all its strength, hopes and desires to be united in glory with its King.

6. In the old Testament the revelation of the Kingdom is often conveyed by means of metaphors. In the same way the inner nature of the Church is now made known to us in different images taken either from tending sheep or cultivating the land, from building or even from family life and betrothals, the images receive preparatory shaping in the books of the Prophets.

The Church is a sheepfold whose one and indispensable door is Christ.(26) It is a flock of which God Himself foretold He would be the shepherd,(27) and whose sheep, although ruled by human shepherds; are nevertheless continuously led and nourished by Christ Himself, the Good Shepherd and the Prince of the shepherds,(28) who gave His life for the sheep.(29)

The Church is a piece of land to be cultivated, the tillage of God.(30) On that land the ancient olive tree grows whose holy roots were the Prophets and in which the reconciliation of Jews and Gentiles has been brought about and will be brought about.(31) That land, like a choice vineyard, has been planted by the heavenly Husbandman.(32) The true vine is Christ who gives life and the power to bear abundant fruit to the branches, that is, to us, who through the Church remain in Christ without whom we can do nothing.(33)

Often the Church has also been called the building of God.(34) The Lord Himself compared Himself to the stone which the builders rejected, but which was made into the cornerstone.(35) On this foundation the Church is built by the apostles,(36) and from it the Church receives durability and consolidation. This edifice has many names to describe it: the house of God (37) in which dwells His family; the household of God in the Spirit;(38) the dwelling place of God among men;(39) and, especially, the holy temple. This Temple, symbolized in places of worship built out of stone, is praised by the Holy Fathers and, not without reason, is compared in the liturgy to the Holy City, the New Jerusalem (5*). As living stones we here on earth are built into it.(40) John contemplates this holy city coming down from heaven at the renewal of the world as a bride made ready and adorned for her husband.(41)

The Church, further, "that Jerusalem which is above" is also called "our mother".(42) It is described as the spotless spouse of the spotless Lamb,(43) whom Christ "loved and for whom He delivered Himself up that He might sanctify her",(44) whom He unites to Himself by an unbreakable covenant, and whom He unceasingly "nourishes and cherishes",(45) and whom, once purified, He willed to be cleansed and joined to Himself, subject to Him in love and fidelity,(46) and whom, finally, He filled with heavenly gifts for all eternity, in order that we may know the love of God and of Christ for us, a love which surpasses all knowledge.(47) The Church, while on earth it journeys in a foreign land away from the Lord,(48) is like in exile. It seeks and experiences those things which are above, where Christ is seated at the right-hand of God, where the life of the Church is hidden with Christ in God until it appears in glory with its Spouse.(49)

Edited by BarbaraTherese